• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Anybody else smart but suck at video games & team sports?

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
PUBG update: I improved my gun aiming by doing the weapons course over & over in CS:GO. I got my time down to 59.5 seconds. My original time was 1 min 52 seconds. Today I got 3 kills in one solo game session for the first time. That was great. I could have got a 4th kill but I didn't aim carefully the last time. My new headphones I got today are also helping me play better because I can hear much better where people are. I also reached the final 2 in squad mode, and my heart was beating so fast & hard and wouldn't stop. But then they shut down the server to update the game, so there was no winner :(. I was all ready to slaughter the other guy with my micro uzi on full auto. It's great for CQC. PUBG is deep and I'm learning more about it all the time. Looks like there is real hope for me to improve my FPS skills after all. BTW I reached rank #200 out of many thousands of people a few years ago on butterfly mode in Bejeweled. It's because that mode lets you take as much time as you want for each move. I do better with things if have time to think. ESFP's do things fast, but me being the opposite I've always liked to take my time with everything.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't play video games or team sports...I don't even like watching sports

I also dislike action movies, driving fast and guns

I am very smart :nerd:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Regarding video games:
I don't think the two are very correlated ?
Appart from the obvious i mean. (reflexes, refuge from the dim hordes growing up etc.) 'games' , the act of playing is a formative human experience. Usually ppl lose a good part of their interest in games as they age in my experience.

I know / think I had an advantage in some FPS / fast games growing up, due to my rather very fast reflexes (I don't think i ever really lose reflex based games, including games like 'slap my hand before i can slap yours' etc. )
I used to be good at FPS games without too much effort, but I don't think I had any special 'gift'. Being good at games is mostly down to how much and how you train.

Also - some games have skillsets that translate to the next game better. I used to play FPS games requiring high accuracy / high speed (quake) - so when I would switch to Counter Strike for a change I'd outrank most players on pure aim and speed of aim pretty quicky - as in quake you COULD NOT frag anyone without these two. CS was more 'permissive' due to the bullet spread, a 'bad player' could headshot you with some luck. That was basically impossible in quake.

regarding team sports
Yeah i don't know about that - I've never had any interest in soccer and other team sports personally. Not sure if that's just me or not. However come to think of it among the smartest people i know well none really watches team sports on tv. So, that's my observations anyway.

Mesmeric_Moon

Soul Reaver
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
PUBG update: I improved my gun aiming by doing the weapons course over & over in CS:GO. I got my time down to 59.5 seconds. My original time was 1 min 52 seconds. Today I got 3 kills in one solo game session for the first time. That was great. I could have got a 4th kill but I didn't aim carefully the last time. My new headphones I got today are also helping me play better because I can hear much better where people are. I also reached the final 2 in squad mode, and my heart was beating so fast & hard and wouldn't stop. But then they shut down the server to update the game, so there was no winner :(. I was all ready to slaughter the other guy with my micro uzi on full auto. It's great for CQC. PUBG is deep and I'm learning more about it all the time. Looks like there is real hope for me to improve my FPS skills after all. BTW I reached rank #200 out of many thousands of people a few years ago on butterfly mode in Bejeweled. It's because that mode lets you take as much time as you want for each move. I do better with things if have time to think. ESFP's do things fast, but me being the opposite I've always liked to take my time with everything.

The struggle is real. Your story inspirational.
Maybe they'll make a movie one day about the adversities one faces as an intuitive by playing video games clearly not indented to be played by superior intellects with a reluctance to rely on their senses. Untill then hang in there.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I don't play video games or team sports...I don't even like watching sports

I also dislike action movies, driving fast and guns

I am very smart :nerd:

Ahh, so you ARE an intuitive then, I knew it!

Also

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
I can play video games but I take a long time to map out the best possible way to complete each mission. I could never do a Let's Play, I would bore everyone.

I played basketball from elementary school to high school. Easy peasy.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Video games: suck, but I like to watch.

Team sports: I don't look at this really as something to just inherently suck at or not if it's just on a childhood or casual/among friends level (when competing for professional spots, though, definitely body specs make a bigger difference)...there are things you can do to make a bigger contribution to a team, and a person will be more or less motivated to go in aggressively and do them or better themselves at them. Was I, though? Definitely not, ha.

Smart: it depends..........

Sensing hasn't helped me!

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't play well with others. Smart or lack thereof aside.

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I'm pretty smart but, yeah, I suck at video games and especially sports.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I was bad at team sports even in elementary school. I think people who are good at sports tend to also be good at video games. Now all the video games are made for sensors, except maybe a few puzzle games. They don't make video games for intuitors and highly intelligent people. I'm not good at doing simple things quickly. I'm not good at quick, accurate movements & reactions. I'm bad at spotting things visually. I tend not to notice some things. I like PUBG but my KD ratio in solo mode is only 0.34. In squad mode I only have 4 kills. I have people occasionally insulting me in squad mode. I might eventually have to quit PUBG. I heard in one youtube video that sensors have some sensing pathways in their brain that are faster than intuitors'.

I was good at sports as a kid. Still a space brain, though.
In school I opted for sitting in the bleachers and drawing weird abstract art over running in giant circles. I willingly participated in archery, though.

I wasn't very good at first person shooters or anything. I used to play MMOs. I'd probably be great at Tetris, my packing skills are insane. My favorite is LIMBO til I die. I don't play anything but Lumosity now.
LIMBO is a highly iNtuitive game, I think.

I'm not good at doing simple things quickly. I'm not good at quick, accurate movements & reactions. I'm bad at spotting things visually. I tend not to notice some things. I like PUBG but my KD ratio in solo mode is only 0.34. In squad mode I only have 4 kills. I have people occasionally insulting me in squad mode. I might eventually have to quit PUBG. I heard in one youtube video that sensors have some sensing pathways in their brain that are faster than intuitors'.
Hah, you're a step ahead of me, then. You're not good at doing simple things quickly, I'm not good at doing simple things at all.
But if some don't find it easy to do simple things, doesn't that mean the definition of simple is subjective and relative?
Thus, see response to second quote again.
A different kind of intelligence does not constitute as a lack thereof.
What happens when you put the geeky academic kid on the football field (and force him to remain a football player, not the team's strategist)?

* imagines a type based rating system for games *
Grand Theft Auto Series: Rated ESTP
Starcraft: Rated INTJ
The Sims: Rated ISXJ

Imagine a society organized by type...type-based school / job placement...

Nomendei

Elegance of chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I took an official IQ test at an educational center and i got 140, so even if the test deosn't mean everything i think i'm smart. And i'm certainly the worst Gamer of all time! For example i play battlefield one since july and i have nerver, yes NEVER, got more kills than deaths:doh:. Even worse, i never was near it! At this poin't even i personnaly think i'm ridiculous:rofl1:!!!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm good at sports. I've never gamed enough to know if I'm good at it or not.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’m not bright and terrible at sports. Good at video games though.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I feel so cheated. I have great agility and reflexes, but one you enter a ball into the game I just can't.

Quick

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am neither particularly intelligent (Not even a full standard deviation above average), nor particularly good at sports and video games. Obviously this means your model is incorrect because I am through and through an INTP :D:tongue10:

But seriously, I was a wrestler for about 6 years (starting in 7th grade and finishing as a senior in HS). I have never really been a very physical person, so you would think I wouldn't be very good at wrestling and you would be half right. My junior year I got the Most Improved award voted by my teammates and got the second most takedowns on the team and I think the most escapes. I had a winning record as a Junior and beat some pretty good players, but a losing record as a Senior. Technically I was at a disadvantage as a senior because I was so skinny that I actually had to gain weight to fit the weight class I was under (long story but basically I went up 2 weight classes in one year but was still skinny as a twig, and was a lightweight), which I was never really able to do. I have managed to put on about 10 lbs since HS and I now weight about 125 (but I have lost a lot of muscle weight). Long story short, is that I never really found my inner aggression, which hindered me quite a bit I think. Oh, and just as an aside, people really have no idea how difficult wrestling is, but you can think about it this way: It's basically like pushing against someone who is pushing against you of equal strength as hard as you can for about 6 min straight.

As for video games, I really am not anything that I would consider really any better than average. I have a campaign that I haven't finished for XCOM 2 WOTC that I play on commander (second highest difficulty out of 4 difficulties). I also typically play most games on the highest difficulty, but really, most games are not meant to be difficult (unless its PVP or something like XCOM). I also don't really get frustrated having to replay things over and over because when I finally succeed, it is satisfying. Never touched Dark Souls but those are supposed to be quite difficult.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would like to think I'm intelligent in my own ways but I have never been good at sports and have always been uncoordinated. I never intend to be on a team, back in school gym was never my best subject. I never have much liked that class. In high school, I always liked the days we would walk around the track and not do an organized sport. It's just hard to have an awareness of everything going on so quickly in the external world, all in the moment. My mind is too slow in that area.

I liked PC games when I was younger but I barely play video games now and I am not very good at them. There is one friend I have who said watching me play is painful to watch because of how sucky I am. xD I attribute this to inferior se, not being coordinated at sports. With people in general, I do know some video game people who are not into sports so they can exist without each other.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I'm intelligent in my own ways x2 but fast-paced situations and and hand-eye coordination, bodily intelligence (?) is not one of them.

Have a slower paced game that require strategy and I'd do fine, put me in say an FPS game, watch me be the first blood.
I've always hated sports, but more because you were forced to excel rather than me disliking the activity.

I swam, did badminton, taekwondo, aikido, cycling, but those aren't as scored as basketball and football back in school.
I only liked badminton, swimming, football, and did decently in them and only markedly well in my football team.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Video games: far above average, I have even smashed people with 350:0 back in a day and in strategy games it was normal that it was everyone against me, to keep it balanced.

Sports: average, perhaps even decent if I invest energy/effort. However I prefer mountain climbing and wondering around islands/hills for physical activity.