• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do you answer your phone?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh, what a nice trip down memory lane reading this thread has been! I miss Natrushka. And substitute. And OK Radio. And a bunch of other people. And I still don't answer my phone.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Landline - very rarely.

Cell phone - always when I realize it is ringing. I don't like being constantly attached to my phone though. On the weekend, I rarely answer it.

93JC

Oh, what a nice trip down memory lane reading this thread has been! ... And I still don't answer my phone.

Ha. By contrast:

I answer mine. After all, why have a phone in the first place if I don't use it? Do I make many calls? No. Do I receive many calls? No. But I answer it unless it's some weird number from another area code.

This still rings :)wink:) true four years later. I usually answer my phone, unless I've left my cell in a pocket or on a shelf in another room.

"Weird numbers from other area codes" are almost always telemarketers or autodialers, that's why I don't answer them.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcaius never answers his land-line, as it is never for him. His mobile phone he only picks up if he knows who rang him.:unsure:

At work Falcarius has to answer the general enquiries line to callers to his work. He is pretty sure reason he has that task as part of his job is the same reason he issues parking permits at his work: he hate telephones nearly as much as he hates cars. When someone gets though to Falcarius he pretty much tells them to e-mail instead so he does not have to deal with it.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I often wish that I never got a phone, and put off answering messages. It's useful for some things but smartphones have made us dumber as a whole. I don't answer numbers that are not in my contacts. There are people who spend all day looking at their phones, and I'm guilty when it comes to looking at things I'm interested in and I used my phone for email. It's an expectation to constantly check your phone in the modern world, and the rate people expect to answer, it's invasive and it's almost like they expect you to have it implanted in your head or something. Or to not have a life beyond your phone with certain clingy people.

But I won't be rapidfire texting when I'm physically with other people. People have guilt tripped me for it before. My introversion carries over to calls and texts and I find it draining. I need a lot of alone time, and messages count as cutting into my alone time, unless they are from a very special person.

I have always despised talking on the phone and I often outright won't answer unless it's making an order, for professional reasons, or someone really close to me.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Umm... depends. :mellow:

If it’s a call from my family, I have to pick up ASAP (or as soon as I’m available) since I know it’s important. If it’s work-related from someone I don’t know, I’ll often let it go to voicemail. Either way, the “phone anxiety” is real.

Kahlil

Why is NT forum dead? This is typology website

I never answer phone because too many spammers.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rarely, unless I know the person calling. Even then I have to be in a conversational mood to engage in anything outside of one-word answers meant to bring closure to call.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Do you answer your phone?

I always answer unless I specifically do not want to speak to that person. It gives me anxiety not to answer. i need to know who is calling and why calling vs text. to me a call is important, something private or bad, i dunno its just always important.

And what type are you?

enfp

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I always answer unless I specifically do not want to speak to that person. It gives me anxiety not to answer. i need to know who is calling and why calling vs text. to me a call is important, something private or bad, i dunno its just always important.

And what type are you?

enfp
I avoid answering my phone, unless I am expecting a call. I prefer to communicate by email or text.

fatgurl

ARMY
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
If I don't know who it is probably not. My family members always get upset at me for this. And sometimes even when I know who it is I won't answer. I hate talking on the phone, and I don't want to be sucked into some conversation I can't get out of.

Nowadays, I really only answer if my family calls me. Unknown numbers depends on what mood I'm in.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
No one really calls me except for my doctor and, "wE've been TRYING to rEACH yoU about your cars exTeNded WARraNTy", so if it's the doctor I shall. If someone were to actually call me, I'd answer it. I don't enjoy talking on the phone at all, but if they were calling me it'd be for a reason and thus I'd be compelled to answer. I do answer calls from numbers I don't know if the area code is right cause it could be business stuff, but 90% of the time it's a bunch of spam.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I feel up to it, yes. Certain people, I will always answer for. If I don’t recognize the number, no, I screen the call.
Type: INFJ.

Edit: awwww the first few pages talk about landline phones. </3

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I answer it, even with the possibility of spammers. Nothing beats hearing a hispanic woman calling you, with dogs and children screaming in the background trying to sell you car warranties for your 2002 toyota echo.

Cxs

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
And what type are you? My burning questions this morning.

I very rarely answer my phone. If I know I'm expecting a call (husband calls every night at x o'clock while working a certain shift), I'll pick it up, but generally I let it ring. I don't even go listen to the answering machine. And I wont get call display, because I'm not interested in seeing who's calling. Plus I don't want to have to deal with "you saw it was me, why didn't you answer". :doh:

And what type are you?

INTJ

------------------------

I live with an introvert who answers the phone. Even when he knows he shouldn't (i.e., when he knows his dad is calling and it's going to be a Bad Call). To him a ringing phone must be answered (he's an SJ btw). To me a ringing phone must be silenced - (by setting answering machine to two rings, or turning the ringer off). While I think introversion plays a part in this, I think there are other factors at work.

I hate being interupted. H-a-t-e-i-t. That's what the phone is to me, an interuption. I know I'm not alone.
Lmao 🤣 was so happy to see this question... because I avoid it like the plague now. Even though I'm an ENTP and I used to make a ton of money via phone conversations but now I literally will NOT answer it, I'm not tempted to open text messages, I'll have 69 unread texts and still just leave them there. Vm box is full... permanently. I'll scan the list of senders incase it's important (ie like a stranded kid or a sudden death) but short of detecting panic I pretend like it doesn't exist anymore.
This Includes socializing and social media. This is the first forum I've contributed to since shortly after Trump was elected. (Which is when I eventually became disheartening and disinterested in consorting with others and became disentangle from the external world of ignorance lunacy and idiocy). Additionally, at some stage of this process I even felt a strange anxiety toward using the phone residual anything that required me to initiate a call to maybe make an appointment for instance. It was strange. But now it's simply just a disinterest which I'll admit, Im gradually attempting to cure within myself without directly acknowledging doing so. Mostly bc it doesn't feel like it's necessarily a healthy perspective, nor is it particularly conducive of growth or fwd mobility. I fear it may result in stagnation which is intolerable. Alternatively, it's been a very long time by now and I've not suffered any consequences still which is a very unexpected result to realize. Ok. I'm done rambling now.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Lmao 🤣 was so happy to see this question... because I avoid it like the plague now. Even though I'm an ENTP and I used to make a ton of money via phone conversations but now I literally will NOT answer it, I'm not tempted to open text messages, I'll have 69 unread texts and still just leave them there. Vm box is full... permanently. I'll scan the list of senders incase it's important (ie like a stranded kid or a sudden death) but short of detecting panic I pretend like it doesn't exist anymore.
This Includes socializing and social media. This is the first forum I've contributed to since shortly after Trump was elected. (Which is when I eventually became disheartening and disinterested in consorting with others and became disentangle from the external world of ignorance lunacy and idiocy). Additionally, at some stage of this process I even felt a strange anxiety toward using the phone residual anything that required me to initiate a call to maybe make an appointment for instance. It was strange. But now it's simply just a disinterest which I'll admit, Im gradually attempting to cure within myself without directly acknowledging doing so. Mostly bc it doesn't feel like it's necessarily a healthy perspective, nor is it particularly conducive of growth or fwd mobility. I fear it may result in stagnation which is intolerable. Alternatively, it's been a very long time by now and I've not suffered any consequences still which is a very unexpected result to realize. Ok. I'm done rambling now.
I've seen middle-age ENTP acquaintances suddenly disappear or go off the grid for a while. Later on they suddenly reappear in society with a beard down to their navel and stories of playing the hermit for the past few years.

I'm not quite sure what that's about. Maybe it's world-weariness due to overdose of Ne-Dom. I've seen ENFPs do the same thing, that is, need to take breaks from the world for a while.

Anyway, to respond to the OP: I turn off the ringer and leave the phone at home unless I'm specifically expecting a call. I check messages when I get home and only get back on messages from people I know. I basically just use my smart phone as an answering machine.

Last edited: