• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Anybody else smart but suck at video games & team sports?

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm relatively intelligent I think? I really suck as sports as a whole, specifically team sports, and am not fantastic at video games (though I never really had a chance to play a lot, it was condemned in my family). I'm pretty quickly overwhelmed by stimulus and the physical world as a whole. Combined with the fact that I have coordination that is well below average, anything athletic that's not just running is pretty much a train wreck for me. I mean, I can't even ride a bike, you think I can move my body to do sports? Not going to happen. The only exception perhaps is badminton and maybe ping pong, both of which I am very mediocre at.

In my defense, there's also a high probability that I have some sort of sensory processing disorder, so that probably attributes to my physical incapability.

j.c.t.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Video games are a waste of time anyways. There's worse things in the world than being bad at team sports, too!

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am bad at a lot of sports (especially vollyball), but I am good at team sports. (Except vollyball). Im great at coordinating with people, and I support people I think are more skilled than me/are capable of helping us win. (Like American football or Soccer). The only physical thing I am decent at is throwing/aiming.

A similar theme applies to certain videogames. Im shit at shooters, but if it requires teamwork I tend to be decent at organizing myself and others to optimize our efficiency. Im actually really hood at Real time stratagy and turn based systems. I used to raid in Wow, and was the 2nd raid leader. Then I learned how to play Mobas, and am generally good at them. I prefer turn based strategy games though. I dislike fast paced action ones because it gives me anxiety.

Team sports? No I suck. Except maybe when I used to play paintball but then I was often lurking in the trees as a sniper. :devil: So I was indirectly supporting the team. We didn’t pay to play. Pfft. We had an abandoned WWII era military base in a state park for our battlefield. Well at least until the park rangers booted us. :(

Video games? It depends on the type of game. I was horrible at the old school side scrolling jump fests. They were my bane. I’m reasonably good at first person shooters though I haven’t played them in years. RPGs are my thing really. Something with a detailed story and multiple branching choices where no decision is made in isolation and no solution leads to a perfect outcome. Like life.

Novella

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4W5
My INTP stepson rocks at games, he is 21. My Intj husband is incredibly skilled in strategy games and mediocre in others. I suck in most games. The one that I persevered in, I became at best, mediocre. Complete sensotard.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Yep. It's actually something that's troubled me greatly throughout life.

On the inside, I'm a very energetic person who NEEDS to move, I need excitement, and a team of my own. but on the outside, well, I'm considered disabled. A lot of people who are disabled find soem alternative, some other means to vicariously get excitement. Unfortunately I am also miserably uncoordinated. As a kid I decided to try LARPing, because it's physical but for nerds. Surely they would understand being not great at sports.

Nope. They screwed me up for life. They were total assholes to me and I've carried an immense hatred for them ever since.
I would show up and fight two days after knee-surgery and they'd make fun of me for being too slow.
I'd show up after back surgery-and fight-my only accommodation I asked for be that they not hit me in the back which they proceeded to do every chance they got.
I'd show up immediately after dialysis which gave me the Mother of all migraines and made me dizzy and they'd laugh at me for generally "sucking."

I'll never forget the day I got in trouble for refusing to "take a knee" ( I couldn't because I'd just had surgery) in honor of this really whiny girl because she "Took the bus to get here and THAT'S Goddamned admirable!"

Then came what I thought I'd been waiting for my whole life-Cooperative MMO's. Finally! Something to fill that void, some excitement ( at least what there was to be had from a screen) a change to build the team a always wanted to be a part of-haha no.I am SO bad at these games because again, I am incredibly uncoordinated. I try to work on it but it's bad enough that if it weren't for my other permanent injuries it'd be considered..not quite a disability but definitely limiting. It's a damned good thing for all of society that I have other reasons to not drive.

So now my friends have this game called "beat saber" my husband goes on and on about how great it is, how it fills that "void" of something that was missing; it's energetic, it's music and lights, and just everything that I know i need in my life. Even if it weren't for the lack of coordination most levels have you bending and squatting. Something I absolutely cannot do.

I hate it. I hate it so much. I keep hearing all the nerds in the tech world talk about how amazing these new games are; how they are "inclusive" and "For everyone" and I'm left out again. I'm so Goddamned tired of being left out and knowing that I have no outlet, and that there is nothing out there for me to fill the void.

... I'm not typically not such a "downer" when I'm not thinking about these things I'm a fairly content person.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
No, intelligence means being good at everything. If you're intelligent you can't be bad at anything in life, especially video games & team sports. All the bright ones are good at those things.

rav3n

My INTP husband and ENTP son are nosebleed level intelligent. They're excellent gamers but INTP is better than ENTP. ENTP is a natural athlete and is better at team sports like football, track, etc. than INTP. They're both runners but INTP is more dedicated and is a distance runner, as his consistent fitness activity. ENTP is faster in sprints and yes, they've actually unofficially competed with each other, including friendly bets. The two have become partners and competitors in crime which is brilliant to watch. :laugh:

Myself, a mediocre athlete in sports except for one which isn't a team sport. A mediocre gamer too unless I get obsessed. Once obsessed, anything's possible if only because of sheer determination.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tis a mixed bag

Video games: above average sometimes far above average, good reaction time, think quick on my feet (I once played Tekken 6 with zero knowledge how to play, against others who knew how to play and as a newbie I dominated them all... but give me a strategy game and I'll probably suck at it since I'm not usually a super strategic step by step thinker, I'm more likely to just test things out and adapt as I go)

Stategy: Neglected, poor, but I have it long term like in terms of life goals but it's a big picture thing, I'm not good with details)

Philosophy/Psychology: above average if not well above average, I find it simply fascinating

Sports: average, i rarely apply myself in that regard but at certain things I pick it up really quick (like bowling, botchy ball, lightning(shooting basketball hoops for points against others) mini golf and such. But football or something more crazy? Nah
Only if I have time to calculate first

School: only if I gave a crap, but if I didn't I generally did suck at it, and also have poor memory, just average at Mathematics because I found it boring for the most part and the more advanced stuff has no utility to me therefore I deem it worthless. Science I liked though and did alot better at, as well as Art(being an artist) I have a high artistic intelligence.

But when it comes to some common knowledge that alot of people know, usually involving society related things and celebrities and blah blah. I know next to nothing about it. Heck, I don't even have a grip on history either because it's in the past therefore doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is the future.

Also financial stuff confuses the fuck out of me and is boring but necessary

People always say I'm "so smart" , another called me a Genius, but I don't always feel that way

I have a selective intelligence but outside of it I might seem quite ignorant.'

Goes to show you we have multiple intelligences~

ducks

Permabanned
Most online games value twitch reflexes (shooters) or just playing faster and reacting faster than another person (RTS games) and also learning how the game is coded or exploiting the game past its intended design.

For example, Quake players used to jump repeatedly because the game had a kind of bug where you moved faster if you did that. My friend used to play cod 2 competitively and he would throw grenades across the map at the beginning (and sometimes kill the other team) and studied how the netcode worked - so he knew that if he fired before seeing the enemy he'd get a kill and they wouldn't see him (or something like that); so he could shoot before peaking around a corner and get a shot off around that corner...or other games you learn where all the power ups are and the best way to run around the map to get the power ups as often as possible...

I like games where you get to think about what you're doing and adjust to your mistakes and do better next time, if you die. More trial and error and learning from that. Dark Souls are great for that and I don't think I'm bad at it. That's actually fun. So were MMOs in the past before people were allowed to auto group with random strangers...

But honestly, I don't think "smart" people are all that into video games, unless they are getting something out of it other than entertainment, like money, therapy, or they are just intrigued by the story and gameplay, like watching a good movie or learning something.

But like...the games that make the most money are actually sports games...and they make most of the money off pay-to-win models built into the game. The gaming industry is mostly run by corporations at this point and they don't care about making interesting games or anything like that, but maximizing profits for stock holders. It has a lot to do with why most games are pretty shitty now.

sources@

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Most online games value twitch reflexes (shooters) or just playing faster and reacting faster than another person (RTS games) and also learning how the game is coded or exploiting the game past its intended design.

For example, Quake players used to jump repeatedly because the game had a kind of bug where you moved faster if you did that. My friend used to play cod 2 competitively and he would throw grenades across the map at the beginning (and sometimes kill the other team) and studied how the netcode worked - so he knew that if he fired before seeing the enemy he'd get a kill and they wouldn't see him (or something like that); so he could shoot before peaking around a corner and get a shot off around that corner...or other games you learn where all the power ups are and the best way to run around the map to get the power ups as often as possible...

I like games where you get to think about what you're doing and adjust to your mistakes and do better next time, if you die. More trial and error and learning from that. Dark Souls are great for that and I don't think I'm bad at it. That's actually fun. So were MMOs in the past before people were allowed to auto group with random strangers...

But honestly, I don't think "smart" people are all that into video games, unless they are getting something out of it other than entertainment, like money, therapy, or they are just intrigued by the story and gameplay, like watching a good movie or learning something.

But like...the games that make the most money are actually sports games...and they make most of the money off pay-to-win models built into the game. The gaming industry is mostly run by corporations at this point and they don't care about making interesting games or anything like that, but maximizing profits for stock holders. It has a lot to do with why most games are pretty shitty now.

sources@

Videogames are very close to art right now ( as movies ), you have differents perspective for each types.
When i was a kid i like alot of of sensors skill games ( mario 3 , zelda ,ect ) but right now i just enjoy good narrative and videogames that are closer to art ( Sony fanboy and terror games ).

i guess my motors skill are above-average ( actually spending more than 50k hours to play guitar and alot more to play the piano ).
Videos games can be anything right now really ... from just a fun night to an amazing travel which can change ur perspective of how you see the world.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've had ample opportunity to get into video games and many of the most important people in my life have been obsessed with games, so I strangely have some sort of overlap, but still it just doesn't take. I don't like any games, especially team sports.

To me games feel like tons of arbitrary effort to memorize arbitrary rules that don't apply to anything else, so it is a complete time suck for absolutely no reason except it is only about competition and social domination which means nothing to me. It is like everything in the whole world I hate wrapped up into a single activity. This is true for monopoly, football, FPS games, everything. I would never deprive others of it because I believe strongly in letting the humans do whatever the humans do, but my personality type could be determined by whichever type is least compatible with all games. I did play Peggle for a while because I liked the cartoon horses' nostrils, but that's the most gaming of any sort I've ever done.

And yes I am SMRT. I am an evil and creative genius.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm smart in some ways. Definitely above average in terms of academic intelligence based on my background in school. I consider myself to be a good writer, fairly creative, and a fast learner. I lack in a lot of areas of intelligence, though.

I suck at team sports, because I don't like the dynamic of working with other people, despite being highly competitive. It's not even that I'm bad at athletics, I can be good at more individual things. Team sports just do not appeal to me in any way at all.

Video games in general isn't a talent, but I kick ass at certain ones. Probably above average in fighting games. And if you're not too pretentious to consider Pokémon GO as a video game, I kick fucking ass in it. It depends if I'm into it or not. If I'm interested, I'll dedicate a lot of time into it and then become good if I wasn't already.

Muladara

MBTI Type
FIRE
Enneagram
AIR
I was bad at team sports even in elementary school. I think people who are good at sports tend to also be good at video games. Now all the video games are made for sensors, except maybe a few puzzle games. They don't make video games for intuitors and highly intelligent people.
Seriously? :doh:
I'm not good at doing simple things quickly. I'm not good at quick, accurate movements & reactions. I'm bad at spotting things visually. I tend not to notice some things. I like PUBG but my KD ratio in solo mode is only 0.34. In squad mode I only have 4 kills. I have people occasionally insulting me in squad mode. I might eventually have to quit PUBG. I heard in one youtube video that sensors have some sensing pathways in their brain that are faster than intuitors'.
Well then it must be true.

MaxMad244

MBTI Type
INTJ
I was bad at team sports even in elementary school. I think people who are good at sports tend to also be good at video games. Now all the video games are made for sensors, except maybe a few puzzle games. They don't make video games for intuitors and highly intelligent people. I'm not good at doing simple things quickly. I'm not good at quick, accurate movements & reactions. I'm bad at spotting things visually. I tend not to notice some things. I like PUBG but my KD ratio in solo mode is only 0.34. In squad mode I only have 4 kills. I have people occasionally insulting me in squad mode. I might eventually have to quit PUBG. I heard in one youtube video that sensors have some sensing pathways in their brain that are faster than intuitors'.
I was the fastest and strongest kid in school but I sucked at team sports. Unfortunately my extroverted sensing was crudely undeveloped and highly meta in nature. I deduced that if I was the fastest and the strongest, and the quickest, I would naturally become the best at sports. I completely missed the boat in understanding basic extroverted sensing things like using my left hand to practice, being spatially aware, processing data live instead of always having some sort of meta-logic behind an action - I was probably quite stupid int he realm of sports, and borderline moron. Imagine super man dunking on the wrong basket and scoring for the other team.

Physically, which is mostly genetic from my father, I was well developed, but my personality couldn't have been further from his. I now exclusively box and watch combat sports. I can't even watch sports with teams because it overloads me and I lose interest with all the variables...it seems like dumb luck any team wins or lopsided gains due to drafts and politics - doesn't interest me.

I can only relate to the individualistic sports. And I enjoy watching pugilism specifically as I find it is a suitable catharsis for the deep violence in us all - we should all remember that even Mother Theresa has a serial killer in her somewhere, and the less we admit the more that it's true about ourselves.