• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJ Personality Traits

fishingdude

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hi, I'm curious to know if I'm unique or just another personality type. I don't know any other ISTJs, so maybe ya'll can help me. Are the following traits unique to me, or do they apply to all ISTJ's?

Learn best by seeing and doing - I've got to see it in action before it will sync in.
Excellent analytical thinker - Troubleshooting is child's play.
Dry/Sarcastic humor - Constantly joking to avoid real conversations.
Great awareness - Usually I know what's going on when no one else does.
Can only focus on one thing at a time - I can't juggle tasks (or balls for that matter).
Extremely private - Leave me alone, I'll let you in when I'm ready.
Poker face always present - It's not intentional, showing emotion doesn't come naturally to me.
Socially retarded - My jaw gets tired if I talk for more than a couple of minutes.
Very observant - I can remember lots of details, but I can't ever remember names.
Easily annoyed - I don't want to hear about what you watched last night.
Take everything literally - I know you were trying to make a joke, but that is unrealistic. Seriously.
Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions - I'm the king of turnovers in sports, but I'm good at chess.
Procrastinates - Why do it now, it can be done later.
Selfish - Helping others is an energy drain.
No style - I put no thought into what I wear. Usually I wear gray to avoid standing out.
Hate cleaning - Why make your bed, you just got to do it again tomorrow. A total waist of time.
Health conscientious - Would probably get really depressed if I let myself go.

I'm interested to know if there are other hermits like me out there. If you ISTJ's got some traits to add, post them. I'd like to compare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
My responses to your statements are in blue:

Learn best by seeing and doing - Yup, if you want me to learn it, you've gotta let me do it for myself.

Excellent analytical thinker - Yeah, I'm good at seeing potential pitfalls and solving problems

Dry/Sarcastic humor - Always...but for me I don't think I do it to avoid real conversations. It's just a part of who I am. I'm pretty light-hearted, but if a conversation needs to happen I'm willing to take it seriously. Humor is my defense for grief and tough stuff though.

Great awareness - At times...sometimes I'm just as clueless as the rest, though

Can only focus on one thing at a time - The jobs I've had have forced me into cultivating multitasking skills...so I can go either way on that one.

Extremely private - Yeah, pretty much. Sometimes I like it when people I'm curious about pry though...just not too much.

Poker face always present - I've been called "stoic" on multiple occasions.

Socially retarded - Nah, I've cultivated pretty decent social skills. So long as I'm 1-on-1 with someone I'm very comfortable. It's group social skills that bother me if I'm in a room of strangers or people I don't trust. I'm really socially retarded in a club/bar scene. I find it's best to just avoid such places.

Very observant - Yeah, it's the names that always escape me...ask me what they were wearing or look like instead.

Easily annoyed - Sometimes...it depends on what I think of the person. If I like the person, it's tolerable to a certain degree. If I think you're annoying to begin with, I'll probably avoid you like a plague.

Takes everything literally - I'm better with the literal world too. Metaphores are not a strong point.

Makes errors when forced to make quick decisions - On the contrary, gut/adrenaline decisions often work out in my favor.

Procrastinates - I procrastinate like it's my job. Everything always gets done though because I'm too responsible to not let it get finished. I'm an all or nothing person. I either throw myself in to a task, or I don't bother at all. I've never been good at that whole "Just do a little every day" thing.

Selfish - Yeah, people are tiring, but I kinda like it.

No style - I've trained myself to care. I am a female though...I think the standards are different.

Hate cleaning - I haven't made my bed in years.

Health conscientious - Eh, I'm not obsessive about it, but I like to stay active to a certain degree.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Learn best by seeing and doing - I've got to see it in action before it will sync in.

I'll memorize something the fastest doing something that uses it. Working at a fast food restaurant, I memorized the prices of everything, because I worked with them all day. If I tried to memorize them manually, it'd take 5x longer.

I'm not sure about that. I remember wanting to tell a girl in my math class, "but trying over and over again at the problem until you get it right is half the fun!"

If I'm uncomfortable, I resort to sarcasm and dry humor, definitely. Making jokes of people's logic is second nature when I'm uncomfortable.

Hmm. You'd have to explain that one more.

Can only focus on one thing at a time - I can't juggle tasks (or balls for that matter).

I thought that was just me! Juggling is hard to me, unless it's something technical.

It's all or nothing for me. If I'm not interested in you, I don't care if you exist. If you hit on a topic I'm interested in, good luck getting me to stop talking.

Poker face always present - It's not intentional, showing emotion doesn't come naturally to me.

You mean, acknowledging emotion doesn't come naturally! I love the inner workings of management, but there's one problem standing in my way. People have these things called emotions.

Very observant - I can remember lots of details, but I can't ever remember names.

Starting college, I learned a lot just by observing other students. There's a lot you can learn just by watching someone else! You can learn everything you're doing wrong, plus see why what you're doing is right because they're stuck doing the wrong thing!

I wish I had the guts to tell those people to STFU.

Takes everything literally - I know you were trying to make a joke, but that is unrealistic. Seriously.

A girl at work constantly makes fun of me for that. She tries to throw sarcasm my way, and I take it literally. She's taken to telling me bad things to take advantage of it.

Makes errors when forced to make quick decisions - I'm the king of turnovers in sports, but I'm good at chess.

I tried explaining that to my supervisor! She told me to hurry up when restocking something. I told her, "When you increase speed, you lose efficiency! I don't want to spend more time doing it because I drop something." She just kept telling me to hurry up.

I have 2 hours to do this. It takes a half hour to do. I'll wait an hour and a half. That's how I've thought about time my entire life.

Just because I applied for this job doesn't mean I signed up for an obligation to bring something to a Christmas luncheon I couldn't care less about!

Hate cleaning - Why make your bed, you just got to do it again tomorrow. A total waist of time.

cleaning != fun to me.

I'd have to add predictable. If you see me somewhere on a monday afternoon, odds are I'll be there again that next monday.

I've always hated diminishing returns!

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The red ones are the ones that really stuck out for me.
fishingdude said:
Learn best by seeing and doing Yes, which frustrates my teachers when they say, "I've explained how to do it twice already!" They don't get that I need to try it out myself before everything makes sense.
Excellent analytical thinker Everyone says I overthink and overanalyze. Don't know if I'm good at it. But I am good at finding flaws in others' plans, not so good at thinking of remedies.
Dry/Sarcastic humor I guess. I try to vary my humor a little, I think.
Great awareness I'm usually pretty aware, but sometimes not.
Can only focus on one thing at a time Yes, I'm monumentally bad at multitasking.
Extremely private Yeah, very much.
Poker face always present Right, and like you said, its unintentional. My facial cues are not obvious, but my vocal cues might be.
Socially retarded Yeah, I'm pretty bad in that area, though usually not to that degree.
Very observant I used to be great with names, but not much anymore. Usually, I'm pretty observant.
Easily annoyed Not really, though this has been getting more frequent lately.
Take everything literally I don't know. I guess my natural inclination is to be literal, but I don't always... I've learned some of the "other side's" tricks.
Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions Yes, I'm very bad at deciding quickly--I have to decide thoroughly and completely, not quickly.
Procrastinates Most of the ISTJs on this site have this in common. The other types are surprised by this, but it seems prevalent. Painfully true for me.
Selfish No, not really. Sometimes I'd rather be selfish, it would be my natural inclination. But I know that could cause complications later, so I avoid the mess by not going there.
No style I don't care much about style. I kind of have clothing "habits", but they're not really "style".
Hate cleaning I don't like cleaning, but I do like when things are clean and neat. In other words, I don't like the process itself. If it's more trouble than it's worth, forget it.
Health conscientious I never used to be, but I'm slowly getting a little more health-conscious. Overall, it's not a big deal to me, though.
raz1337 said:
Predictable People say I'm predictable, yeah.

I'd like to add Thorough in Thoughts and in Actions, since I thought of it up there in my reply.

Another weird thing I do is remember people's phone numbers by where I press the buttons on the phone keypad (though I also usually remember the numbers themselves if I need to). That's not a trait, but it's probably the result of a trait.

Last edited:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I remember things by visualizing what I'm trying to remember. If I'm trying to remember where something is in a room, I'll visualize everything that's in the room. It's basically a, "If I were walking into the room, where would it be?" thing.

I'd have to add over-analyzing also. I'm working on an English paper, and I think my biggest roadblock is my constant analysis of how I think the paper *should* be. It's keeping me from starting it, because I don't know how to go about saying things without knowing if I'm paraphrasing, plagiarizing, quoting or over-thinking it.

Spectre of the spam

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hi, I'm curious to know if I'm unique or just another personality type. I don't know any other ISTJs, so maybe ya'll can help me. Are the following traits unique to me, or do they apply to all ISTJ's?

Socially retarded - My jaw gets tired if I talk for more than a couple of minutes.
Take everything literally - I know you were trying to make a joke, but that is unrealistic. Seriously.
Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions - I'm the king of turnovers in sports, but I'm good at chess.
No style - I put no thought into what I wear. Usually I wear gray to avoid standing out.
Health conscientious - Would probably get really depressed if I let myself go.

I'm interested to know if there are other hermits like me out there. If you ISTJ's got some traits to add, post them. I'd like to compare.

My reponse.

1.) Totally dito. Have to see it to learn it. Just hearing it goes over my head.

2.) Not so much. If I have time I can figure most things out, but I tend to second guess myself to the point of inaction. Need others conformation to do tasks im not comfortable with.

3.) I would like to think so.

4.) Nope. I can go for weeks without noticing something. ( Except for haricuts for some reason)

5.) I can focus on more than one thing at a time, but I end up doing both jobs poorly as a result.

6.) Yep, I fill my conversation about myself with either the truth so noone will believe it for misinformation.

7.) Indeed. I (apparently) even look angry most of the time. I am very easy to make laugh though.

8.) I can and even like talking, but if i'm not careful I will make an utter fool out of myself.

9.) Opposite for me. I can't really remember names unless I FOCUS though, I mean really FOCUS. If I do that though, i'm good.

10.) Different again. I love hearing about people and what they think. Knowledge is power and I want power over you. Muahaha!

11.) Ditto. I am aware that i'm doing it, but I don't care! Sound does not exist in space!

12.) Ditto again.

13.) Even as we speak I have homework due tomorrow and its almost 9:00 PM.

14.) This one is nebulous. If I am in a mood I will help, if not, not.

15.) For a while, I was like that too. Lately i've been diversifying my appearence.

16.) NEVAR! MY BED MUST BE PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!!!!!1111!!!

17.) Me too, kind of.

saieditor

MBTI Type
ISTJ

I'll have a go.

Learn best by seeing and doing - YES

Excellent analytical thinker - YES
Dry/Sarcastic humor - YES
Great awareness - YES
Can only focus on one thing at a time - YES
Extremely private - YES
Poker face always present - YES
Socially retarded - Socially Clumsy is better.
Very observant - YES
Easily annoyed - YES
Take everything literally - YES
Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions - YES, PERFECT.
Procrastinates - YES
Selfish - NO, but others can drain you.
No style - YES, ISFP's are much better at this.
Hate cleaning - PERFECT!!!
Health conscientious - YES, Due self awareness.

I'd say you're in the ISTJ club. :smile:

Welcome, Hermit!

sade

This thread reminds me of my mom. Who I probably should call. When it's not 3 am.
Carry on. :D

fishingdude

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Thanks for the responses. This info is enlightening. We seem pretty much the same, but at least there’s some differences. It’s good to know that I’m not exactly like every other ISTJ out there.

So far, this is what I gather:
Learn best by seeing and doing - We all do this. Is it an ISTJ thing or does everyone learn best this way?
Excellent analytical thinker - We all seem to think analytically whether we want to or not.
Dry/Sarcastic humor – Most of us seem to share a similar sense of humor.
Great awareness – Let me explain further. I notice if a car behind me doesn’t use their blinker. I notice when someone’s tag is sticking out of their shirt or if they have a string on it. I know when I’ve got food on my face. I can tell when someone doesn’t like me. I notice tiny hairs on food. There’s tons of subtle things that I pick up, that most people around me don’t seem to notice. Is it just me, or an ISTJ thing? Maybe I’m wrong and I’m completely unaware of something I’m doing right now?
Can only focus on one thing at a time – This maybe just a male vs female thing.
Extremely private - It doesn’t feel natural to share my life with people I don’t feel close to.
Poker face always present – Sounds like we all have to make a conscious effort to express emotion.
Socially retarded – What I mean by this is that I don’t feel comfortable in social situations. I can talk to any one person, but in groups I experience anxiety. When I talk, it’s like my mouth and my brain are out of sync, and it comes out strange.
Very observant – This falls in line with the ‘Great Awareness’ trait. I pick up and remember details about stuff when I don’t mean to, but I can’t remember anything when I try to.
Easily annoyed – The more I think about this, the more I think it’s probably influenced by one’s environment more than anything. For instance, when I’m out and about, nothing much bothers me, I’m just an observer. When I’m at work however, every little minor annoyance that I would usually ignore is amplified because it’s repeated over and over and over. Maybe I just can’t be around people for 8 hours at a time without getting annoyed.
Take everything literally – Another trait that seems to come natural. We probably all take in information literally, but most of can probably process this to see if it was intended to be literal or not. It can make for some good laughs sometimes.
Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions – Except for Recoleta, we all probably need to think before we act.
Procrastinates – We all do this too. Maybe this is just a plague on our generation.
Selfish – This seems to be mainly me. I just automatically think of my well being before I think of others. I can’t help it.
No style – Another gray area. We all have a style, but what I mean is do you have a style that is trying to get noticed? If I buy a shirt, and one or more people comments on it, I may never wear the shirt again. I don’t like to stand out for some reason.
Hate cleaning – We seem split in this area. Personally, I like for things to be easily accessible, and if it’s not I’ll make it so. Organizing can be fun, but I could never see how cleaning could be anything other than a buzzkill. It’s a battle that can never be won, because no matter how clean you get it, it’s just going to get dirty again.
Health conscientious – This might just be me, but I don’t want to die of anything other than an accident or old age. A slow death does not appeal to me, so I eat right and exercise.
Predictable – Unfortunately, this is me too.
Thorough – A good trait to have, except when it turns to over analyzation.

I’d like to add that I’m afraid of heights and hate the cold weather. Surely, these are not ISTJ traits.

Spectre of the spam

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Thanks for the responses. This info is enlightening. We seem pretty much the same, but at least there’s some differences. It’s good to know that I’m not exactly like every other ISTJ out there.

So far, this is what I gather:
Learn best by seeing and doing - We all do this. Is it an ISTJ thing or does everyone learn best this way?
Excellent analytical thinker - We all seem to think analytically whether we want to or not.
Dry/Sarcastic humor – Most of us seem to share a similar sense of humor.
Great awareness – Let me explain further. I notice if a car behind me doesn’t use their blinker. I notice when someone’s tag is sticking out of their shirt or if they have a string on it. I know when I’ve got food on my face. I can tell when someone doesn’t like me. I notice tiny hairs on food. There’s tons of subtle things that I pick up, that most people around me don’t seem to notice. Is it just me, or an ISTJ thing? Maybe I’m wrong and I’m completely unaware of something I’m doing right now?
Can only focus on one thing at a time – This maybe just a male vs female thing.
Extremely private - It doesn’t feel natural to share my life with people I don’t feel close to.
Poker face always present – Sounds like we all have to make a conscious effort to express emotion.
Socially retarded – What I mean by this is that I don’t feel comfortable in social situations. I can talk to any one person, but in groups I experience anxiety. When I talk, it’s like my mouth and my brain are out of sync, and it comes out strange.
Very observant – This falls in line with the ‘Great Awareness’ trait. I pick up and remember details about stuff when I don’t mean to, but I can’t remember anything when I try to.
Easily annoyed – The more I think about this, the more I think it’s probably influenced by one’s environment more than anything. For instance, when I’m out and about, nothing much bothers me, I’m just an observer. When I’m at work however, every little minor annoyance that I would usually ignore is amplified because it’s repeated over and over and over. Maybe I just can’t be around people for 8 hours at a time without getting annoyed.
Take everything literally – Another trait that seems to come natural. We probably all take in information literally, but most of can probably process this to see if it was intended to be literal or not. It can make for some good laughs sometimes.
Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions – Except for Recoleta, we all probably need to think before we act.
Procrastinates – We all do this too. Maybe this is just a plague on our generation.
Selfish – This seems to be mainly me. I just automatically think of my well being before I think of others. I can’t help it.
No style – Another gray area. We all have a style, but what I mean is do you have a style that is trying to get noticed? If I buy a shirt, and one or more people comments on it, I may never wear the shirt again. I don’t like to stand out for some reason.
Hate cleaning – We seem split in this area. Personally, I like for things to be easily accessible, and if it’s not I’ll make it so. Organizing can be fun, but I could never see how cleaning could be anything other than a buzzkill. It’s a battle that can never be won, because no matter how clean you get it, it’s just going to get dirty again.
Health conscientious – This might just be me, but I don’t want to die of anything other than an accident or old age. A slow death does not appeal to me, so I eat right and exercise.
Predictable – Unfortunately, this is me too.
Thorough – A good trait to have, except when it turns to over analyzation.

I’d like to add that I’m afraid of heights and hate the cold weather. Surely, these are not ISTJ traits.

I don't mind hights, it's the FALL i'm terrified of. I don't care for the extreme cold much either.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Once heights get above like 2 feet, I won't jump. Never did, never will. I had a friend in the 3rd grade that would jump from trees. I never understood it. He was fearless apparently. I wonder what he's like now.

One another....

Eating while standing - My family doesn't understand how I can do it, but I'll tend to eat a lot of meals standing. I tried explaining it to my sister tonight, "The point is, if you're standing while eating, you're not obligated to the table. If I'm standing, I'm more apt to eat quickly. If I sit down, I'll be too relaxed." To which she replied, "Heaven forbid you're relaxed."

Seraph

MBTI Type
INTJ
Both of my parents are ISTJ, so I'll try to answer some of your questions.

From what I've seen, these points above are very similar to those I have witnessed from ISTJs.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Are any other ISTJ's constant nail biters? I've bit my nails my entire life.

Our description says we desire sequential order, but one thing about me is how I read a book. I find it very hard to read a book front to back. I want to skip over pages, skim through things, flip around. When I'm reading something, I might be starting on the page on the left, but I'll read a few paragraphs, then glance over and read the last 2 paragraphs on the right page, then backtrack through the second page to where I started. It's like looking at a book as a diagram.

fishingdude

MBTI Type
ISTJ

Our description says we desire sequential order, but one thing about me is how I read a book. I find it very hard to read a book front to back. I want to skip over pages, skim through things, flip around. When I'm reading something, I might be starting on the page on the left, but I'll read a few paragraphs, then glance over and read the last 2 paragraphs on the right page, then backtrack through the second page to where I started. It's like looking at a book as a diagram.

I don't bite my nails, but I do skip ahead in books. Mostly just the ones I want to finish and the info is irrelevant.

I've read that our personality types are very good with money. I don't know if I'm great at making it, but I am good at saving it. I don't spend money on stuff that's not vital. My home is free of decorations and aesthetically pleasing things, because that stuff means nothing to me. It has no practical use. When I do buy something, I usually do a lot of research on it before I do. Are ya'll like that?

saieditor

MBTI Type
ISTJ

Nail biting is not a defining characteristic of ISTJ's.

Nail biting, in my view is a manifestation of the mind.

Now that would be a new thing. A nervous ISTJ. How would that come about?

Probably on account of upbringing, pressure and socialisation. MBTI shows you quite clearly you are not born tabula rasa (with a blank slate) and have clearly defined preferences towards behaviour. Now then, how do parenting and childhood experiences ameliorate or enhance that? So look to the causes of the nail biting.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
fishingdude said:
There’s tons of subtle things that I pick up, that most people around me don’t seem to notice.
It's still pretty "sometimes yes, sometimes no" for me.
fishingdude said:
A slow death does not appeal to me, so I eat right and exercise.
Technically, things like heart attacks wouldn't be slow deaths, would they? If you want to get morbid...
fishingdude said:
do you have a style that is trying to get noticed?
I don't like clothes that "show-off", in a personality way. I just wear whatever's comfortable, cheap, and looks good to me, in that order of descending priority. Once I find something that I consistently like (for me it's plaid cotton long-sleeved shirts), then I keep buying that. I guess that becomes my "style".
fishingdude said:
I pick up and remember details about stuff when I don’t mean to, but I can’t remember anything when I try to.
Often happens to me, but not always.
fishingdude said:
no matter how clean you get it, it’s just going to get dirty again.
Yeah, I used to be a lot more strict about my cleaning until I realized this. Still, I keep things relatively tidy.
fishingdude said:
Maybe [procrastination] is just a plague on our generation.
Probably. But what's funny is that people think we are an exception to that trend. Doesn't look that way. :jew:

I don't bite my nails, but I have a nervous habit that's pretty close. My dad's an ISTJ also (I think) and he bites his nails.

I do skip around reading segments of a book I'm interested in, but I always come back to the parts I skipped--I have to make sure I didn't miss something, that the pieces of the story lock up together perfectly.

Sai, I don't know. I'm a very nervous person. Not always obvious on the outside, maybe. Though it could be about past/upbringing like you said.

Last edited:

fishingdude

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm a very nervous person. Not always obvious on the outside, maybe. Though it could be about past/upbringing like you said.

I'm pretty nervous too. As far as my upbringing having an effect on why I am the way I am, I don't know. My dad always did and still does embarrasses me, even if he doesn't mean too. Probably because he's 35 years older than me. May have had no effect on my personality development.

I do try to avoid confrontation like it's a disease. I've never gotten into a fight, but I have avoided several of them. I tend to be the one that usually breaks them up too.

I don't know if this is common among other ISTJ's or not, but I care a great deal of what people think of me. I wish I didn't, but that doesn't make it so. Maybe that's why I try to avoid attention so much, because there's less of a chance of me getting on someone's bad side.

Hunter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Learn best by seeing and doing - Definitely
Excellent analytical thinker - Hm...
Dry/Sarcastic humor – Definitely.
Great awareness – Sometimes
Can only focus on one thing at a time – Sometimes
Extremely private - Definitely
Poker face always present – If I want to have a poker face...
Socially retarded – Eh...I don't like alot of social situations.
Very observant – When I want to be...
Easily annoyed – Yes.
Take everything literally – Nope..I grew up with an INFP...
Often have errors when forced to make quick decisions – Nope
Procrastinates – Hate procrastinating
Selfish – Yup...I'm getting better though.
No style – I try to avoid alot of "style"..and I definitely don't have a natural sense of style..
Hate cleaning – I like cleaning when I want everyone to leave me alone...
Health conscientious – Not at all
Predictable – Nope.
Thorough – Depends.

Heh...I'm sorta stuck between ISTP and ISTJ..which I've come to find out are very different personalities...but I got both. XD

fishingdude

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yea, you didn't seem to match up on some of the big ISTJ traits as others. I don't know the difference between an ISTP and ISTJ personally.