• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Chose a career path thinking I was NF, now I feel stuck in the wrong career.

Luet

MBTI Type
INTJ
Sounds like you gave your issue al lot of thought. Which is step one.

I think a lot of people are unsatisfied with their careers. I just switched careers this month. After 20 years of HR I now started an IT job. I'm lucky my employer supports this change and is actually investing in it.
I didn't make the switch easely. I started wishing for a change about four years ago. At that time I didn't know what my alternatives could be. I thought about alternative jobs and how to get there and for years I didn't have the answers to those questions.
I let the idea of wanting something else simmer for a while. After that I decided to transfer to another department (IT) in the same HR-role I already had. I thought it could be a nice stepping stone (and that turned out to be true). I worked there for 2 years.
When this IT-job oppportunety came up this spring it was very exciting but I also was very scared to leap into it. From a senior role I would have to completely start over in a junior role. Was I able to step out of my comfortzone being the senior? Would IT be a good choice for me? What would happen to my pay? Luckely the people I was applying to knew me already and really wanted to have me and they reassured me. Right now I just started my new job and I feel a little lost (a newbie without any IT knowledge!) but also I feel supported.

The advise I can give you is this: Don't think so large. Take it one step at a time. Start a course in programming or in web design. It doesn't have to be a professional course. Just start working on it in your leisure time. You'll get an idea of how well suited that line of work will be for you. Maybe you'll get really extited (motivation drives) You'll get the idea of making some progress. After that you can start thinking about the next step. You've got a steady income right now. You do not need to rush.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’m also thinking about a change. Potentially from purchasing to something a little more hands-on.

Only problem is it’s essentially putting myself back at square one. I could probably become a senior buyer within a few years or get a higher paying buying job at another company, but I kind of hate the work. So do I start over with less money but more enjoyable work when I’m already struggling as sole breadwinner in my family, or do I pursue the more lucrative, albeit miserable path?

Good luck to you.