• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] the morality of NTs

MissMurder

MBTI Type
eSTP
What brand of morality to you hold yourselves and others accountable to?

The standard for myself is what would Jesus do? I don't always hit the mark, but that's the gold standard.

As for other people, they hold themselves to their own standards. I can't change that so I just observe their behavior. If I like it I continue to associate with them. If not, I don't.

Do people trust you?

Yes.

Do you consider yourself trustworthy?

Yes.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

"True morality makes light of morality" (Pascal)

I have a big problem with authority. Not because I enjoy to challenge it, but mainly because this concept is completely alien to me.

I can lie, I can cheat if necessary, but I can't stand people who use violence, whether physical or psychological.

Do people trust you?

They shouldn't.

Not at all. When asked, I can do the best or the worst, but nothing in the middle.
Since I have the reputation to be the benevolent guy, I'm very often called upon, so I find it very difficult to keep my words everywhere.

Last edited:

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ

Do people trust you?

Morals? Are worthless. You follow the rules set by a bunch of bumbling SJs, but morals should never get in the way of progress.

Yes and yes.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
I listen to my own conscience. I don't care what anyone else thinks is right or wrong for me. I don't hold others to any standard, they are accountable to themselves.
Do people trust you?
Yes.
Very.

Last edited:

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I don't follow any "brand of morality" consciously, I just do what I think is right. Although, I have been accused of being amoral countless times, so I can't really vouch for the success of this lifestyle.

Depends on on the question "with what?"

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Here is a basic summary of my morality: I may not be a nice guy, but I'm not a scumbag either.

Dealing with me you usually get what you deserve (good or bad)

Park

MBTI Type
INTP

If there's a name for it, it would probably be my own perception of "common sense".

Do people trust you?
Yes, people trust me enormously. I'm often described af honest, pure etc.

Nope - but when people get to know me, my behaviour is quite predictable which, to some extend, makes up for what I lack in trustworthiness.

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
whatever my feelings say. i changed my morals and beliefs alot compare to the standard morals in my society. So unless i write about 5pg+ i don't think i will get that out.

Do people trust you?
Yes.

Yes, that is if i truely like the person.

8lifeGREAT

MBTI Type
ENTP
I believe in balance, fairness and logic. I go by my heart

Balance in all things is my morality too. Makes me a candidate for suspicion even in the most "out there" charasmatic crouds. But my ENTP self doesn't mind being controversial because people who earn my time by proving themselves able to (NT) be open and thoughtful will find a willing and gentle debate partner.

I value balance so highly that I may seem hard to tie down. I am currently trying to figure out what's required to date more than 1 person seriously at a time. As an ENTP I build intimacy by nature so I can seem either too laid back by the balance, or too forward by the excitement of possibility and the fullness with which I bring myself IN THE MOMENT. I can seem "unstable." But I'm a moment-to-moment, full-out kind of person. I'm learning temperence.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I try my best to have a moral system, but naturally, there is none I have found which show no holes under my skeptical gaze. I merely attempt to adhere to the most conistent and definable morals as I see them.

As such, the moral system I try to follow basically goes as this. It is a teleological ethic, which means that I believe good and bad are defined by consequences. The ends are what are important. Motives and means are relevant, but again, they are only relevant in how you can relate them to the ends. Does something have a positive impact, or a negative impact?

That being said, I define positive in terms of what creates happiness and joy, and destroys sadness and sorrow. There's a very simple system here. That which does the opposite is the worst thing of all. That which say, removes both sadness and happiness, is better, but still not as good as something that removes sadness and instills happiness. It's easy enough to follow.

And it's about quantity, not just quality. Two happy people is better than one. and a long, happy life, is better than a short happy life. Though this does not actually reflect reality, it may be easier to understand if you were to imagine that happiness is an independent commodity unto itself, and the goal is to generate it in mass and longevity. Of course, imagine the same thing with sadness, but that it were something that needs to be removed, (like toxic waste).

Now, pay very close attention that I'm saying happiness, or joy, and not pleasure. Often time moral utilitarians, most obviously the hedonists, recomend maximizing pleasure. I have found, undeniably, that pleasure and happiness can exist totally independent of each other, and between the two, I've concluded that happiness is much better. I do not advocate hedonism because it merely generates pleasure, not happiness, and that the process of seeking hedonistic lifestyles often comes at the expense of things that would bring happiness. This is a fact that has lived on from ancient wisdom to modern scientific study.

Now, as I said, the theory has holes. The most obvious is the concept of degree of happiness, and degree of sadness that one person experiences. Clearly, the higher degree of happiness and lower degree of sadness, the better, and we could just apply this to every single human being and calculate it all the same. But there are two problems. One, there is absolutely no consistent way to measure a person's feelings, so calculation is impossible. If one person could be made to experience happiness at the expense of ten other peoples' happiness, but the overall degree of happiness that the one person and those ten people felt combined, was now greater than the combined amount before hand, would it be right to make it so? Should the number of people feeling a certain base degree of happiness be more important than the amount of happiness that any one person feels? Personally, I would say it does matter more, but again, the problem is that there is no way to measure happiness, so I do not know what the standard degree of happiness would be. It is never the less also a purely subjective, unrationalized decision on my part.

Another issue is about whether or not happiness is really th best thing. What if people could be made to be absolutely, mindlessly happy? Kind of like the way hedons indulge in pleasure. What if people could be made to be maximally happy, all the time, until they die? They would presumably have no motivation to do anyhting, even to maintain their lives. Society, and the human race, would die off. But they would all be totally happy doing it... So is it wrong? The only argument I can find for saying that such a situation is undesirable is that the human race would die in one generation, and as a result, there would be no more happiness at all. That would be the end. I admit though, that this requires one to attach their own sense of value to generations far into the future, which is often a hard thing to rationalize,. I can't say why it matters that happiness should exist in a future world where nothing we know now exists, so I'm not sure about that one.

Never the less, holes aside, I stick with this system because I find it the most understandable, simple, workable, and containing the least holes when compared to other moral systems. Another thing that's convenient for me is that it makes the most subjective aspect of morality, that is deciding what is good and bad unto itself, a very small and simple part of the issue. The result of this philosophy is that most moral problems simply become a matter of determining workability. The subjective part is quickly brushed out of the way, and most of the time is spent on objective problem solving. This is very satisfying for an INTP like me. :cheese:

Last edited:

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ

Live and let live. Do unto to others. Those 2 phrases pretty much boil it down. I hold myself and others to this, although I know no human being is going to be 100% capable of always living up to it (or even close to it!), including me.

Do people trust you?

Sometimes. Personal friends and family trust me. Colleagues, fellow students etc., not sure.

Mostly.

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP
Christian (specifically, Reformed).

Do people trust you?

Some people trust me.

Yes.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8

Brand? I don't believe I adhere to a brand or license of generalized morality. I used to be a secular humanist. Later, I realized the irony in that approach.

Do people trust you?

When appropriate, sure. The end result doesn't always legitimize the initial trust. Pretty similar to what others experience, I'll reckon.

Most certainly. Whether this pans to your advantage or mine is of secondary consequence.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Brand of morality? A brand like an i-pod or Nike trainers? Yes - spot on!

It is a human brand and *meaningless* to everything else - just like the Nike trainers are to bear.

It is employed because, in evolutionary terms, it is *useful*. Cooperation is integral to progress and without morality humans cannot cooperate.

I'm surprised the human race has got this far. /joke

Do people trust you?

The ones that know me do. Generally, I doubt it.

Absolutely. I derive no pleasure from pulling a fast one.

Do you trust others?

Generally no. I sit on the fence, watch the action and then decide. That said I don't distrust others as a first port of call.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Moral Stance:
My system of morality is based almost entirely on the Golden Rule, which I came to rationally and logically. If my hands were full and I needed to open a door, I would appreciate if someone opened that door for me, so I do things like hold open doors for people who have their hands full.

If someone were to kill me or a family member because they thought it was O.K., well then I believe that I have the right to enact retribution by killing them. It's a bit primitive in some respects, but I also take into progressiveness in account of my moral stances e.g. examples where "morally questionable" arguments don't directly effect me.

If a member of society is reducing efficiency/harmonious function by killing other members, then that member should be removed, just as germs are killed in the body by white blood cells.

Do people trust you:
I don't really see a reason for them distrusting me...unless if it comes to matters of connecting with them emotionally.

Do you trust yourself:
To a certain extent, yes, but I'm a terrible procrastinator and can't get things done until the last minute (or past it.)

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I have sort of been playing around a little bit with morality. I am a nihilist in the sense I don't believe in universal morality, I just believe in human nature, and in that some behaviors will make you more happy than others. You can develop a morality based on what will make you happy. What will make you happy is not being a jerk though, just caring about yourself. It's rather the relationships to other people that are the foundation of our happiness. I think therefore the most important moral principle is to try to achieve the greatest amount of happiness for yourself and the people you care about. Secondly one should try to achieve the greatest amount of happiness for all people, because if you treat others as shit, that will negatively effect your relationships with those you care about.

Do people trust you?
Those closest to me do.

Yes.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

Do people trust you?

I'm not particularly polite, but I'm a good person. I have friends who are "nicer," but I'm more loyal, more civil, more generous, and more forgiving.

I might not ask (or care) how their day went, but when they need something, I am always the one who comes through. Sometimes, I'm the only one.

It tends to take a while for people to figure this out ... that although I'm not the nice one, I am the good one.

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
1. Judeo-Christianity.

2. Most do, from what I gather. But also some are scared.

3. I have a bit of a big mouth, but I won't do anything immoral. So.... ya win some, ya lose some.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm probably the most forgiving person I know...well, besides my parents... I might have moments where I lash out, causing the recipient to think that I dislike him/her, but really I'm over whatever was annoying me very quickly, the only problem is that I don't always communicate this- I have to be asked.

As far as morals... well, I've grown up in a Christian family, so I can understand that stance, but I can also understand... well, bending some of those for the purpose of advancement. I can be loyal to people I'm very close with, but my definitions of "close" can be manipulated to allow me to justify doing something some would call... not so loyal. Although, I am working on not being so prone to ignoring what others might consider mean/unfair/manipulative/etc.

Groups I'm a part of, through school or community, are more subject to observation and criticism than my allegiance. I have a tendency to agree with a person while hearing his/her argument (because at the time it might make sense), but later on I'll decide that I think the opposite and express this to another person or through a blog. Sometimes the conflicting views are contested and the person I initially "went along with" will claim betrayal... but I really don't understand this, especially since the initial conversation usually involved my listening and was more of an experiment... to see what it is like to think from that perspective.

anyway, many people who have known me for awhile jokingly (for the most part) say that they do not trust me (i'm still entertained by trickery/pranks). people who do not know me well trust me too easily. I think my rate of trust worthiness is dependent on the obvious factors: how well I know a person, how much I like a person, and the consequences of breaking that person's trust... basically.

I trust people who I've known for a considerably long time with almost everything. Those who I can easily escape from (online, in another country) I "trust" as long as that distance is maintained and as long as my address and/or phone number is never involved. While it may look like "trust", I am willing to tell certain people things about myself only because I want to say/type it all out (and typing/saying it on the outside allows for more to make sense/connections) and also because I don't really care what they think or what they pass on to other people because it really won't have any adverse effect on me.

Sometimes I can legitimately trust people I've known for a short amount of time, but that involves a separate set of explanations that I don't want to type out.