• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Deciding how to live

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think personality is essentially a decision we make on how to deal with life. As such, I think our personality emerges gradually from basic rules we choose as children, which have larger implications and mold who we are.

For example, I think some people at some point decide "being nice is important to me". I think other people decide that "being smart is important to me". Our personalities and predispositions may follow from such essential choices.

My question for you is: what is the central rule that dictates how you live?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Let me make this a little easier, if there were one rule you HAD to pick, what would it be?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Let me make this a little easier, if there were one rule you HAD to pick, what would it be?
kill-em-dead-250.jpg

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enjoying my life is important to me. If I have to step outside of my comfort zone in order to have a better existance, so be it.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
patie..... oh, sorry, am I overloading your attention span? ;)

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
So many to choose from... just one? Hmm... :huh:

I guess I'll pick doing what makes me happy regardless of the effect it has on my social status.

MissMurder

MBTI Type
eSTP
One central rule that dictates my entire existence? Initially I was going to post a sarcastic response, but then I got to thinking about it. What is my central motivation in this life?

1. I want to enjoy my existence.

2. I want to be proficient in many different areas.

3. I want to be successful.

4. I want my family to be happy, healthy, and clothed, with a stability they can depend on.

If I had to choose from all of the above, I'd choose the 4th. But the 4th could also be looked at as the same as the 3rd... since that is my definition of success. And the 3rd and 4th are an essential part of the 1st. How can I enjoy my existence without 3 and 4? 2 is automatically fulfilled in everything I do. That's just how I operate. If I do something, I learn all I can about it, make lots of mistakes and learn from them, and then eventually reach a level of proficiency that satisfies me.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
If I had to pick one philosophy to associate with, I'd choose secular humanism.

As for just one single rule or phrase to live by... I haven't found one I like enough yet.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I don't know for sure but here we go in no particular order:

- I want to treat others and be treated as an equal.

- I want to have some sort of purpose.

- I want to eat chocolate and vanilla ice cream whenever I feel the urge.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Be consistently curious and interested, that could just be the ADD talking though.

MissMurder

MBTI Type
eSTP
One central rule that dictates my entire existence? Initially I was going to post a sarcastic response, but then I got to thinking about it. What is my central motivation in this life?

1. I want to enjoy my existence.

2. I want to be proficient in many different areas.

3. I want to be successful.

4. I want my family to be happy, healthy, and clothed, with a stability they can depend on.

If I had to choose from all of the above, I'd choose the 4th. But the 4th could also be looked at as the same as the 3rd... since that is my definition of success. And the 3rd and 4th are an essential part of the 1st. How can I enjoy my existence without 3 and 4? 2 is automatically fulfilled in everything I do. That's just how I operate. If I do something, I learn all I can about it, make lots of mistakes and learn from them, and then eventually reach a level of proficiency that satisfies me.

I was talking with my friend about this post, asking her opinion on it... etc. It was during that conversation that I realized the common denominator between all 4 of my "rules". The "rule" that decides how I live is living according to my God-given destiny and purpose. It encompasses all 4 of my rules and then some, and it's the one common thread that binds them all together.