• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Anybody else smart but suck at video games & team sports?

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
I was bad at team sports even in elementary school. I think people who are good at sports tend to also be good at video games. Now all the video games are made for sensors, except maybe a few puzzle games. They don't make video games for intuitors and highly intelligent people. I'm not good at doing simple things quickly. I'm not good at quick, accurate movements & reactions. I'm bad at spotting things visually. I tend not to notice some things. I like PUBG but my KD ratio in solo mode is only 0.34. In squad mode I only have 4 kills. I have people occasionally insulting me in squad mode. I might eventually have to quit PUBG. I heard in one youtube video that sensors have some sensing pathways in their brain that are faster than intuitors'.

Lark

I wasnt too bad at video games growing up but the retrogames are a whole other thing to what most people think of as gaming nowadays, even the NES and SNES minis which most people consider truly classic or retro to me are distinctly modern, the PS2 was about as modern as I wanted things to get in some ways, the graphics could and should have improved, loading times, stuff like that but gameplay got totally messed up along the way.

The games I liked were for the home computing scene, maybe Commodore 64, Spectrum, Amiga, were available elsewhere but picking up the vibe online its as though they were restricted to the UK.

Team sports I didnt like at all, I either wasnt fit enough or skilled enough at the sports which were team sports, football was awful (soccer you'd probably call it), we didnt do much else besides but I didnt like dodge ball when we did play it, which was maybe twice, I liked relay racing but we didnt do it much and I think it would have been much better if we'd had some sort of aerobic fitness or fitness suite that people could work out in by themselves instead.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
What.
You're gonna pis people off with this one.
Sensors are not simple and unintelligent.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Let's wait for [MENTION=23583]Yama[/MENTION] lol

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Wat in the world.

I am completely awful at sports and have pretty much no physical strength/coordination (I have EDS, hypotonia, and femoral anteversion) nor have I ever found sports to ever be interesting.

Although I am pretty good at video games, because I've played them my whole life. I'm not really a fan of multi-player games though, or shooters, I suck at those. I prefer single player open world RPGs where I can completely customize my own character and come up with my own backstory and get thoroughly immersed. One of my other favorite games is also Fire Emblem, which is a turn by turn strategy game.

It's not S/N related, it's practice and experience related. Anyone could be good at anything with the right exposure.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Video games were made for sensors? Do you see on the back of any video game saying MBTI certified? Or this fulfills the regulations and rules met by the MBTI community to deem this video game as sensor friendly (no sensors were harmed in the making of this game)?

I only play games with a 100% sensor preference

Fair trade:
This video game hasn’t been used by any intuitives right?

:rofl1:

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Video games were made for sensors? Do you see on the back of any video game saying MBTI certified? Or this fulfills the regulations and rules met by the MBTI community to deem this video game as sensor friendly (no sensors were harmed in the making of this game)?

I only play games with a 100% sensor preference

Fair trade:
This video game hasn’t been used by any intuitives right?

:rofl1:

* imagines a type based rating system for games *

Grand Theft Auto Series: Rated ESTP
Starcraft: Rated INTJ
The Sims: Rated ISXJ

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Seeing how gaming has so many subgenres, I would say that some genres cater to certain functions better than others. Traditional fighting games definitely cater to Se with the necessity of reaction time and Si with the need to recognize patterns and adapt (though that is arguably an Ni thing). Then there are your open world games that stimulate Ne and engage Fi. A lot of online multiplayer games strengthen Fe, which is good because the gameplay encourages Ti approaches.

Video gaming, whether you like it or not, is a diverse art form with an insane reach. The 1990s-esque oversimplification of video games is tired and uninteresting.

I came to the conclusion that video games are made for sensors because they generally just require fast, accurate, simple reactions based on using the senses. They don't require intuition, problem solving, deep understanding, or deep knowledge. RTS games require some extensive knowledge, but they too rely a lot on reacting quickly to things. From what I've learned it seems that sensors are geared towards doing non-intellectual things fast, and intuitors are geared towards taking their time and thinking about things. But NF's are illogical so they are pretty much useless for intellectual things or anything in general.

Have you ever played a video game before?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
* imagines a type based rating system for games *

Grand Theft Auto Series: Rated ESTP
Starcraft: Rated INTJ
The Sims: Rated ISXJ

Typical mom to typical son conversation.

Honey! What did I tell you about playing ESTP games you know as the good noodle ISFJ you are. You know what’s right and wrong for you! Don’t ever disobey me ever again.

But moooommm

No buts. Or you’ll be more grounded than just your preference.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
:notype:

...anyway my uncoordinated ass joined the school team once (idk why they took me, but also, eh) because i had a crush on a boy back in middle school

it was disastrous

also my intj fronds all love video games for some reason, not sure if Se or just nerds

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think video games might be more skewed to Pe dom in general, or maybe that's just ADHD. I have played some video games before (super mario smash bros), and it was too much thinking on the fly. It was fun, but I tired after an hour or so. I don't get how they could play this game all day. My favorite is probably town of Salem, but I haven't played in a while.

Being good at video games doesn't make you less deep btw. Just because you suck at them doesn't mean you should project your insecurities onto everyone else.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
INTP.

Farming simulator: ISTP
Harvest Moon: ISFP
Sonic The Hedgehog: INFX (freeing forest animals that have been trapped in machines)

FARMING SIMULATOR

... i immediately had a flashback of that farming sim booth at gamescom. so big. such hype. very wow

animal crossing is infj, partake in barter economy instead of actually conversing, meaning introvert's way of making friends, Fe (wants to be liked), ni because si is already taken by sims

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I suck at video games and sports. That's why I'm an INTP.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think video games might be more skewed to Pe dom in general, or maybe that's just ADHD. I have played some video games before (super mario smash bros), and it was too much thinking on the fly. It was fun, but I tired after an hour or so. I don't get how they could play this game all day. My favorite is probably town of Salem, but I haven't played in a while.

Being good at video games doesn't make you less deep btw. Just because you suck at them doesn't mean you should project your insecurities onto everyone else.

I agree that a Pe dominant might find more stimulation in a majority of the mainstream games. Many of the popular ones like Overwatch or Skyrim are filled with so much visual detail that an Se user may appreciate more, or Telltale games that may appeal to Ne users due to their branching storylines. But no matter what your type is, you should still be able to find something that appeals to you in a good game that is marketed towards large audiences. An Ni user with low Se could find Skyrim's overarching plot interesting, a Te user might enjoy mastering the many different game mechanics that comes with switching characters in Overwatch.

Point is, although your interests in a certain game or work of fiction may vary based on your type, it is still entirely subjective to your personal interests. If you are an INTJ who can't find anything enjoyable in videogames, you probably just don't like videogames.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I think video games might be more skewed to Pe dom in general, or maybe that's just ADHD. I have played some video games before (super mario smash bros), and it was too much thinking on the fly. It was fun, but I tired after an hour or so. I don't get how they could play this game all day. My favorite is probably town of Salem, but I haven't played in a while. Being good at video games doesn't make you less deep btw. Just because you suck at them doesn't mean you should project your insecurities onto everyone else.

Ah gawd, I'm super tempted to take this thread in another direction but I'll TRY to restrain myself haha. Ya, the topic of ADHD and video games is interesting. My own experience with video games at least, is that I find myself generally more interested in faster-paced games. Gran Turismo on PlayStation was always a favorite of mine, particularly the drift style racing because the scenery would be constantly whizzing past you and I often found myself in this very strange sort of trance like space...it was focus! Haha. So, the age old question of wondering if video games creates a faux ADHD by destroying kids' attention spans or is it just revealing the kids that have it since the ones that play the games have found their way to self medicate is an ongoing area of interest of mine.

Relating to personality type, it wouldn't surprise me to find Pe doms more attracted to the quicker paced games at least, as where I found myself. I really wasn't a gamer though but the few I played tended to gravitate towards a certain kind of cognitive reward I've noticed.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
There is no "quitting" PUBG.

I might be wrong, but maybe you're referring to twitch games- which is a huge and popular genre thanks to the copious amounts of S dom/aux types in the market for them. There are others, less popular, but more rewarding. I'd suggest some but I know it's impossible to lead an INTJ to water and have them drink it unless they feel like they found the river themselves. Happy hunting. With your superior intellect you should have no trouble tracking them down.

I've seen INTJs play video games, and it is the saddest most boring overly cautious show about how thoroughly and slowly and relentlessly they can crawl through every corner of the game as safely as possible for a million years straight. WHYYYYY