• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] What kind of math were you better at?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've never seen that stuff before....college algebra?
In the last post, he mentioned derivatives, which is calculus. He's doing it the hard way.

The "exponential function" is e = 2.72.... , an unending number like pi. You've probably seen e before. Lots of science depends on raising e to a power. It's just something you see again and again. That's how I got familiar with it.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Henri Poincare noted a difference between those who fared better in algebra and those who did well in geometry. He said that those in geometry used something of a guess-and-check method with intuition, narrowing down the possibilities toward a direct answer. To the contrary, those who do well in algebra seek to prove something straight forward and directly, getting to the point immediately and in a linear fashion.

I did better in algebra in high school, though I'm not absolutely sure which one would be my best. Probably algebra.

I would also posit that those studies based on algebra are more abstract while the geometrical depend on more concrete faculties.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I've never seen that stuff before....college algebra?

The derivative is taught in any introductory calculus course. Calculus is sometimes taught in grade 12. Other times people wait until college to take it. Exponential functions y=(constant)^x are taught in grade 12 algebra. While you can solve the problem without calculus just by recognizing that when the constant is less than 1 it is decreasing and greater than 1 it is increasing, it is less rigorous and involves memorization of specific cases of specific functions (easy to forget after the exam is over).

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
In the last post, he mentioned derivatives, which is calculus. He's doing it the hard way.

The "exponential function" is e = 2.72.... , an unending number like pi. You've probably seen e before. Lots of science depends on raising e to a power. It's just something you see again and again. That's how I got familiar with it.

Never seen e before. All I've done is GED, then two math classes to make myself "qualified" to take a college algebra course.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had a really cool professor freshman year who explained how e was connected to the process of "taking something to a power", and when you think about it, that's why they call it an exponential function. At least, that's what I got from it.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
e=(1+1/n)^n as n goes to infinity.
It's an irrational number, just like pi.
If you want to see what it looks like to more decimal places check this out.

e is commonly used in this (y=e^x) form because it gains a lot of valuable properties.
The most important one is that it's easy to calculate its derivative.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Woo, 97 on my final exam.