• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] how generous are you with your knowledge?

T

ThatGirl

How likley are you to sit down and explain or teach?

Are there certain parts of your knowledge that you gaurd from others?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have a teacher's heart.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Very likely... I'll go for as long as someone will let me. I'm very patient when it comes to sharing information and teaching, but not patient when it comes to most else.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, Im too "generous". I'm not one to put myself out there and speak but if i'm interested in a subject and have someone willing to discuss and/or listen I could go on for an extraordinary amount of time. I have to be on tangent alert though because I have a lot of interests and an ability to tie and shift the conversation to one of those interests. I'm definitely not one of those people that seeks knowledge just so I can hoard it and hold it above someones head like I'm privileged. If I withhold it it's more likely because I think it is more nerdy and somewhat alienating.

Bufo

MBTI Type
onto
Enneagram
5w4
How likely are you to sit down and explain or teach?

I must be asked unless we are not close enough.

Are there certain parts of your knowledge that you guard from others?

Depends on their intention and wisdom.

T

ThatGirl

See a lot of NTs are stingy with their knowledge.I wonder what the motivation is?

As an NT is it that you want to be seen as smart so you don't dish in fear of looking dumb?

Or if you are confident do you hold back in order to remain more knowledgeable than the rest?

Or is it that by sharing knowledge you don't have time for your own intelectual persuits?

Or simply that you don't care to share?

I wonder how much NTs know that never manifests itself.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Most INTPs, I believe, want the knowledge in the minds of those they're in contact with to be sound. Immature INTPs, like myself as a kid/teenager, aren't subtle about it and excel at irritating others. These days I try to make knowledge inviting, like cake, and you can take a bite if you like.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I love free exchange of ideas and I am more than willing to teach people anything I can do if they are interested.

I can't see any reason to withhold my knowledge from anyone who asks for it.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Most INTPs, I believe, want the knowledge in the minds of those they're in contact with to be sound.

Exactly. I feel it's almost a duty. I don't want the people I know to walk around with incorrect information or understanding, if I have the answers.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Exactly. I feel it's almost a duty. I don't want the people I know to walk around with incorrect information or understanding, if I have the answers.
Unless the person is representing me is some way, shape, or form . . . I can't relate to that at all.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Most INTPs, I believe, want the knowledge in the minds of those they're in contact with to be sound. Immature INTPs, like myself as a kid/teenager, aren't subtle about it and excel at irritating others. These days I try to make knowledge inviting, like cake, and you can take a bite if you like.

I used to drop it like a bomb and only utilize it as an escape route, especially If one of my values had been trodden on or if someone challenged me for acting or doing something "bad or wrong".

Presenting it an inviting way is a challenge I'm still in the process of developing. I think there is a good corollary between how inviting it is presented and verbal skill.

Subtlety is a very hard skill to hone IMO and one that is key in presenting knowledge fluently and desirably.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Unless the person is representing me is some way, shape, or form . . . I can't relate to that at all.

I understand where your coming from.

Yet, I prefer people I'm acquainted with to know empirically proven facts exactly as they are.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Yet, I prefer people I'm acquainted with to know empirically proven facts exactly as they are.
How often do you correct your friends? And what are "proven facts"? Are we talking about red is red and green is green?

MBTI Type
INxJ
How often do you correct your friends? And what are "proven facts"? Are we talking about red is red and green is green?

When they ask me, or if they are way off base. Anything subjective doesn't count.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In theory, I don't have problems explaining things to others, but I refuse to slow down. If someone is a n00b, they shouldn't come to me.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think that could just be a factor of excitement. I know when I'm personally first learning something I'm intensely focused and curious so I forget and am not aware of how plodding the process is. That oversight is probably the main factor in my impatience in explaining something to a n00b.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I love to share and teach, but bitter experience has taught me that simply doing this often results in certain people (is it bitterness? jealousy? who can say?) throwing into my face that I'm arrogant, know-it-all, showing off, bragging about how clever I am, etc etc.

So... unless someone asks me a direct question, I tend not really, in RL, to share that much. I think I took to heart something somebody said to me when I complained of this years ago: "the way to tell the difference between helping and interfearing is to ask whether the help is solicited; likewise, the way to tell whether it's sharing knowledge or boasting know-it-all-ness, is whether your knowledge has been solicited". So, like I say... unless people ask me, I don't tell. But even if they ask me, I try to make it look as much as possible like they actually said most of the clever stuff. And I pretend to not know stuff as well as I do. Like I'll be sorta "Oh, you know, what's the word? I read about it once or someone said something... uh... what was it now? Begins with a G I think... " and fumble around the syllables until the other person guesses the word and I'll be like "Ah that's it! Glad one of us has a memory!" when in fact I knew the damn word all along.

Also, a lot of knowledge I have is, itself, very controversial - the means whereby I gained it even more so. So sharing it can result in ostracization.

But I do play down my knowledge a lot in RL, or else find more sorta 'everyman' ways to present it so it doesn't look like 'cleverness' but just 'common sense'. Reactions to this are far more positive, in general.

Maybe it's bad that I do this and maybe I should say 'fuck them' more often. But really, I just had an absolute fucking bellyfull of having the "arrogant show-off" thing thrown in my face all the damn time when all I was doing was trying to help someone. I spend so much of my time meditating and thinking hard and praying and stuff to purge those particular traits and I question myself and doubt myself so much... it fucking hurts to have someone not notice all of that and be happy to call me something so damned untrue just because I happened to accidentally make them feel stupid by saying something they thought they ought to have known.

Occasionally there are people who take me for who I am; maybe they're more educated than I am and so they know I can't be trying to impress them or show off or anything, cos they know I know they can out-do me. Or maybe we're just equals. But whatever - they just accept that I'm not like that. So with these people I take great pleasure in sharing ideas and knowledge freely and openly.