• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Mastering difficult material

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
^Sure, this all makes sense. But it's hard for me to think of real examples of patterns that can be universally applied, (or if not universally, then 'very widely'.) I'm kind of stuck on the idea of suppressing the intuition; maybe that is easier for an Ni to do because they can just choose to "disbelieve" the intuition, whereas Ne relies on real external data and doesn't seem very controllable to me as a function.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think if you want to get to a more universal state it would have to be more meta cognitive strategies. to give you a very basic example learning how to speed read, take notes etc...

I think you made a good point about the Ne and Ni thing. My dad is phenomenal with both applying and extracting universal patterns in complex material, Im much more chaotic and like to do as I go and my efficiency likewise is all over the map. It is for sure as not nearly as consistently high as Ni dominant people. I think though that it applies to more things in general, but does not allow me to get into the depths needed for complex material as easily as him.

I think for the intuition to be "universally" applicable to difficult material it has to be contained within a specialized domain as opposed to just a generalized process you can apply to any material or subject.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think if you want to get to a more universal state it would have to be more meta cognitive strategies. to give you a very basic example learning how to speed read, take notes etc...

I think you made a good point about the Ne and Ni thing. My dad is phenomenal with both applying and extracting universal patterns in complex material, Im much more chaotic and like to do as I go and my efficiency likewise is all over the map. It is for sure as not nearly as consistently high as Ni dominant people. I think though that it applies to more things in general, but does not allow me to get into the depths needed for complex material as easily as him.

I think for the intuition to be "universally" applicable to difficult material it has to be contained within a specialized domain as opposed to just a generalized process you can apply to any material or subject.

learning to speed read is the single most important thing I have learned in the past year...

...besides MBTI of course.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Speed reading: check
Passing math with at least a two: check
Sort of knowing how to deal with my husband: check
Learning German: check
Helping people with difficult shit: check

Getting this g-d damn freaking for the love of the high heaven above translation material: NO CHECK!!!!!!!!! :steam:

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Speed reading: check
Passing math with at least a two: check
Sort of knowing how to deal with my husband: check
Learning German: check
Helping people with difficult shit: check

Getting this g-d damn freaking for the love of the high heaven above translation material: NO CHECK!!!!!!!!! :steam:

maintaining the creepy yet some how friendly, which makes it more creepy, cat avatar..... check

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm curious: what are your methods for mastering intellectual material that you think is very interesting and useful but that's also not particularly easy to understand?

As an ENTJ, a good way I have found is to have in mind a practical example or problem in order to understand the utility of the material and develop a necessary 'spark' for its fundamental foundations.

energy

MBTI Type
WXYZ
You bshould develop a learning oprocess model to help yourself learn, and then execute, practice and refine this process unitl you are confortable with it. Dfferent materials requires different approach to learn,

This process can including anything, copying, talking and explaining to someone else about it, notetaking, writing, problem solving, or mapping the informatiaon and seeing the relationship with each other.
Personally I learn best from copying something again and again, and then writing abou it.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Or better yet, asked a more specific question.

What do you mean? I wasn't looking forward to an analysis of my usage of the word "mastery", just useful tips. We all know what I mean, even if somebody may like more to nitpick.

Alpha Prime

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
XXXX
What do you mean? I wasn't looking forward to an analysis of my usage of the word "mastery", just useful tips. We all know what I mean, even if somebody may like more to nitpick.

Since this thread was inactive, I was enjoying the aftermath.

If you want more advice, I have a book on the subject that I can recommend, especially if you do not have a teacher.

Frank

I have found that when trying to learn these types of things I do much better if I first learn the theory behind the methods. When I understand the reasons for the methods being a particular way it speeds up the learning curve. Beyond that I would say to find a book with an answer key and explanations as to how the solutions were reached. Do the problems repeatedly and understand what you did wrong and why it is not correct.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Since this thread was inactive, I was enjoying the aftermath.

If you want more advice, I have a book on the subject that I can recommend, especially if you do not have a teacher.

Yeah it would be wonderful :)

Right now I am using this, and I think it's quite clear, it gives both an intuitive and rigorous approach to all concepts:

Amazon.com: Critical Phenomena in Natural Sciences: Chaos, Fractals, Selforganization and Disorder: Concepts and Tools (Springer Series in Synergetics): Didier Sornette: Books