• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] What differentiates ENTPs and ENFPs?

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Heey people :)

I'm trying to type my dad. And I was convinved that he was an ENFP because he initially empathised more with the feeling function than the thinking function.

BUT i've been reading :reading: about the two types and he's got some ENTP characteristics too, maybe even more.

So, was wondering if you ENTPs or maybe ENFPs could help me to pinpoint some fundamental differences.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
ENFPs have a way mature view of life then ENTP no metter how crazy they can be appear to others.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I read somewhere that they are both interested in ideas and possibilities but ENTPs are more interested in the ideas for the sake of the ideas and ENFPs in how these ideas will change the human world.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Personally as someone who knows both the ENxP types well id say superficially ENFPs tend to appear more mature and serious than ENTPs due to Alpha/Delta qundra differences as ENFPs being delta will have a more serious outlook on life. Another big difference is that ENFPs tend to focus more on people and emotions first over logical while ENTPs are the other way around as both are balanced thinker/feeler with Ne but with slightly more emphasis on one or the other and I forgot to mention that even the thinking/feeling type is different with ENTPs being focused on their personal logic and outer feelings and ENFPs the other way around.

SigmaEnigma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENTPs tend to be more laid back towards everyone, and are more obsessed with things making sense, often ignoring or mocking ethical issues. An ENTP will argue your reasoning, but never hold a grudge, and their ego generally lies on them being witty and their know how. They also care more what others think of them them than ENFP, and appear more reserved and analytical.
ENFPs tend to be less friendly if they feel you are an enemy to them, and are obsessed with things being morally correct, often ignoring or mocking inner logical analysis. An ENFP will argue your morality, and is more likely to hold a grudge, and their ego generally lies on them being a moral person. They care less what people think of them than ENTP, and appear more extraverted and energetic.

Last edited:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
F take intrest in people
T takes intrest in atomic bombs

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
A brief IRL demonstration of the differences with a plus:

ENFP: Oh my god! What a gorgeous bird!
ENTP: Is the bird singing or screaming his lungs out?
XNTJ: I think he's screaming because he's afraid of heights.

SigmaEnigma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A brief IRL demonstration of the differences with a plus: ENFP: Oh my god! What a gorgeous bird! ENTP: Is the bird singing or screaming his lungs out? XNTJ: I think he's screaming because he's afraid of heights.
ENTP: Dude wouldn't it be cool if I had a rifle? I bet I could snipe it from here.
ENFP: DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT HURTING THE POOR THING!
INTP: A snipe is a kind of bird as well you know.

DragTV

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
An ENTP (and im speaking from an INTJ prospective here) is less capable of ''feeling'' out the intentions of someone who for example sais something to them with the best of intentions and think its like they are trying to insult them, an ENFP however is able to ''feel'' out the situation better and know the other person is kidding, so basically the thing that differenciates ENTPs and ENFPs ....is shocker...the FEELING factor. XD

StrawberryBoots

An ENTP (and im speaking from an INTJ prospective here) is less capable of ''feeling'' out the intentions of someone who for example sais something to them with the best of intentions and think its like they are trying to insult them, an ENFP however is able to ''feel'' out the situation better and know the other person is kidding, so basically the thing that differenciates ENTPs and ENFPs ....is shocker...the FEELING factor. XD

No.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENFP: The mower's got a mind of its own, dang mower! -pouts-
ENTP: :thinking: Let's try a little WD-40. :yesss: That worked. No problems! No worries!

Actual ENFP... "Dang mower... hey wait, why I am even mowing? Lawns are evil conformist symbols that consume water, chemicals, gas and mowing is boring as fuck. Who put me here, who am I???"

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
So we did a test with my uncle and he is an ENTP.

I'm starting to think that my dad is also an ENTP.

They both care about people as they have Fe as their tertiary. But they get more energy from seeing an idea and it's consequences in a realistic manner. Whereas I imagine the ENFP will be driven to think of that idea from the prespective of helping society and thus concentrate more on the positive possibilities. My uncle and my dad will look at all angles regardless of how crude it may be socially.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
ENTP: goofy outside goofy inside
ENFP: goofy outside serious inside

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Personally as someone who knows both the ENxP types well id say superficially ENFPs tend to appear more mature and serious than ENTPs due to Alpha/Delta qundra differences as ENFPs being delta will have a more serious outlook on life. Another big difference is that ENFPs tend to focus more on people and emotions first over logical while ENTPs are the other way around as both are balanced thinker/feeler with Ne but with slightly more emphasis on one or the other and I forgot to mention that even the thinking/feeling type is different with ENTPs being focused on their personal logic and outer feelings and ENFPs the other way around.

Could you reccomend some resources to study quadrants and axes?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actual ENFP... "Dang mower... hey wait, why I am even mowing? Lawns are evil conformist symbols that consume water, chemicals, gas and mowing is boring as fuck. Who put me here, who am I???"

Sounds like Rick Sanchez.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ

To be fair neither my uncle nor my dad take anything said to them in that way. I'd imagine that an ENFP might be more sensitive to social cues somehow. I'd actually be more scared to be argumentative or too direct even if joking with an ENFP and would feel more comfortable taking the piss with an ENTP. It seems the emotional awareness of an ENFP might make them more sensitive and less interested in that style of jjoking. Being an NF myself I find that that kind of banter doesn't fit after a while...

Do you have personal experience of what you said happening with people you know?

ugghh

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Idk if this helps, but my mother is ENFP and I'm ENTP. She is way more interested in expressing herself and her identity artistically, while I love being on stage and like co-writing and arranging things, but don't create things for the purpose of self-expression. She's also more sensitive and okay with being emotional, while it makes me kind of uncomfortable. She has a big heart for children and animals.. I don't care so much, honestly. I think she's much more authentic to herself - I sometimes use my tertiary Fe to read and manipulate people, especially when I need something from someone. I don't think she would ever do that. I dress to impress people and fit in most of the time, she dresses to express herself. (I hardly know what I like, so the thought of dressing to express myself makes me uneasy..)
We're both pretty brainy problem-solvers, but I'm much more driven to have a successful career, she wanted to work with something she valued (which wasn't related to status or money).
We're both hippieish nerds, but I think she's a bit more on the hippie side and I'm nerdier.

Oh and I love playing the devil's advocate more, and while she'll laugh at my dark humor, she's not one to make dead baby jokes.

Last edited:

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Out with my ENFP bff. This super weird dude came over to us, claiming he fought in WWII (he was 50, tops). We both play along and have a very amiable chat with the man, but after he was gone we both spun off in very different directions of Ne possibilities.

ENTP: What if he actually DID fight in WWII, time travelled here, but maybe in the process he addled his brains!?? We'll never know for sure!

ENFP: Stop it, Jer. Look at him over there, eating alone, he looks so sad! He probably had a wife and kids who abandoned him when he refused to seek help...there's so much stigma attached to mental illness--so many marginalized people, we're all so isolated by the structures of society....etc, etc.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Out with my ENFP bff. This super weird dude came over to us, claiming he fought in WWII (he was 50, tops). We both play along and have a very amiable chat with the man, but after he was gone we both spun off in very different directions of Ne possibilities.

ENTP: What if he actually DID fight in WWII, time travelled here, but maybe in the process he addled his brains!?? We'll never know for sure!

ENFP: Stop it, Jer. Look at him over there, eating alone, he looks so sad! He probably had a wife and kids who abandoned him when he refused to seek help...there's so much stigma attached to mental illness--so many marginalized people, we're all so isolated by the structures of society....etc, etc.

Lol, this has very strange echos with my recent outing to see some Taiko drummers. I sat next to an old dude who felt the need to share random facts with me, he told me that he was at Emperor Hirohito's funeral, and that he was at this venue last to see Steve Martin play the banjo. He was kind of annoying, actually, loud and inconsiderate, but I felt I couldn't say anything because he was obviously a little senile.The show started and well into it there were two women playing shamisen, a Japenese twangy stringed instrument, and I had an impulse to try to convince the guy that the Japenese women were Steve Martin playing the banjo. I immediately felt guilty at how amused I was about the idea.