• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] The INTP / ENTP Need for Mystery: Mysticism, Theism, & Pantheism

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"'Pleasure disappoints, possibility never.'"

The INTP / ENTP Need for Mystery: Mysticism, Theism, & Pantheism

To sustain an attitude of mystery toward the universe, NTPs commonly resist theories that explain life or its evolution in terms of pure mechanism / physicalism. As I observed in The INTP Quest, “Viewing the world as a conglomeration of cold, lifeless, and predictable mechanisms is off-putting to both Ne and Fe.” Pure mechanism leaves little room for the sense of mystery that moves and inspires NTPs

Charles Darwin, for instance. It was not enough to simply catalog and categorize the various species of birds, plants and other animals he encountered. It was the possibilities and implications those categorizations led him to consider that likely energized him to write The Origin Of Species and took him beyond mere Linneanesque cataloging.

brightflashes

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting observation. Would it be possible that this might be a human thing rather than an NTP thing, though? Whatever one doesn't understand becomes what is considered mystical? Or, whatever that elusive aspect of reality which one is less acquainted with then becomes something which holds mystery? I mention because I have recently wondered if being inferior Se might be why I'm attracted to nature-based religions, or practices which honor nature and the earth. I don't mean anything extra new-agey or nonsensical. I just mean being mindful of the Earth's natural cycles, the agricultural year, spending contemplative time in nature as means for restoration, etc...

Perhaps closer to your original intent with the post, I think that things which don't tend to fit into systems that I create for myself, those outliers, are actually irritants rather than anything I regard with positivity. However, I hold an inherent respect for those things which science and a person's tiny mind cannot fathom an explanation for.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was surprised by how much this rang true for me. The resistance of physicalism fits, since I do prefer free will to determinism. I also find pantheism more interesting than monotheism (although I don't actively practice any religion), and now I'm wondering if this would be different if I were ENTP instead of INTP. I also sometimes experience the oscillation between rationality and mystery that was mentioned here. INTPs are usually described as purely logical (which I don't relate to), so it was nice to see an alternate take for once.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have recently wondered if being inferior Se might be why I'm attracted to nature-based religions, or practices which honor nature and the earth. I don't mean anything extra new-agey or nonsensical. I just mean being mindful of the Earth's natural cycles, the agricultural year, spending contemplative time in nature as means for restoration, etc...

Perhaps INTx in general gravitate towards these kinds of non-Christian religions, and ENTx gravitate more towards Christianity.