• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Neurosis and NTs

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
No. There's no guarantee that seeking help will fix the problem, but refusing help is compounding it.
That's not necessarily true. If one is technically better at solving one's own problems than others are, to hand the situation over merely results in inefficiency and delay, along with the already mentioned psychological nuisance.
And assuming that help will inevitably fail you, and that your method of self cobbling will fix everything isn't accurate either. I'm sure your self help method has failed you on more than one occasion.
Different strokes for different folks, I say. And only through a lifetime of test cases, regarding emotional issues and otherwise, have I learned that trusting self in most matters is infinitely more reliable than trusting others. There are a few exceptions to the rule.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I broke my pencil again, the duct-tape didnt work.

Was "duct-tape" the right word or where do I have such knowledge from ?!

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Duck tape is correct. I've had this debate on INTPc before.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
There is a debate behind it ? Now you've made me curious

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
yeah, I got that, I know what the silence means :D

But you are freed, I am so hungry, even thought about eating my Klebeband

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
But you can go to the store and buy stuff called "duct tape" which is silver and sticky. Both terms work.

They both work, but duck tape was the original name. Back during WWII.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Back during WWII it was "Klebeband" that anglizisms, where of no use then :D

LeonardoLestat

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't know if this should go to personal threads or whatever.

Anyway, I was wondering if neurosis is more of an NT thing (or maybe N in general). Does any of you suffer symptoms or are even a diagnosed neurotic? How is it for you? Do you think is there any way to overcome it or at least to live with it?
If not, do you know any neurotic? What do you see in their behaviour?

N's tend, in my experience, to consciously act neurotic to deal with the weird and fuzzy intuitive mind - to have some kind of 'handle' on things.
I'm pretty compulsive/obsessive.Repetitive action to prevent the scary thoughts.

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Addendum/clarification to my NF neurosis statments:

NFs can't detach from harmful emotional states because they trust feeling to make decisions, not thinking. When confronted with neurosis, the dominant arbitrary mechanism within their psyches tells them they should feel bad, simply because they do feel bad. It's quite an obstacle, and I have little advice on the matter.

I disagree. The longer an NF lives with a condition, whether neuroticism or mental illness, the more coping skills they *can* learn, just out of a sense of self-preservation. It's possible, for example, to recognize, say, paranoia as a feeling that should *not* be acted upon. The more an NF reinforces this with experience, the easier it gets, IMO. If you just live long enough...

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I disagree. The longer an NF lives with a condition, whether neuroticism or mental illness, the more coping skills they *can* learn, just out of a sense of self-preservation. It's possible, for example, to recognize, say, paranoia as a feeling that should *not* be acted upon. The more an NF reinforces this with experience, the easier it gets, IMO. If you just live long enough...

I guess my point here is that NFs, like other types, can learn from experience. If they do enough enough self-destructive shit or destroy relationships they value because of harmful emotional states, it's possible for them to start connecting the dots and learn to take a different approach, though I admit this can take a looong time.:doh:

sleeptowin

MBTI Type
INTJ
To me, neurotic NT's are like a robot that keeps going through the same loop and logging an error, over and over again [...] but they blindly lunge forward anyway, because their logic is completely lying to them. But according to them, they can't be wrong, because logic always saves the day, even though it clearly isn't.

Bulls eye.

Anyway, in my opinion, NT's are not more suspectible to neurosis, or more likely to fix their neurosis than any other type, in these matters, all types (or non-types) are equal. Atleast in my opinion.

Though they are very likely to deal with it in a very NT way (NT's dealing with things in a NT way? How peculiar!). They might accept this neurosis as some sort of universal truth, and go like:
Hey, I don't have a problem! It's the world around ME that has a problem with ME!

Or something like:
I don't feel like shit because I'm depressed over something, I feel like shit because life is shit! It's the truth!

Neurotic NT's sometimes really are like sci-fi robots with a messed up logic-circuit. Or like Vulcans, from bizzaro-vulcan, with bizzaro-logic, or something like that.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Or something like:
I don't feel like shit because I'm depressed over something, I feel like shit because life is shit! It's the truth!

I think I've said that very thing. Remarkable.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The implication being that life isn't shit, and I, for one, must disagree.

Sunshine8

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Then, when the outside help turns out to be completely ineffective, the NT returns to self-repair and eventually solves the problem.

I agree that it is better for you as an individual to not ask for help - because while ever you believe that no one can really help you, you are just going to drive other people insane and they will irritate the heck out of you!

:)

While I am a great believer in self-repair, I like to keep in mind that when it comes to solutions:

me:not me ratio is 1:6.73 billion

The odds are that there can be useful and effective help out there...when you go looking for it rather than when it is imposed on you.

You also sound like you need a hug to me.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I agree that it is better for you as an individual to not ask for help - because while ever you believe that no one can really help you, you are just going to drive other people insane and they will irritate the heck out of you!

:)

While I am a great believer in self-repair, I like to keep in mind that when it comes to solutions:

me:not me ratio is 1:6.73 billion

The odds are that there can be useful and effective help out there...when you go looking for it rather than when it is imposed on you.

You also sound like you need a hug to me.
Now you're just asking for it.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that with a neurotic NT, their less-developed S side leads them to become over-realistic about everything to the point of inaction -- making simple tasks more of a chore than they actually are, because they obsess over the unpleasant details that hinder their goals.

I think that this hyperrealism is more common in the xNTP, while the xNTJ will more likely become more impulsive. A difference between tertiary/inferior Si and tertiary/inferior Se.

sleeptowin

MBTI Type
INTJ
The implication being that life isn't shit, and I, for one, must disagree.

Well, I'm not going to disagree with you fully, but I won't agree with you fully either. Life is shit, yes, this is to some extent true, but this is not always true.

the proportions are, EHRM, just a BIT off.