• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Monotone and NT?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
So, I've been wondering lately if flatness, deadpan, and monotone in voice and vocal inflection have any relationship to type, and specifically to NT's. It seems as though it is part of the NT stereotype, but I'm not sure if there's any truth to it.

So how about it? Do you know many NT's that speak that way? Do you know any that don't? What are the patterns that you've noticed with regards to these two categories?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
INTP are monotone. It's because they often lecture rather than converse. Typical INTP conversation: "Actually... (drones)."

ENTP: I actually punctuate my conversation with hand chops and Tourrette's like outburts.
ENTJ: Maybe a little monotone sometimes.
INTJ: Occasionally, but more quiet and calm than monotone.
INTP: See above.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Synarch, knock it off, you make it too easy.

INTP: Monotonous truth.

ENTP: Exciting bullshit.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
So then who gets monotonous bullshit?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I'll sometimes have the tendency to detach from what I'm saying at the moment while I think of someone else, whether it relates to what I'm talking about or not.

So the act of talking almost becomes secondary as it relates to what's on my mind.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'll sometimes have the tendency to detach from what I'm saying at the moment while I think of someone else, whether it relates to what I'm talking about or not.

So the act of talking almost becomes secondary as it relates to what's on my mind.

Exactly. That's probably why you bore the shit out of people. If you can't pay attention to what you're saying, why would someone else? :)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
There is skill involved. I know an INTP who will create the most boring stories you've ever heard, somehow draining the anecdotal quality right out of them.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Exactly. That's probably why you bore the shit out of people. If you can't pay attention to what you're saying, why would someone else? :)

I might not be paying all my attention to what I'm saying, but it will still have twice as much depth to it than an ENTP paying 100% attention to his nonsense. :cheese:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
There is skill involved. I know an INTP who will create the most boring stories you've ever heard, somehow draining the anecdotal quality right out of them.

Made boring from his voice, or from the actual invention of the story?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I might not be paying all my attention to what I'm saying, but it will still have twice as much depth to it than an ENTP paying 100% attention to his nonsense. :cheese:

Yes, because most people want to hear INTP deep thoughts vs. ENTP dick jokes?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Monotone is something I would be more inclined to associate with aspersers, something not uncommon in INTs, but not NT types in general.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Made boring from his voice, or from the actual invention of the story?
Hmm...I would say, if you take an interesting story, and include all the details which aren't important whatsoever, and forget the punch line, there you have it.

T

ThatGirl

ahhh, if only you INTPs could learn to keep up, no worries friend it will make sense in about a week or so.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I'll usually try to keep any unnecessary details out of what I'm saying. I have an INFP friend who will spend half of his words to list pointless details if you let him.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hmm...I would say, if you take an interesting story, and include all the details which aren't important whatsoever, and forget the punch line, there you have it.

Aha...

Monotone is something I would be more inclined to associate with aspersers, something not uncommon in INTs, but not NT types in general.

I have a pretty bad monotone voice, but I don't have Asperger's (nor do I even come that close on that one Asperger's test). So it's the I and not so much the NT per se?

Does anyone know of any IN/SF types that have monotone voice? I find it interesting because of all of the IN/SF's that I've been able to contingently identify, none of them have this type of voice.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'll usually try to keep any unnecessary details out of what I'm saying. I have an INFP friend who will spend half of his words to list pointless details if you let him.
I'm a huge a-hole, as you know, so I'll cut straight in saying "Blah. Get to the point."

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm a huge a-hole, as you know, so I'll cut straight in saying "Blah. Get to the point."

Usually this just happens at work in which case I'll smile and nod and then when they look away I'll take off down the hallway or start talking to someone else. Short attention span cannot handle unnecessary detail. Email should be no more than 3 sentences.