• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and Sleep Patterns

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
One summer I went to bed at around 7-9AM and got up at 5 PM, like clockwork, every day. I played Neverwinter Nights all night long baby ;).

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
If I have no reason to wake up at a certain time the next morning, I usually stay up till about 2 am and wake up around 10.

I've had to start going to bed at 10-11 and wake up at 6:30/7:00 am for school, though.

Googly_Eyes

MBTI Type
INTP
Without work/school/anything else (which I don't have right now) I just stay up until I'm too tired to go on. Not just because I'm a perceiver, but because I've given up on trying to force myself to stop thinking so I can go to sleep already.

It's currently 5:29am here and I've yet to go to bed.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have a very regular sleep pattern, because if I sleep well my day is 123423423 times better and I can do more things (i can work more quickly and thus have more free time, for example). So I usually go around 11:00-11:30 and wake up around 7:30. Often I train (cycling) during the day, so I have no problem falling asleep at all, in fact past 10:30 I start to get quite tired...

Even as a kid, I could never sleep past 9. I'm an early riser by nature.

this is interesting... it confirms what I've previously thought of as an accidental conspiracy against night owl types.

If you go to bed early, you sleep well and have more energy the next day. So 9 to 5 works for you.

If I go to bed early, I lie awake, bored, frustrated, driving myself crazy and unable to sleep, through the small hours of the morning. I spend the day exhausted, somewhat spaced out, and looking forward to crashing out as soon as possible. But it never happens.

Then the same thing happens the following night, until after a week or so, eventually I'm so exhausted that I do crash out the minute the kids are quiet and watching TV, and sleep until they're pestering me to cook dinner. Then, naturally, I totally perk up at 11pm again and the cycle begins again.

I've sometimes thought that perhaps there's a link between night-owl sleeping patterns and N-ness... I sometimes wonder if the fact that the world's pretty unsympathetic to night owls, causing me to spend most of my waking daylight hours feeling tired, a little confused and not quite with it, so that my senses aren't really functioning properly, is what's forced me since childhood to rely more on intuition...??

I also notice how much better I function when I've had enough sleep. But the way our society is geared gives me precious little opportunity to actually enjoy that state. During times when I'm on vacation without the kids, I do find that if I can spend a couple of weeks in what seems my biologically natural sleeping pattern, semi-nocturnal, I do have more energy and am more alert; I feel like I'm on cocaine or something, like someone who's gradually gone near-sighted over a long period and then suddenly gets given some glasses - "Woah! You mean trees have individual leaves???" :laugh:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
this is interesting... it confirms what I've previously thought of as an accidental conspiracy against night owl types.

If you go to bed early, you sleep well and have more energy the next day. So 9 to 5 works for you.

Yeah, it's true that it generally works better for me than most of my friends that are night owls. Some of them have been able to circumvent this problem by working at jobs with a more afternoon-to-evening oriented schedule (for example, with shifts or by working at a restaurant in the evening).

If I go to bed early, I lie awake, bored, frustrated, driving myself crazy and unable to sleep, through the small hours of the morning. I spend the day exhausted, somewhat spaced out, and looking forward to crashing out as soon as possible. But it never happens.

Then the same thing happens the following night, until after a week or so, eventually I'm so exhausted that I do crash out the minute the kids are quiet and watching TV, and sleep until they're pestering me to cook dinner. Then, naturally, I totally perk up at 11pm again and the cycle begins again.

I've sometimes thought that perhaps there's a link between night-owl sleeping patterns and N-ness... I sometimes wonder if the fact that the world's pretty unsympathetic to night owls, causing me to spend most of my waking daylight hours feeling tired, a little confused and not quite with it, so that my senses aren't really functioning properly, is what's forced me since childhood to rely more on intuition...??

Ahah, I understand the problem; I actually think that perceiving types are more likely to be night owls than judging types, as an overall pattern (this, imo, is also due to the fact that perceivers tend to become more effective as the deadline approaches; so if we use as deadline-measure the end of the day for doing whatever the person wanted to do (even pleasurable activities), It'd make sense that perceivers are more likely to be active during the night).

I also notice how much better I function when I've had enough sleep. But the way our society is geared gives me precious little opportunity to actually enjoy that state. During times when I'm on vacation without the kids, I do find that if I can spend a couple of weeks in what seems my biologically natural sleeping pattern, semi-nocturnal, I do have more energy and am more alert; I feel like I'm on cocaine or something, like someone who's gradually gone near-sighted over a long period and then suddenly gets given some glasses - "Woah! You mean trees have individual leaves???" :laugh:

I think the only way to manage would be to have a job/general schedule that allows for a more nocturnal lifestyle. But it's not so easy, given that many services are only available during the day.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I go to sleep somewhere around 3 or 4 am and wake up around 11 usually (earlier today because I have plans). I work second shift, so I really see no point in going to bed before midnight- that's around the time I get home and start making dinner :doh:

When I had early classes in school, I would stay awake until 3 or 4 still and wake up at 7:30 and then take a 4 hour nap before heading into work in the afternoon :)

I laughed at the notion of a sleep "pattern" too, bc I certainly don't have any set rules about my sleeping!

(and I can sympathize with the whole being woken up early thing- my dad wakes my sis and I up at 8 am when we're home, stating that it was nearly noon and time to get our lazy selves out of bed... at least he's cheerful about it I suppose :dry:)

heart

heart on fire
I'm not NT, but no matter when or how much I actually sleep, I was feel better and more alert the deeper into the night hours it gets.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ explaining why you're usually here when I'm here ;)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ahah, I understand the problem; I actually think that perceiving types are more likely to be night owls than judging types, as an overall pattern (this, imo, is also due to the fact that perceivers tend to become more effective as the deadline approaches; so if we use as deadline-measure the end of the day for doing whatever the person wanted to do (even pleasurable activities), It'd make sense that perceivers are more likely to be active during the night).

Woah yeah, hadn't thought of that... but I think you might have a point!
You're coming at it from a 'symptom' angle though whilst I was thinking more 'cause'. Like, perhaps P-ness causes night-owliness, and night-owliness causes N-ness! So... NP's are night owls par exellence? :laugh:

I think the only way to manage would be to have a job/general schedule that allows for a more nocturnal lifestyle. But it's not so easy, given that many services are only available during the day.

yeah... and virtually impossible to get anything that pays well outside of office hours...

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Woah yeah, hadn't thought of that... but I think you might have a point!
You're coming at it from a 'symptom' angle though whilst I was thinking more 'cause'. Like, perhaps P-ness causes night-owliness, and night-owliness causes N-ness! So... NP's are night owls par exellence? :laugh:

Yeah well they're intertwined; I wouldn't be able to separate the cause from the effect, even if maybe one is really the cause of the other. So yes it does seem that NPs would be the most likely to be night owls.

SonnyCheeba

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have not had a regular work schedule or sleep schedule in years.... Currently at the for hospital and work sat-sun-mon 7a-7p from home or at the office. There really is no need for me to sleep regularly at all except certain mondays. I only stay up late usually pursuing some personal interest on an obscure topic, or attempting to complete a task, and wake up early if there is a specific task I wish to work on. What generally leads me to stay up random hours is it is quiet, I can think and work on or enjoy things in peace that others may interrupt.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I have had the most terrible sleep patterns for as long as I can tell. Going to bed at anywhere from 3-6am, then waking up in the mid afternoon. I also regularly go without sleep at all for a day (usually once a week), and then crash the day after that. I don't know what my problem is, but it's been near impossible to adjust myself, even when I have obligations.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I have had the most terrible sleep patterns for as long as I can tell. Going to bed at anywhere from 3-6am, then waking up in the mid afternoon. I also regularly go without sleep at all for a day (usually once a week), and then crash the day after that. I don't know what my problem is, but it's been near impossible to adjust myself, even when I have obligations.

This is exactly what I did for a while...but trust me it gets even worse, now I have no acknowledgment at all of the 24-hour day, by staying up for 24-26 or so hours and then sleeping for 10. At least this way I'm awake in the morning a lot of the time.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Sleep pattern: I go until I am exhausted then I crash. I will try to crash earlier than 2am if at all possible as this cascades into an enormous sleep debt that is worse than the struggle of making myself go to bed.