• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How good is your situational awareness and coordination?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am curious to know if any NT's have learned to not run into walls, and or fall off curbs on a daily basis.

I can be incredibly clumsy, and was through most of my childhood. I was competative, but utterly trash at coordination. So I failed at sports in school. The only thing I seemed to be able to do with moderate skill was throw. Mostly because I would judge how much power and trajectory it took to reach a goal while imagining hand-eye coordination and it seemed to work.

So I was thinking if anyone has decently developed any sensory functions out of necessity.

I ended up developing some situational awareness as I got older, to avoid constant projectiles in my life. While I am not usually consciously aware of this ability, it comes in handy. Especially when you almost drop your phone.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Nope! Being uncoordinated is easily one of my greatest faults. In fact I joke that it is SO bad it's more like an uncanny skill.

For me it's more an issue of interacting with external objects rather than running into things.
Cords are the bane of my existence in this way. I will get the m caught on, wrapped, tied in ways you would think cosmically impossible.

Oddly enough, situational awareness is one of my strongest traits. Sometimes I feel like my brain is a damned quantum computer in that way-and my body just just can't keep up with the information.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nope! Being uncoordinated is easily one of my greatest faults. In fact I joke that it is SO bad it's more like an uncanny skill.

For me it's more an issue of interacting with external objects rather than running into things.
Cords are the bane of my existence in this way. I will get the m caught on, wrapped, tied in ways you would think cosmically impossible.

Oddly enough, situational awareness is one of my strongest traits. Sometimes I feel like my brain is a damned quantum computer in that way-and my body just just can't keep up with the information.

This makes me wonder exactly what function situational awareness falls under. I believe coordination is definately a sensing thing though. :shrug:

rav3n

I'm average in coordination. Can do if I put serious effort into it but not to the level of Se doms and auxs. One sport that I'm decent at is downhill skiing where I can kick the ass of the average male. But there are plenty more sports where I'm average to below average.

The sensory environmental issue is more applicable with INTs. ENJs have tertiary Se.

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am good at sports requiring Se, yet I wasn't able to find my socks today, realizing that I have left them in the other house after hours.

Footnote: I am not wearing socks at the moment.

Footnote 2: I am still not wearing socks.

Last edited:

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine is absolutely horrific. I'm constantly tripping over things and walking into walls that are right in front of me, yet my mind is too busy wandering in too many different directions to take notice.

As far as sports? My coordination wasn't too bad in that respect, yet I never really cared to improve beyond any sort of rudimentary level.

I have no ability whatsoever to assemble, fix, or diagnose any sort of problem that would require tools -- if you asked me to assemble a piece of IKEA furniture and gave me all the necessary tools and instructions (which I wouldn't read anyway, because instructions are for suckers. That, plus I like doing it my own way and ending up with so many extra parts) and recorded me trying to put it all together, you'd probably think you were watching an awareness raising commerical paid for by an organization seeking donations to help adults with down syndrome.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been practicing a lot of sonic meditation... basically listening to sounds in the environment. Part of this also involves learning to be really stealthy. So, in some sense, perhaps.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i have never felt clumsy... absent minded yes, but i don't stumble about and into things... for example, there was a time i was riding a bmx over ice/snow when the back tires disturbed some leaves as i applied the front brake... the bike went sideways, so i stood on one pedal and planted a handle bar... the bike spun 360° and i popped it back up and continued riding without touching the ground... i was just in a thread about "physical intelligence" being related to type, but i haven't really noticed a lot of it myself...

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I nearly lost my life once because I did not run/dodge an impending threat. I froze in place instead.

Enough said.

Herwig

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so
In this kind of coordination i'm not bad. For example when i have a glass of drink or a bottle in my room, there are many stuff like computers i don't want to damage. So i have my eye on it not doing some clumsy. But my orientation, for example in the city is not good. As far as i know many technicians have this in common. When i talk to a person and we go to a place i never been before, then often i wouldn't find the way back so easily, because i didn't take notice of my surroundings when talking.

Still when talking with someone, sometimes it almost happened i ran into walls, yes. But alone rather not.

Situational Awareness: I don't take in the surroundings in a sensory manner. But when I was young i learned when there are many people sticked together, for example in a tram - then I'm alaways aware that someone could steal my briefcase, the more it is realistic it could happen. It's not because I'm so much afraid it could happen, it's learned that my unconsious takes care for it. SoI don't think about it conciously anymore. But stuff like this makes me think I'm pretty good aware of situation.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Excellent situational awareness. It has nothing to do with being an NT and everything to do with living my life that way by choice. For example - I see people walking around on the street, in a store, driving cars wearing ear buds or ear phones. The sheer number of things that could befall them when they can't hear is concerning to me.

I've always been fairly coordinated and sports orientated. I get that you lose balance and coordination, to a degree, as you age. That's why I curl, run on a treadmill, bike, swim, yoga... I don't really walk into walls or things like that and I'm definitely not absent minded but grace is something that's not natural for me the way it is for other people.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Excellent situational awareness. It has nothing to do with being an NT and everything to do with living my life that way by choice. For example - I see people walking around on the street, in a store, driving cars wearing ear buds or ear phones. The sheer number of things that could befall them when they can't hear is concerning to me.

I'm the person who wears earbuds everywhere! But oddly enough it never affects me because I am partially deaf. I rely more on sight, and vibrations in the ground or air currents to detect things. If I am not wearing earbuds, I tend to get paranoid. Because I flinch a lot at sudden noises or movements.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

* looks around the room *

* takes sip from drink *

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am curious to know if any NT's have learned to not run into walls, and or fall off curbs on a daily basis.

I can be incredibly clumsy, and was through most of my childhood. I was competative, but utterly trash at coordination. So I failed at sports in school. The only thing I seemed to be able to do with moderate skill was throw. Mostly because I would judge how much power and trajectory it took to reach a goal while imagining hand-eye coordination and it seemed to work.

So I was thinking if anyone has decently developed any sensory functions out of necessity.

I ended up developing some situational awareness as I got older, to avoid constant projectiles in my life. While I am not usually consciously aware of this ability, it comes in handy. Especially when you almost drop your phone.
Well, my situation awareness is pretty good, but mostly because I have trained it to be because I want it that way. If anything, that probably relates more to SP first, though I cannot entirely exclude INTJ paranoia. I have never been much of an athlete, but have always done something physical in my free time. As a child I was made to take ballet and swimming lessons. Then I started skiing and skating. When I moved away from snow, I started doing aerobics classes and later martial arts. I have always enjoyed riding my bike, when possible, just for transportation. As a result, I am at least average at the skills/sports I listed. (My martial arts instructor used to tell me I was pretty decent.) I have done sewing, soldering, machining, and various lab tasks which require good hand/eye coordination, so that part is OK, too. So no, I am not physically clumsy or awkward. I am more likely to forget something that's right in my hand or pocket, or drive by my exit because I was lost in thought.

This drives me nuts. I don't understand how they can do this. At work some of the guys play music in the lab. I want quiet as sometimes the experiment provides important auditory cues. (Plus most of them have terrible taste in music.)

Pun intended? You even have a pair of them.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I walk into walls frequently, step/fall off curbs awkwardly, and generally trip over my own feet. People will sometimes ask if I’m okay, I smile and say I’m fine. Truth is, I barely notice these things — it’s just life to me.

As for situational awareness, it is inconsistent.

I’m actually pretty good at (and enjoy) assembling things, though not likely to read instructions unless it’s in the form of illustrations.

j.c.t.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm very good at not dropping thinks or spilling food, because I'm overcautious. I tend to lose my things sometimes and fail to see how the environment affects my mood. When I was a kid I liked sports but I wasn't very good at it. I can walk past the same building for years without noticing that it's there.

Cookie Dispenser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I can stumble/bump into things quite a bit when my mind wanders. I have felt pretty stupid at times because of this. Especially, one time when I pulled something out of the oven and did not even think to put a mitt on, that was painfully embarrassing.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I might not notice if you shaved your head, but I can accidentally knock an orange off a table and catch it with the same hand. Ne can be pretty tactical, but it's got nothing on developed Se- at least in equal strength. A stronger Ne than Se will typically win this contest, though. INTJs are probably one of the biggest deer-in-headlights types when it comes to tactical navigations, especially if something catches them off guard.

I feel like Ne is really good at recovering from things (like tripping, slipping, stumbling), and Se is really good at avoiding such things in the first place.

Metis

I've always been fairly coordinated and sports orientated. I get that you lose balance and coordination, to a degree, as you age. That's why I curl, run on a treadmill, bike, swim, yoga... I don't really walk into walls or things like that and I'm definitely not absent minded but grace is something that's not natural for me the way it is for other people.

Likewise. I just do different physical activities than those.

I've developed good situational awareness as well as time management because they're necessary life skills.

Pun intended? You even have a pair of them.

A sole footnote would have been sufficient foundation to support the pun. A pair of footnotes is just being pedantic. Excuse me if I'm stepping on any toes. I just wanted to make a pointe.