• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Tell Javo where to go

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
My wife and I are starting to brainstorm future vacation ideas.

Here are the limitations:

• Inside the US, but Southern Canada might be considered.
  • Eastern or Central time zone (we'll be driving with 3 young kids)
  • Must be fun for kids 5 and under (due to my mental age while on vacation :D)
  • Ocean, mountains, and wilderness are liked by all

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
DISNEYWORLD!!!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My wife and I are starting to brainstorm future vacation ideas.

Here are the limitations:

• Inside the US, but Southern Canada might be considered.
  • Eastern or Central time zone (we'll be driving with 3 young kids)
  • Must be fun for kids 5 and under (due to my mental age while on vacation :D)
  • Ocean, mountains, and wilderness are liked by all

Screw that, visit outside the U.S.!

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Straight to hell, as far as I'm concerned!

(or Yosemite National Park)

ygolo

My termites win
There are all sort of Six Flags parks around the U.S. that may be even closer.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
British Columbia

Not in the radius, but certainly beautiful.

I don't understand one thing - you like oceans, mountains and wilderness but you're thinking of going to Disneyworld? Does not compute. :huh:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'd say take a cruise instead of driving anywhere.. but if you WERE to drive, I haven't much to tell for you! I know when I went to Turner Falls in OK they were beautiful. It was a biiit cold to swim but people still were, and castle-like things along the hills.. I have fond memories of running around there one summer day. But coming from Ohio >.o going all the way to OK isn't much of a vacation.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't understand one thing - you like oceans, mountains and wilderness but you're thinking of going to Disneyworld? Does not compute. :huh:

Maelstrom, Soarin', The Seas with Nemo and Friends, Expedition Everest, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Fort Wilderness, Animal Kingdom.

No, I don't work for Disney. :D

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Why not?

What countries have you visited before?
Canada. :cheese:

Other countries are not in minivan-full-of-little-hungry-crying-kids-with-poopy-diaper range. :yes:

British Columbia
A good idea, but too far to drive for now. Although it would be fun to drive there and on to Alaska... someday.

What Jeffster said, plus we'd incorporate a visit to one of the Gulf beaches. :) I was nearly born in Sarasota, FL, but my parents moved back to Ohio. :steam:

I'd say take a cruise instead of driving anywhere.. but if you WERE to drive, I haven't much to tell for you! I know when I went to Turner Falls in OK they were beautiful. It was a biiit cold to swim but people still were, and castle-like things along the hills.. I have fond memories of running around there one summer day. But coming from Ohio >.o going all the way to OK isn't much of a vacation.

Sounds nice, but yeah, too far for that.

There are all sort of Six Flags parks around the U.S. that may be even closer.
That's on our list now, thanks.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
What Jeffster said, plus we'd incorporate a visit to one of the Gulf beaches. :) I was nearly born in Sarasota, FL, but my parents moved back to Ohio. :steam:

I was born in Ohio and my parents moved us to St. Pete when I was 6. The Gulf beaches are beautiful. I recommend Pass-a-grille at the end of St. Pete Beach.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Thanks. Be glad your parents migrated in the right direction. :)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Canada. :cheese:

Other countries are not in minivan-full-of-little-hungry-crying-kids-with-poopy-diaper range. :yes:

I think you are limiting yourself too easily. Great deals can be found, and an airplane ride can be pretty short.

kyuuei recommended cruises, they are lots of them on the East Coast, lots of things for kids to do.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
^ Probably true. A shorter trip could outweigh the extra hassle. Any recommendations?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ Probably true. A shorter trip could outweigh the extra hassle. Any recommendations?

There was a recent article in the Wash. Post: Big Ships, Quick Trips

You could easily fly to Puerto Rico, and it's still in the U.S. so you won't need passports and all that junk. Jamaica, Bermuda, Virgin Islands are all a short plane ride away.

Your kids are probably too young to appreciate an overseas trip to Europe or Asia, but I think it's a pretty cool thing to do when they are older. Let them see different cultures, language, food, etc. It's the one thing I wish my parents had done with us.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
The outer banks of NC are great. Very few tourists, beautiful beaches, and when the kids get bored you can take them up to Kitty Hawk and fly kites all day long. There can be some decent waves in the Atlantic, which are a blast for kids.

The gulf is also gorgeous. Depending on the time of year and weather, you can have crystal-clear blue water that's perfect for snorkeling or sea kayaking. Around the panhandle of FL, there's also pristine white sand. A lot of places are heavily developed, though, and you'll be dodging tourists, but there are still plenty of campgrounds and hotels off the beaten path.

The smoky mountains also come to mind. You could drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway while the leaves still have the fall colors. There are lots of waterfalls and short easy hikes that are good for kids. This time of year is actually prime time to see the leaves in their full splendor. I'm betting around late october / early november will be the peak.

The cumberland mountains are similarly gorgeous. You could hike around Fiery Gizzard state park in a day, then hop over to Nashville for some culture.

This is also a fine time of year to go whitewater rafting. It's not that cold yet, and a lot of rivers are running. The downside is that a lot of outfitters will have already closed for the season, so your options may be limited.