• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Monotone and NT?

MissMurder

MBTI Type
eSTP
Hm, I'll have to ask someone if I speak in a monotone manner. I certainly don't think so.

EDIT: I asked my brother. He says I can be monotone at times. But then he commented that everyone has the capability of speaking in a monotone fashion sometimes.

kaboom

MBTI Type
INTP
Hmm...I have been accused of using a monotone.

I suppose I sometimes do when I really get going on a topic....but I speak so little( write a lot) that it can be hard to really know or rare that I get going.

LucrativeSid

I don't think I sound monotone. Maybe just once in a while when I have no energy or I don't care about what I'm saying. What do you think, Ventrillo people, am I monotonous?

I'd guess INTPs would have it the worst and ENTPs the least.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't know, for a while I was in monotone denial, but since everyone I've asked has told me that I have it pretty bad, I've been forced to relent. The point: your voice sounds WAY different to you than it does to other people.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know, for a while I was in monotone denial, but since everyone I've asked has told me that I have it pretty bad, I've been forced to relent. The point: your voice sounds WAY different to you than it does to other people.

I might be in monotone denial too. But I don't think I have it that bad when I'm not in "information sharing" mode. I've never asked my friends.

But to be fair to us, I think I would rather be around the average monotone speaker than the average polytone speaker who often isn't really saying as much as their expression would lead you to believe.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
INFJ's are known for monotone (and general lethargic face expressions) much more than any NT. I've definitely noticed the drawl that a lot of us (not necessarily all of us, though), have.

Nobody3612

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah, I've got the monotone pretty bad, but I think its because I'm hardly ever aware of how I'm feeling. I've always related tone to emotion and I've never related myself to emotion.

I resent the implications that a monotone makes you boring. Just 'cause the cake dosen't look nice dose not mean it tastes plain.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know if anyone's said this yet, but Asperger's is characterized by abnormal speech/cadence. There might be a link between Asperger's and type, but I'm not sure. Would be an interesting study/survey.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I know I'm not an NT, but I thought you might be interested to know that I naturally have a monotone. People used to make fun of me (in more-or-less a friendly way) and how I would say sensitive things with absolutely no emotion in my voice.

After connecting my emotions to my voice (through years of acting, mostly) this problem has disappeared. However, when I'm upset or irritated it never fails that my monotone comes back. That's pretty much how you can tell that I'm upset. I'm not sure if anyone I know has picked up on it yet.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My voice varies from having a monotone quality to having a sing-songy sorta thing.

T

ThatGirl

I have NEVER ever BEEN accuSED of BEing MoNoToNe. If AnyTHing ToO LouD

What can I say I speak from the abs

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
There is skill involved. I know an INTP who will create the most boring stories you've ever heard, somehow draining the anecdotal quality right out of them.

Typical INTP:

f_suckingawesm_a90eab8.jpg

Addict_Inquiry

MBTI Type
ENTJ
My voice shows excitement and seriousness, and has a tendency to get higher-pitched when I'm emotional.

If I'm being arrogant, I sound like I know what I'm saying.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Nope, quite the opposite. I'm mistaken for feeling more strongly about things than I really do because I tend to be rather animated and expressive.

Oh by the way, on this subject, you might find it interesting that when I went through vocal training whilst changing sex from female to male, the biggest thing the coach kept pressing as the most notable difference between male and female speech patterns is that men just tend to use a lot less tonal variation and to talk more monotonously than women. It's kinda funny... in my childhood and teens I was criticized for being monotonous and so I trained myself by imitating 'real' women, to speak more expressively. Then I had to undo that later on and the way I've landed I'm still more expressive than the average guy. I just can't do that whole taciturn, silent warrior thing lol This might be pertinent to the T/F thing if they tend to generally correlate to male/female.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Nope, quite the opposite. I'm mistaken for feeling more strongly about things than I really do because I tend to be rather animated and expressive.

same here.

and thank you for saying that in only two sentences.