• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] What happens if you correct an INTP?

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
I mean no offence. I love INTPs! But I’ve seen a few alleged INTPs make spelling mistakes and generally misunderstand what people are saying (all while they're talking about being incredibly logical and rational :D). So... how would an INTP react to being corrected? And do you think that most of the people who claim to be INTPs on the internet actually are INTPs?

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bruises our ego to be called out, coupled with a brief flash of inferiority -- Yet we'll never say anything as that would be acknowledging that we let someone get under our skin.

Don’t know. I don’t believe I’ve pissed one off by correcting them. I usually don’t correct people unless they’re being an ass.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think I have ever experienced anything of the sort. I find any criticism I give is usually well-received because I hate giving it and go out of my way to offer suggestions and make it not seem harsh.

It probably varies from person to person. And also on the type of criticism. Is it a friendly suggestion like "Hey I noticed this problem, and I think it might be helpful if you looked at it this way/did this." Or completely disregarding or insulting whatever it is that the other person sees as negative or needing improvement. Generally, people regardless of type tend to react better to the former than the latter. Everyonce in awhile, I have encountered someone that only responds well to very harsh critiques. But I can't remember one ever striking me as an INTP.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would think that a really mature and well-developed one would be willing to admit their mistake and make adjustments as necessary.

Novella

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4W5
From my experience, limited as it is, intps are receptive to constructive criticism.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Perhaps more so [tentatively] than INFJ's, INTP women are quite an enigma.

Look at Charlotte Gainsbourg or Winona Ryder:

Charlotte-Gainsbourg-egerie-du-parfum-Balenciaga_exact1024x768_p.jpg

tumblr_nwysq3OlSP1r06q46o1_1280-760x1024.jpg

Perhaps they tickle the quizzical part of me because I don't see as them often as INFP's.

Ti is a very underrated function I feel.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Personally I like any opportunity to increase my knowledge base, and sometimes that means being corrected.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
They would rather be corrected from a book than by another human being. Perhaps say 'I've read that' and then correct them. They can't handle it otherwise.

Or maybe say 'could this be a better explanation.' I think that has worked too.

Warrior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP

Look at Charlotte Gainsbourg or Winona Ryder:

Charlotte-Gainsbourg-egerie-du-parfum-Balenciaga_exact1024x768_p.jpg

tumblr_nwysq3OlSP1r06q46o1_1280-760x1024.jpg

Perhaps they tickle the quizzical part of me because I don't see as them often as INFP's.

just when I thought I had gotten over my masturbation habit. jk, i was strong. but i feel emotionally weak. but to answer the question, i react well when my friend kindly corrects me, when others rudely do so, i internalize it, when my mom does it all hell breaks loose. then again, i may be an intj. still trying to figure it out.

Warrior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
just when I thought I had gotten over my masturbation habit. jk, i was strong. but i feel emotionally weak. but to answer the question, i react well when my friend kindly corrects me, when others rudely do so, i internalize it, when my mom does it all hell breaks loose. then again, i may be an intj. still trying to figure it out.

I may also get into denial or avoidance.

Barsukbrecon

INTPs such as myself are pretty calm human beings, so when someone corrects me I think they are assholes and I hope they will step on an egg in the near future. That is if I'm texting with a person I don't really like or me being already irritated by something else. In other situations I just reply 'k'.

Lead Guitar Wankery

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Depends on the individual and the context. I suspect that most people find spelling corrections outside of an academic context to be trifling and annoying.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7

WTf does this have to do with debating? Jesus Christ you're almost as bad as Warrior.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
WTf does this have to do with debating? Jesus Christ you're almost as bad as Warrior.

Well isn't that the sex.

(people said that all the time senior year in hs, I didn't understand before, but I do now)

b00yr.gif

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
What happens? Nothing. INTP loves brainstorming. ;)

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
depends on how you do it, and if there is emotional (ewww, hah) attatchment to being correct in that context...

i like to be correct, and being corrected helps me towards that goal (if the correction is legitimate)... sometimes it is a matter of opinion, trivial to the point being made, done to undercut me, or otherwise a waste of my time... by all means correct me, but do it when it is relevant...

post script:

i had left this a mess prior because it was funny to leave correctable mistakes... saw it again and decieded to just fix it...

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No one has ever done it and lived to tell the tale.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What happens if you correct an INTP?

Somehow, I want to answer this question in the form of: If you give a mouse a cookie, just don't have time to work out all the Rube Goldberg permutations that somehow result in the INTP getting corrected again in the end.