• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Monotone and NT?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So how about it? Do you know many NT's that speak that way? Do you know any that don't? What are the patterns that you've noticed with regards to these two categories?

I have learned a lot about rhetoric during my short life, and people have always thought of me as charismatic... I have certainly never been described as "monotone". My family has a strong tradition of telling stories to our children, it might be why.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was just thinking about this topic the other day, except it was about having a flat affect. I have a friend who I can never tell if what she says is genuine or not because she has such a flat affect, which includes, her having a monotone almost constantly. But the thing is, she is an F. A very strong F. So this tells me that she has conditioned herself to have this flat affect.... probably because she fears exposing her emotions and being rejected by people because of this.

I'm very animated in real life so the contrast in behavior between us is stark to the onlooker but I really don't think the things we are feeling inside are much different.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Let's settle this empirically.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Was that you htb? I didn't hear any lack of inflection.
Heh, nor should there have been! That is me, more or less talking for the sake of it.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if I sound monotone, those that have heard me on Vent will have to comment on it [MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION]

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ha. I have been told that I have a quiet, monotone voice.

Litsnob

I think that I vary depending on context, mood and company. I can be lively, animated, excited and even loud if I am talking about something that I feel great interest in or passion for. If I am listening to a speaker who is monotonous I notice it right away. I learned early that expressive speaking and reading were good things, skills, which I intended to master.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have more trouble with vocal inflection if I don't know the people involved as well or when I'm on the phone. This is one reason why I hate the phone. Some people have asked if I was tired when I wasn't due to my tone of voice. When I'm comfortable with everyone, I'm okay but I admit, it was something that had to be learned. I still have moments when the inflection of my voice doesn't quite match what I say. It isn't deadpan but just mismatch in general. When I'm going on about something, I may talk really slowly or if I really want to get it out, I talk pretty quickly, there's barely any middleground.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I tend to come off as the same tone no matter what emotion or situation I am. I tend to sound somewhat cheerful by default. It gets annoying because people think I am joking when I am angry. I also sometimes sound very deadpan when I am in a bad mood.

So not sure if entirely deadpan for me.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
anyone who has chatted with me verbally can attest to the fact that my voice is not flat at all... i only talk that way when it helps in joke delivery or to make my words stand out... i have ran into some monotone nt's, but i have ran into plenty like myself that are very expressive...

post script:

i think of inflection and body language as important tools...

rav3n

Untrue for me, albeit enough times, people tell me I should either host a late night jazz channel or tell bed times stories. :laugh: