• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTP vs. ENTP: Type Differences and Similarities

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTP vs. ENTP: Type Differences & Similarities

Understanding the respective ordering of NTPs’ functions is also of considerable importance, allowing us to anticipate key differences in their presentation. Namely, because ENTPs’ dominant function is Ne rather than Ti, they are apt to:

-Be more talkative, socially assertive, and collaborative
-Prefer exploring ideas with others rather than via written communication or independent ideation
-Exhibit less inward focus and greater distractibility; may have trouble staying on task / topic
-Display greater versatility and breadth of interests; life seems too short to satisfy their inexhaustible curiosity

Guided and directed by Introverted Thinking (Ti), INTPs are inclined to:

-Be comparatively less talkative; communicate more slowly, measuredly, and less fluidly; exhibit greater concision in their diction
-Prefer written communication or independent ideation to allow for more careful evaluation / expression of ideas
-Exhibit greater autonomy and self-direction; slower to solicit others’ help or input; prefer making judgments and decisions independently; routinely seek solitude or tune out the world around them for the sake of undisturbed thought
-Display a more circumscribed set of interests

It is worth noting that these distinctions largely involve differences of degree rather than kind, which seems appropriate in light of functional redundancy of these two types. Personal experience with INTP vs. ENTP types is thus invaluable for developing a sense of their respective presentations and proclivities.

Although both of our NTP types have Extraverted Feeling (Fe) and Introverted Sensing (Si) in the bottom half of their functional stacks, Fe is the inferior and most unconscious function for INTPs, while Si fulfills this role for ENTPs. To compensate for inferior-function related concerns or deficits, INTPs tend to over-emphasize and idealize certain Fe matters, and ENTPs Si ones.

Introverted Sensing (Si) references the past—its practices, beliefs, traditions, etc.—to inform the present. More specifically, it favors those things which have become deeply familiar and comforting to the individual, commonly engendering a sense of sentimentalism and perhaps, for the ENTP, a sense of awe or mystery when reflecting on the past. ENTPs often exhibit a sort of romanticism toward the ideas or practices of certain historical periods they have come to see as preferable to those of the present. I have on more than one occasion found myself surprised when an otherwise open-minded, forward-thinking ENTP suddenly becomes very impassioned, even dogmatic, about a certain issue which on further discussion proves to be tied to an idealized past.

For instance, in my recent conversation with an ENTP twenty-something about modern dating practices, he confessed his belief that Americans’ approach to love and marriage was probably better 20, even 50, years ago. The fact that he had come to this conclusion so early in life suggested to me that he had, at least on this occasion, sacrificed his dominant function (Ne), which, apart from its Si antagonist, would surely be thrilled by the smorgasbord of options available on the modern dating scene.

I’ve also observed many ENTPs eulogize certain historical periods in connection with their religious heritage. The solution to our modern ills, for such individuals, is not to look forward, but backward. Seen through the sentimental and idealized lens of inferior Si, the past is a idyllic place that we (or more accurately, the ENTP) must remain connected to. Psychologically, this might be viewed as a projection or symbol of ENTPs’ desire to connect with and integrate their inferior Si.

While many INTPs also enjoy reading and studying history, they are typically more dubious toward the prospect of salvation through the resurrection of ancient traditions. The closest INTPs might come, in this respect, is adopting some sort of anarcho-primitivist philosophy with an eye toward undercutting consolidated power structures and augmenting individual freedoms. […] the psychospiritual quest for INTPs is largely centered on the reconciliation of Ti and Fe. There are at least two foundational concerns in this quest: one involves people / relationships and the other meaning / purpose.

Despite their status as dominant thinkers, INTPs commonly display a keen interest in studying and/or engaging with people. My INTP uncle, for instance, is a lifelong student of Christianity not to mention religion in general. He follows all the leading theologians and influential players on the modern religious scene, including acquainting himself with their academic backgrounds and how they are all connected. For him, it’s not just the theology that’s interesting, but the lives of the thought leaders themselves. Although rarely engaging with these individuals directly, he envisions himself as a participant in this broader theological community and its ongoing dialogue.

INTPs are also meaning-seekers, or put more negatively, they worry about the absence of meaning in life generally and their lives in particular. Due to the subconscious nature of their feeling function, they may struggle more than other types to experience value in life’s simple pleasures. Their typical response is to seek meaning in the abstract, often through the lens of philosophical, religious, or psychological constructs. They sense that finding the right philosophy or worldview will help them ward off threats of nihilism and meaninglessness.

While it’s possible that I haven’t surveyed a sufficient number of ENTPs, I have never met an ENTP who was deeply plagued by concerns about the futility of life. Granted, not all INTPs overtly struggle, or have reached the point in their lives where they will struggle, with these issues, but for INTP intellectuals, in particular, concerns about meaning / meaninglessness are commonplace. Whether we explain this issue in terms of INTPs’ inferior Fe or ENTPs’ more optimistic disposition, it does appear to be type-related.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Kind of adding my own two cents, take it with a grain of salt. I've heard it said that ENxPs are one of the less extroverted of the Es. I have met some very withdrawn ne-doms so I believe it, of course it varies from individual. Ne is a function that manifests through ideas so it does not need to be fed by people as much as some of the other extroverted functions. I would say that ENTPs lead with ne so they bounce from one idea to another more than INTPs would. With INTPs, they lead, viewing the world through an annalytical lense with that unfiltered ti-ness. I want to say that ENTPs would be more freespirited and outgoing than their I counterparts but again, it varies from individual to individual.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read this article independently in the last week and thought the Si vs Fe thing was interesting, although I don't really get Si as a sign of fascination (and I always was focused on Fe growing up... trying to understand why people were invested in it, what demands were fair, not fair, etc -- all of which makes sense now). My Si is more nostalgic to me but not really the bedrock of anything -- it's of personal, not enduring, interest, and creates emotional resonance in my life with things I am familiar with and thus feel some level of attachment to even if objectively I don't see them having universal value.

One interesting thing is that over on INTPf I've had a few folks think I was ENTP. I actually get it, although in real life you would either call me a recluse or a sociable introvert. I'm very open and generally responsive but not super-initiating... But my online persona has changed more to where I no longer care as much if someone likes me, it's more important for me to say what I think and/or keep people out of my space if they're intruding too much. I don't invest as much in long philosophical posts anymore either. So the terse, witty/acerbic posts and the more aggressive style esp on that forum was getting me read as more typical of ENTP.