• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs, which types do you favour the most?

intprocrastination

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm relatively new to MBTI and as an INTP, I've seen a lot of posts (particularly on tumblr) that talk about how INTPs are always best friends with ENFPs and INFPs, which, while I find 100% accurate in my case, I don't quite understand why? The types I actually tend to admire the most are: ISTP, ENTP, and INTJ, and the only two F types I genuinely like are ESFPs and ENFPs. It just so happens that a lot of my friends (in high school where I am right now) are ENFPs, and I really don't plan on talking to any of them once we graduate. I am, however, super keen on finding ISTP and ENTP friends. So I now have two questions:

1) why are ENFPs and INFPs stereotypically linked with INTPs?
2) INTPs, which types do you favour/admire the most?

bonus: types that I'm intrigued by but I know that in real life I tend to dislike them; ESTP, ESTJ, ENTJ

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like IxFx types the most in general, although I am open to all types. I do tend to have communication issues with a lot of ESxx types, however.

supersleuth

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
1) I think it's because ENFP/INFP are some of the only types that actually pursue INTPs as friends/romantic interests. They are better able than other types to see and appreciate our positive qualities.

2) Aside from xNFPs, I am drawn to ENTJs and ESTJs. These types, when healthy, are really fantastic people. I love having conversations/debates with them because they are willing to have interesting discussions and are not easily offended. I admire their confidence and moral uprightness. (also, ENTJs can be really sexy, which doesn't hurt :wink:)

shirotokuro8

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
1) I'm not sure, but maybe it's because ENFPs and INFPs are generally warm people and that's what draws Rationals to them?

2) I like INFJs and ENFJs (apart from my own personality type, of course). I'm more of a logical and rational person, so being around people who are friendly, warm and positive and openly show their emotions makes me open up as well. :)

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I'm relatively new to MBTI and as an INTP, I've seen a lot of posts (particularly on tumblr) that talk about how INTPs are always best friends with ENFPs and INFPs, which, while I find 100% accurate in my case, I don't quite understand why? The types I actually tend to admire the most are: ISTP, ENTP, and INTJ, and the only two F types I genuinely like are ESFPs and ENFPs. It just so happens that a lot of my friends (in high school where I am right now) are ENFPs, and I really don't plan on talking to any of them once we graduate. I am, however, super keen on finding ISTP and ENTP friends. So I now have two questions:

1) why are ENFPs and INFPs stereotypically linked with INTPs?
2) INTPs, which types do you favour/admire the most?

bonus: types that I'm intrigued by but I know that in real life I tend to dislike them; ESTP, ESTJ, ENTJ

I tend to not get on well with most Feeling types, because they see me as a brutal savage, mostly because I lack empathy and I find values quite... replaceable. If there's a link between INTPs and xNFPs, it must be, according to me, because of Ne, that sense of randomness and colossal mental disorganization that we all share.

I think I don't favour anyone depending on their type. I mean, most of my friends are INTPs, but I don't get on well with the more geeky/nerdy? side of INTPs (the ones who like fighting over politics or Star Wars or Marie Curie). I get along well, in general, with NTs and/or TPs, and I tend to not get along with ESFxs, because they're too... excessive in everything for my taste.

Novella

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4W5
I am an infp and partial to both intp and entp. Please keep in mind when I refer to 'they' I am talking about those that I know and am close to not the type per se. It takes some adjustment to get used to their lack of tact if you are not used to this type but the interaction these types offer, to me, is delightful, often entertaining. and I admire their blunt way of communicating and their ability to have D&M's about a wide range of subjects. Once you establish a level of trust with them they are also very loyal and protective. They are also highly adaptable in terms of social environment and although they may feel uncomfortable in certain situations they hide it well.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
mmmm... *grumble*

i think most intp are pretty investigative, particularly when they are invested in a person/thing/idea... i would guess that having their problems and feelings examined in detail makes them xnfp special/important... that their problems matter; that they matter... i think intp are good at listening (when invested in doing so)... they are good at tracking details and trends when they are invested... i have other theories on all of this that don't go down this line of thinking, but it think for many xnfp that this is a significant factor in why they value intp friendship...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
mmmm... *grumble*

i think most intp are pretty investigative, particularly when they are invested in a person/thing/idea... i would guess that having their problems and feelings examined in detail makes them xnfp special/important... that their problems matter; that they matter... i think intp are good at listening (when invested in doing so)... they are good at tracking details and trends when they are invested... i have other theories on all of this that don't go down this line of thinking, but it think for many xnfp that this is a significant factor in why they value intp friendship...

I've known INTPs to get with SFPs and do something similar... Fi likes being understood and acknowledged. That deep well of understanding never makes me think that something I said won't have the proper impact, or that it will be misunderstood. I hate trying to force people to understand something that they cannot grasp, and I enjoy INTPs because that is almost never the case with you guys.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't understand why don't INTP work well with INFP or ENFP? They are all sensitive, philosophical and intellectual types. ENFP can have an appearance as introverted NT and INFP can be brutal organized and dedicated when they are commit to something... ;)

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I think I like the NT group but I don't favor any time.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
I would understand if ISTP as realist cannot take NF types but INTP? They have a lot of in common. Starting for be a nerd. ;)

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
tbh i love most types, SPs are defo the types i have the least interaction with and i've only had one ISTP friend in school, she was awesome but she was really up and down. i favour IXTJs (enjoy INTJs company more), XNFPs, and to an extent XNFJs. i also really enjoyed my ISFJ friends' company in school but i havent had a single ISFJ friend since school and drifted apart from them :( i admire EXTJs but we dont get along too great, i like them somewhat from afar, i only have one ESTJ friend, she's awesome but i dont like miss her presence and since i graduated havent talked to her all that much, just now and then. she's hella busy being all ESTJ and stuff. also INTPs lol but i either dont meet many or im really bad at figuring out who's the same type as me irl, i think i try to compare to myself too much and it gets in the way of me figuring out if someone's an INTP like me.

also i thought it seemed self explanatory that Ne is why INTPs would get along with NFPs so well.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I get along with INFJs and ISFPs the best, but I also really like ISTJs and INTJs.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I think I don't favour anyone depending on their type. I mean, most of my friends are INTPs, but I don't get on well with the more geeky/nerdy? side of INTPs (the ones who like fighting over politics or Star Wars or Marie Curie). I get along well, in general, with NTs and/or TPs, and I tend to not get along with ESFxs, because they're too... excessive in everything for my taste.

She was so much a Polish! [fighting]

Lovermanshaba

MBTI Type
INTP
Hi,
It depends on the person and their background as you can gain friends from family then this may give you ways to perceive people in the big wide world. I am an INTP and have many friends who have type ESFP or INTJ

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fi and Ti can clash quite a bit. An INTP and INFP may get along well due to shared Ne and respect for each other's introverted sides, but that introverted judging difference may be why you rarely hear either calling the other their favorite type.

The INTPs I've met so far haven't really liked me. I think they see me as too whimsical.

FlagellumDei

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Fi and Ti can clash quite a bit. An INTP and INFP may get along well due to shared Ne and respect for each other's introverted sides, but that introverted judging difference may be why you rarely hear either calling the other their favorite type.

The INTPs I've met so far haven't really liked me. I think they see me as too whimsical.

INTPs find logical inconsistencies aggravating. Feelers seem to be unaware when making these. Therefore IxTPs may seek to correct them often without tact. I have been told I am too blunt with people. I don't deny it, nor seek to change.

Last edited:

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTPs find logical inconsistencies aggravating. Feelers seem to be unaware when making these. Therefore IxTPs may seek to correct them often without tact. I have been told I am too blunt with people. I don't deny it, nor seek to change.

I notice that INTPs seem to rather be more bored or disinterested with my Fi than anything else which may be the cause of lacking systematic backing, as you said. I can understand why Ti may be annoyed at how Fi ideals don't always logically align, and I think that INTPs inconsistent emotional energy due to inferior Fe can also make the Fi user uneasy.

FlagellumDei

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I notice that INTPs seem to rather be more bored or disinterested with my Fi than anything else which may be the cause of lacking systematic backing, as you said. I can understand why Ti may be annoyed at how Fi ideals don't always logically align, and I think that INTPs inconsistent emotional energy due to inferior Fe can also make the Fi user uneasy.

Can you explain this emotional energy thing in a bit more detail? Curious.