• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] What differentiates ENTPs and ENFPs?

Metis

I have absolutely no novelty socks, and I'm very happy about it. I don't think it's a good use of my money. I'd rather buy a pair of earrings if I want to make a fashion statement. They're more visible. It's a better investment.

The only reason to buy a pair of novelty socks would be if they actually did something beneficial that other socks couldn't do. For example, if they had rubber soles and I needed the traction for some reason.

I've noticed that some ENFPs I know love collecting novel doodads, like gnome-shaped salt-and-pepper shakers, and coasters with unnecessary but, I guess, nifty anatomical designs on them--brains and femurs and things like that.

I've known ENTPs to be nifty doodad collectors as well, to some extent, but not to the extent that I've seen with ENFPs.

I'm afraid I have some bad news.

No, I'm not, because I hardly ever wear them. I buy them, occasionally, and then I don't wear them. That's an ENTP thing.

I have one go-to pair that I wear when there's a reason to look a little bit dressed up, and the rest of them just sit in a little container, except the ones that are lost on the floor of the car, under the seats or somewhere.

Dude, I would love to be an ISFP, but you make it sound like so much work.

Metis

A long, long time ago, way back in 2008, before my 8-year hiatus, there was a post on here that had pictures of two "sexy" outfits.

One was supposed to represent ENTP style, and the other, ENFP style.

The ENTP-style "sexy" outfit was red (an obvious, straightforward color choice), formfitting, and had an appealing cut. The overall feel was "direct". Scarlett Johannson was wearing it, walking out a front door.

The ENFP-style "sexy" outfit was predominantly purple, had some whimsical elements, and looked like a costume for some kind of role-playing. The overall feel was "whimsical". I don't know who the model was. She was standing in a bedroom, holding a whip. But there were butterflies or ruffles or something.

I don't know where that post is, who posted it, or if the images would even show up, but I think of it when I see this thread.

ugghh

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I'm not, because I hardly ever wear them. I buy them, occasionally, and then I don't wear them. That's an ENTP thing.

I have one go-to pair that I wear when there's a reason to look a little bit dressed up, and the rest of them just sit in a little container, except the ones that are lost on the floor of the car, under the seats or somewhere.

Dude, I would love to be an ISFP, but you make it sound like so much work.

I relate to this, haha! I really like looking at/buying jewelry, but really only wear one pair of earrings. Sometimes I realize "oh, I don't use this", and give it away either to someone I know or to a second hand store. Then I forget about it and wonder if I lost it or not...

Starry

Ok, but you admitted you were sad about it. Were you just saying that to be polite, like a well-meaning ENTP, or are you really sad about it?

Yeah, it is a thing. It's a pair of things, in fact--unless you're so avant garde that you've taken to wearing only a single, solitary sock.

Hmm.

Good question. Except I don't feel very scalpelly. The only reason I know I'm not an ENFP is that... I'm not. Same way I know I don't have any novelty socks. I just don't.

See? Not scalpelly. Just observant. :)

urright. Please remove your shoes and report for sock inspection.

I like the orange liner and maybe the tie. Not the fantastic print or the pineapple tie clip, though, unless you work for a pineapple company.

Look at Tina Turner's jacket liner for reference. (The leather jacket, not the denim one.) I'm not a fan of the fringe on the sleeves of that jacket, but the orange (red?) lining is an interesting detail.

I must remind everyone that [MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION] is the inventor of the Sock Method of differentiating ENFPs from ENTPs. I don't want to take credit for someone else's ingenious insight.

I have absolutely no novelty socks, and I'm very happy about it. I don't think it's a good use of my money. I'd rather buy a pair of earrings if I want to make a fashion statement. They're more visible. It's a better investment.

The only reason to buy a pair of novelty socks would be if they actually did something beneficial that other socks couldn't do. For example, if they had rubber soles and I needed the traction for some reason.

I've noticed that some ENFPs I know love collecting novel doodads, like gnome-shaped salt-and-pepper shakers, and coasters with unnecessary but, I guess, nifty anatomical designs on them--brains and femurs and things like that.

I've known ENTPs to be nifty doodad collectors as well, to some extent, but not to the extent that I've seen with ENFPs.

e053ecf26a392e1586c703609acd5b35--wool-socks-knee-highs.jpg

^whoops that picture is actually very little or smaller than what I thought but I actually taught myself how to knit and crochet just so I could make myself wool socks like these. socks :wubbie:

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Regarding your question it's not a big sadness more like hmm not having a video game or book you really want. I'd happily wear novelty socks and I do think both ENxPs like novelty stuff.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Perhaps that is a difference: ENTPs actually expect their nifty doodads to be useful for something. ENFPs care only if they are fun.

I own neither novelty socks nor earrings, which I suppose just shows I am none of the above.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A long, long time ago, way back in 2008, before my 8-year hiatus, there was a post on here that had pictures of two "sexy" outfits.

One was supposed to represent ENTP style, and the other, ENFP style.

The ENTP-style "sexy" outfit was red (an obvious, straightforward color choice), formfitting, and had an appealing cut. The overall feel was "direct". Scarlett Johannson was wearing it, walking out a front door.

The ENFP-style "sexy" outfit was predominantly purple, had some whimsical elements, and looked like a costume for some kind of role-playing. The overall feel was "whimsical". I don't know who the model was. She was standing in a bedroom, holding a whip. But there were butterflies or ruffles or something.

I don't know where that post is, who posted it, or if the images would even show up, but I think of it when I see this thread.

for some reason that description of an ENFP standing in a room is something I could mentally see myself with so perhaps that's a sign.... LOL

Starry

Perhaps that is a difference: ENTPs actually expect their nifty doodads to be useful for something. ENFPs care only if they are fun.

I own neither novelty socks nor earrings, which I suppose just shows I am none of the above.

Well, I'm not entirely sure. I don't wear jewelry...and I'm not certain what "novelty socks" are. I do so much hiking and camping...socks are kinda serious business to me. The truth of it is I taught myself to knit socks because while a good pair of wool socks is super expensive these days...a good ball of wool yarn is quite affordable.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I'm not entirely sure. I don't wear jewelry...and I'm not certain what "novelty socks" are. I do so much hiking and camping...socks are kinda serious business to me. The truth of it is I taught myself to knit socks because while a good pair of wool socks is super expensive these days...a good ball of wool yarn is quite affordable.

Gotta agree on novelty socks XD

Starry

birdsocks1.jpg

Yah...they are socks with special images on them. I actually like these if they didn't have the birdwatchers at the bottom. But the synthetic material would be atrocious to me feeties.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What are they even? Like socks with prints on them?

I think they are just socks with odd designs on them. I am honestly not sure what makes a sock "novelty" and just a normal "sock". from what I seem to note is novelty socks include internet famed types like Pusheen, or really stupid jokes on them that no one is gonna see anything cuz shoes.

Yea. You can tell I love novelty socks. XD

Starry

I think they are just socks with odd designs on them. I am honestly not sure what makes a sock "novelty" and just a normal "sock". from what I seem to note is novelty socks include internet famed types like Pusheen, or really stupid jokes on them that no one is gonna see anything cuz shoes.

I just saw some that said "get me a beer" on the bottom of them? haha. I would not wear those.

- - - Updated - - -

The stuff of nightmares.

hjyDiM8.jpg

IT BURNS!

whoa. that is not okay.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
okay the stripey ones I would've totally wore in my neon color teen years. XD

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Novelty socks often have designs in a holiday theme (Santa, leprechauns, turkeys, etc.), or licensed movie/TV characters, etc. I would even consider those toe socks to be novelty. An even bigger problem than the silly designs is that the fiber content of these socks is often quite poor, but then I have noticed more and more "normal" socks being made out of thin polyester these days. It is hard to find plain old cotton socks.

The stuff of nightmares.
Quite. I wouldn't be caught dead in these things.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
My socks have llamas on them

That is all

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
XD okay I admit then I do like the holiday ones.

BUT WHO DOESN'T WANT SOCKS WITH SKIING PENGUINS ON THEM?!