• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs: best brain stormers?

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
A colleague of mine came up to me today, and asked if he could get some ideas from me for a project he's doing for his masters course in computer science. I told him: you've come to the right person (I know I must annoy my colleagues when I make these kinds of statements in the middle of the office, but I know it's the truth). He explained the problem, and sure enough, I gave him an idea which he loved and is going to use.

I find that I'm able to think of at least three or four alternative solutions to any problem on the spot (given that it's a topic I can relate to). I'm sure that this is an ability that is shared by other INTJs.

So:

- Are you an INTJ and are you able to do this kind of thing?
- Have you worked with other INTJs and do you find they are good for generating ideas?
- Do you think that INTJs are over-rated in this respect, and do you think there are other types better at brain-storming?

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
No. I would say I'm actually pretty phenomenal at coming up with a number of worthwhile, creative, interesting ideas.

My dad is an INTJ but I think his skill is coming up with structured tight knit ideas that he can implement.

INTJs I think are pretty one tracked in their ideas and brain storming IMO. They are more schemers and plotters than brain stormers. I would say ENTPs and INTPs take the crown in coming up with plausible, logical, creative ideas.

This is obviously assuming a moderately high to high level of intelligence of course.

V

violaine

I'm not INTJ (INFJ) but I'm good at "brain storming" in my field too (and in life, lol). It's something I love doing.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I can't brainstorm.

My ideas hit immediately, suddenly, and they demand there be no compromising.

Naturally, anyone who tells me to 'brainstorm' gets very frustrated with me.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
no.
the most open minded, hands down are the INxJs

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Dunno if they're the best. But I think NTs make some of the best brainstormers and NTJs keep the NTP brainstorming from gravitating towards batman. Whether or not that's a good thing is probably not for me to decide.

On a more serious note, I think INTJs are good at focusing on critical paths and identifying which things are essential to those paths and which aren't. They're good at radically eliminating superfluity. I've rarely found them to be creative, though. And (to me) creativity is a pretty crucial element in good brainstorming.

MissMurder

MBTI Type
eSTP
I love brainstorming. I can be pretty damn good at it if I want to be.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hahah, you're joking right? INTJ. Open minded. (Ni, Te) you couldn't create a more closed circuit if you tried.

lol
the most open-minded - yes
not the most flexible

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think brainstorming takes on many different guises: refining ideas, creating associations, generating entirely new ideas, etc.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
INTJs are open-minded... but in terms of brainstorming... I'll say Ne of ENXP would be far more creative.

I can come up with one of two workable solution for something that'll probably work, as compared to my ENTP friend who comes up with 10s of them. True, some of them are absolutely impractical but there'll be a few gems in the mix.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think brainstorming takes on many different guises: refining ideas, creating associations, generating entirely new ideas, etc.

I think INTJ's do a good job at combining them into one package but they don't excel at any one. They will consistently produce good workable ideas but with a NTP mentality there is always something to be added to NTJ ideas. With NTP's there is always something to be refined.

lol
the most open-minded - yes
not the most flexible

Ha yeah. maybe if we could actually SEE what the hell goes on in there instead of getting little Te bites with their own personal assurance that their open to ideas and that their ideas are great.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
ENPs would probably be the best brainstormers.

INJs are kind of like, if brainstorming were fishing, they soon have something really heavy on the other end of the line, and they really want to figure out what it is, despite the fact that, while it could be a big fish or the Loch Ness Monster, the hook may have just caught on the other boat ten yards away.

Pretty much, the idea of there may be plenty of fish in the sea, but this is the one I want right now.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
Keirsey description
According to Keirsey, Masterminds (INtj) are natural strategists, better than any other type at brainstorming approaches to situations.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
INTJ - Concise but somewhat elaborate ideas
INTP - Precise and elaborate ideas
ENTP - Elaborate and some what concise ideas
ENTJ - Concise and to the point ideas.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Accuracy, Brevity, Clarity - the ABCs of Te writing :D

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Ha yeah. maybe if we could actually SEE what the hell goes on in there instead of getting little Te bites with their own personal assurance that their open to ideas and that their ideas are great.

Perhaps if you were to shift perspective you might...see.

Ni is probably the process closest to the concept of inspiration, so it makes sense for INXJs to have a particular gift for brainstorming and coming up with meaningful connections triggered by a very minimal stimulus.

Actually, it's interesting...I lack the protective impulse that many people have about their ideas. I know there are more where they came from anyway.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
A colleague of mine came up to me today, and asked if he could get some ideas from me for a project he's doing for his masters course in computer science. I told him: you've come to the right person (I know I must annoy my colleagues when I make these kinds of statements in the middle of the office, but I know it's the truth). He explained the problem, and sure enough, I gave him an idea which he loved and is going to use.

I find that I'm able to think of at least three or four alternative solutions to any problem on the spot (given that it's a topic I can relate to). I'm sure that this is an ability that is shared by other INTJs.

So:

- Are you an INTJ and are you able to do this kind of thing?
- Have you worked with other INTJs and do you find they are good for generating ideas?
- Do you think that INTJs are over-rated in this respect, and do you think there are other types better at brain-storming?
I'm pretty good at stuff like that, too. My ISTP husband's ideas are more practical than mine, but also very good.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
INTPs could take INTJs in a brainstorming contest any day. There's always a storm in my brain.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Perhaps if you were to shift perspective you might...see.

Ni is probably the process closest to the concept of inspiration, so it makes sense for INXJs to have a particular gift for brainstorming and coming up with meaningful connections triggered by a very minimal stimulus.

Actually, it's interesting...I lack the protective impulse that many people have about their ideas. I know there are more where they came from anyway.

The thing is your judgement factor Te only allows people to see short tidbits. We don't ever actually see the brainstorming process. Ti lays it all out in intricate detail, Te by definition categorizes and parses it. That is why Te users are more concise and practical on average.