• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] You Know You're An INTP When...

Jetta

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
  1. You take forever to make up your mind, but once you do, you stick with it. (Until it doesn’t work anymore.)
  2. You don’t get people, and people don’t get you. You will be totally comfortable living on a isolate island.
  3. You start a lot of projects that never get completed.
  4. People think you argue because you have to be right, but arguing is just a part of your learning process and your quest to get at the truth.
  5. You have a relentless fear of failure.
  6. You procrastinate and postpone decisions due to a fear of missing an important piece of the puzzle or overlooking a better option.
  7. You like to play devil’s advocate and argue a viewpoint you don’t necessarily believe in just to see where it takes you.
  8. You feel the need to keep checking if you are really an INTP.
  9. You manage to offend others in ways you never intended or viewed as being offensive.
  10. You consider other’s opinions but trust your own insights above all others.
  11. You do not draw attention to yourself and tend to be taciturn but when someone broaches a topic in which you are deeply interested you can be very talkative..
  12. Though you have compassion and ethical principles, you do not wear your heart on your sleeve and tend to ignore or repress feelings from influencing most of your decisions.
  13. You are always questioning and second-guessing what you truly believe.
  14. You know how hilarious you can be but find that a lot of people don’t get your sense of humor. Nobody finds you funny but yourself, and despite this, you are always trying to make clever jokes that no-one gets.

via astroligion

uncrowned

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
15. By the time people have caught up, you're already onto the next thing. Bye. :bye:
16. You're also okay with risk and acting before you know everything, thanks to your master improvisation skills. ;)
17. People have difficulty knowing whether you're being sarcastic or not. And actually... even you don't even know half the time... and now you're starting to think it's both.
18. Seriously though, why's it always between choice A and B? Why not C--> both or D. all of the above? :D
19. You feel the need to correct, not because you want to argue, but because non-truths bother you....... please forgive me (or don't :unsure:):

You take forever to make up your mind, but once you do, you stick with it. (Until it doesn’t work anymore.)

Honestly though, I really don't. I make up my mind very quickly (thanks to intuition). I can tell pretty quickly if something or someone (a relationship) is past its expiration date or if a decision is right or not. Then again, I have a pretty developed Ni and I'm an empath so strong gut feelings of knowing something on the spot are common.

You don’t get people, and people don’t get you. You will be totally comfortable living on a isolate island.

I very much so get people. I think lots of people also get me, they're just surprised sometimes because I don't fit into their faulty beliefs. But that's all that stands between them and me, those faulty beliefs. I live my truth very confidently though, and they cannot be fake with me and automatically see that I embody my truth.

You have a relentless fear of failure.

This is not part of being an INTP. It's part of being an anxious person who operates on the belief that failure = bad or final or means that I'm stupid or lacking in some way. Not so. Life would suck if I never "failed"... boring!

You procrastinate and postpone decisions due to a fear of missing an important piece of the puzzle or overlooking a better option.

I don't.

You like to play devil’s advocate and argue a viewpoint you don’t necessarily believe in just to see where it takes you.

I don't argue viewpoints, I argue points because it just so happens that both (all) sides/viewpoints consist of good points (among the bad ones, which I never argue for).

Though you have compassion and ethical principles, you do not wear your heart on your sleeve and tend to ignore or repress feelings from influencing most of your decisions.

I used to do this once upon a time and it proved to be very harmful. Logic and feeling are not mutually exclusive. Case 1: I don't like discussing things with people who are insulting and are more interested in proving themselves right than they are about getting to the bottom of things or improving upon an idea. Case 2: everyone is after a feeling... deciding on something with your head only is not fulfilling in the long run. We are not mechanisms, we're organisms. Feelings are incredibly important because they tell us exactly what we need. Get in tune with them. The sooner the better your quality of life.

You are always questioning and second-guessing what you truly believe.

No longer the case. I'm always questioning that which I do not yet know. And there is so much I do not know, so I'm always seeking.

You know how hilarious you can be but find that a lot of people don’t get your sense of humor. Nobody finds you funny but yourself, and despite this, you are always trying to make clever jokes that no-one gets.

Lots of people find me funny though. :smile:

Edit: then again, I realize this is more of a general INTP thing.... they don't apply to me but might to many others so in that sense they're true.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You have so many "What if" scenarios in your head, but because you're already convinced that nobody would understand or consider them, you don't see the point in bothering to mention them with anybody.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When you're okay with asking "stupid questions" in order to acquire a single detail you lack. Even if it earns you an exasperated look.

Harumi1380

MBTI Type
INTP
When you're reading"you know you're an INTP when..." and smile,while everyone else think what kind of weird **** are you

Quick

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When someone finds you laughing to yourself and asks you why you are laughing and you have to say it too complicated to explain.

Smeow

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
51x
your first thoughts when someone expresses their feelings towards you are to review your extensive readings into psychology, translate their feelings into an abstract concept you can understand, decide the most logically fitting response to their emotional need, and finally respond because your own emotions are incredibly unrefined. The person meanwhile is looking at you, wondering if you heard them. Don't really understand people on an emotional level until you read studies linking genetics and personalities traits, learned about typology, and done extensive reading into psychology. Basically you only emotionally understand people because you can see the logical patterns and bio-chemical sources related to them. You didn't respect feelings as a productive way to navigate the world until after this or a personal tragedy. Your first thought to people's emotional judgments is whether they are rational or not.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When you try to be romantic and end up mentioning a statistic.