• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] What happens if you correct an INTP?

Jade Heart

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
They would rather be corrected from a book than by another human being. Perhaps say 'I've read that' and then correct them. They can't handle it otherwise.

Why do you think they'd rather be corrected by a book? Does that stem from some sort of disinclination to direct human contact, you think? After all, books are written by people. (I'm not trying to be aggresssive; I'm just wondering what you think about that.)

Lead Guitar Wankery

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Why do you think they'd rather be corrected by a book? Does that stem from some sort of disinclination to direct human contact, you think? After all, books are written by people. (I'm not trying to be aggresssive; I'm just wondering what you think about that.)

Maybe because people sometimes correct others for assholish reasons and that dynamic isn't present when getting information from a book. That's why I would prefer the book at least.

Jade Heart

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
Maybe because people sometimes correct others for assholish reasons and that dynamic isn't present when getting information from a book. That's why I would prefer the book at least.

Do you mean reasons like wanting to intimidate or discredit?
I've adapted to situations with people who enjoy criticizing me, in attempts to do one or both, although I won't say I'm happy that I had to get used to them in the first place.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No one has ever done it and lived to tell the tale.
I do it quite often. Still here . . .

Do you mean reasons like wanting to intimidate or discredit?
Some people deserve to be discredited - or more to the point, those around them deserve for it to happen.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
If an INTP is running in the wrong direction of interpreting what someone said, you'll get an OHHHHHhhhh out of them and sincere appreciation if you course correct them- though it might take some initiative to cut them off, stop them, and get them going in the right direction.

However, if you correct an INTP on a spelling mistake for a word you understood perfectly well, he or she is going to be irritated that you're wasting their time with such boring and unnecessary things like 'correct spelling.' Please. Save that DMV accountant crap for the TJs who care. :D

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think that there's a misconception about INTPs. I used to date one and he was very open to debate and talk about alternatives. He loved to argue, but he also always listened to other people and tried to understand their point of view. I think that a lot of INTPs are far more open and flexible than they might look like at first.

Jade Heart

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
Some people deserve to be discredited - or more to the point, those around them deserve for it to happen.

I agree with you. However, not everyone does it for the same reasons. Sometimes they just want to be aggressive, even if they fail to discredit their target reasonably. In that context, discredit refers more to slander.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
wrong again lux...

hey guys, you've got to hear this cool story...

The Most Liked Member is always right. The Most Liked Member gets to write history the way they desire. Just like the Kings of old.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you happen to be wrong, bad things. Very bad things. Very very bad things.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love tripping up INTPs on technicalities to see how far they will go to prove a point. ;) It is the INTJs who I feel like I am going into the twilight zone with... a simple statement can turn into hours of analysis of nuances.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I love tripping up INTPs on technicalities to see how far they will go to prove a point. ;) It is the INTJs who I feel like I am going into the twilight zone with... a simple statement can turn into hours of analysis of nuances.

And that is bad because ....

:cool:

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And that is bad because ....

:cool:
Ha... You guys make my poor brain hurt... :peepwall: One session can make me feel like, "What? I know that we drew some logical conclusions but how did we arrive there in the first place..? We just went through about 50 nuance changes. Your interpretation at certain points was completely different than mine and not what I expected. But if I ask for clarification and backtrack now, will this be another hour? And is it worth it?" Find it quite interesting but man, it can be mental gymnastics. :laugh:

INTPs, after awhile, just seem to throw in a random comment here and there to change the mood. Lol.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Ha... You guys make my poor brain hurt... :peepwall: One session can make me feel like, "What? I know that we drew some logical conclusions but how did we arrive there in the first place..? We just went through about 50 nuance changes. Your interpretation at certain points was completely different than mine and not what I expected. But if I ask for clarification and backtrack now, will this be another hour? And is it worth it?" Find it quite interesting but man, it can be mental gymnastics. :laugh:

I hate to spoil the mystery but that can be the method of how we get attention, or even flirt in some situations.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They melt

melting.gif

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I agree with you. However, not everyone does it for the same reasons. Sometimes they just want to be aggressive, even if they fail to discredit their target reasonably. In that context, discredit refers more to slander.

Right because they're terrified of anyone thinking they're anything less than aggressive, male and 100% correct, even for a second.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Speaking only for myself, what you describe is a rare treat because most people don't have the interest or perhaps ability to keep up with such a conversation. So, when I run into someone who does, I take advantage of the opportunity. My ENTJ friend is great for this; also a couple INFJs I know.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

INTPs, after awhile, just seem to throw in a random comment here and there to change the mood. Lol.

That's because we get bored after a while and want to move on to something else.

Radio Bob

Resident Alien
If the correction is based upon facts, I will stop, accept it, learn, and gain respect from my teacher, (regardless of our social or cultural positions). If the correction appears to be an emotional or slanderous based one, other than being courteous, it is generally ignored unless heard from multiple uncoordinated sources. I don't mind having my spelling corrected and have made a couple of life long friends at the tail end of a technical challenge and argument. :)

Last edited: