• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] the morality of NTs

Vanitas

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What brand of morality to you hold yourselves and others accountable to?

General decency and respect/ tolerance. Good manners and taste. As much as they are applicable.

Do people trust you?

Those who matter do. Those who don't mostly do.

Do you consider yourself trustworthy?

Most of the time, yes.

juggernaut

Permabanned
Me: A hybrid of pragmatism and utilitarianism. Others: Whatever works for them (so long as they don't hurt anyone).

Do people trust you?
Yes. They may not always like me, but they do trust me and they should. I don't believe in intentional deceit or manipulation. (I do make room for sins of omission on occasion when there is no benefit in disclosure)

Yes, see above.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
yeah i do...its still being written in my head

if i fret over it long enough, i can make anything sound reasonable...so ive learnt to accept some things at their traditional value

also my morals usually end up being based on what i would expect of someone else in a similar situation...so im mirroring the consequence of my actions on someone i like and see what my reaction to them doing it would be. works out pretty good everytime

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
and oh yeah, people trust me

and i trust myself except when i end up going through the procrastination phase

Well Stocked

MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w6
For me, morality is making a good faith effort to be honest and to treat others with basic human respect. I like to think that I succeed more often than not. I generally hold others accountable to their own standards. I have very little problem with differing moral standards, but hypocrisy drives me up the wall.

Do people trust you?
That depends. I tend to be meticulously honest; when I lie it is almost always either to avoid conflict and/or to protect my privacy. I imagine my family probably doesn't trust me to follow through with things in a timely manner.

Absolutely. I'm more than able to keep secrets and I always eventually get around to doing the things that actually matter.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Respect, which reflects upon everything else, like a fundament.

Do people trust you?

Generally yes, people that get to know me surely do. Even though there's a lot of mystery to me, I'm always very open and honest, and can be asked any question. I'm also terrible at lying, which is pretty annoying sometimes as it sure wouldve come in handy at times running a business. But I believe I am incapable of doing so because trying to tell a lie just instantly disgusts myself, and I have severe difficulty bringing myself to do it. So, people that know me, know they can trust me.

Extremely. I'm even honest where some people wouldn't be. Truth may hurt, but I strongly believes everyone deserves to know all the facts concerning any situation. Even if it hurts. Not telling something because it may hurt another person is basicly disrespecting that person's ability to deal with it.

I however may be, and have been in the past, wrong about things occasionally. When it is pointed out to me and brought to my attention, I will focus a lot of energy on correcting that mistake. Again, a very trustworthy aspect, in my opinion.

indiajones

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I wouldn't know how to define morality, since there really is no right and wrong, for me. I do what seems and feels right and try to make sure my life doesn't have any negative impacts on anyone else...

Do people trust you? Oh yeah, people like to tell me everything about them and trust me with secrets etc.

Do you consider yourself trustworthy? hmm... i dunno I'm pretty deceitful, so I will stab someone in the back if it's for the "greater good" which can be a bit evil.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY

The golden rule: Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you. That's all, nothing more and nothing less.

Do people trust you?

I think so. I'm honest and fair to everybody, but my friends do know that I usually give back borrowed stuff later then the date we agreed upon. And that I'm a bit of a careless person, which can come off as irresponsible. But I do always account for my actions and make things right in the end.

Yeah, just not very reliable as to how and when things get done. I wouldn't hire myself as an accountant, for instance.

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
I'm a bit of an ENFP when it comes to morality, except I don't go around with a megaphone blurting it out.

I enjoy freedom. I encourage freedom. I like abstract art, democracy, and I listen to jazz. However, all three still have their flaws, and I'm decidedly critical when I feel like there's a need.

People don't trust me at all :p Neither do I find myself very trustworthy. There are some people I don't feel like letting down, though, they've contributed way too much to not give them a bit of warrant.

royompiscus

MBTI Type
ENtj
Enneagram
When I was around the age of 10, there was that tabletop game I wanted badly. It costed around $150 by that time.

Once my mum send me to the backery to get some bread and she gave me her banking card so that I can get the money before I buy the bread.

Well I got the money + the change I needed for my desired tabletop game. A few days later my dad asked me, if I had stolen money. I wasnt aware of banking statements by the time. I improvised and invented a story about a guy that forced me with a knife to get the money for him, while I was at the bank. I really made up a coherent story.

My very objective but morally inclined istp father, pretended to buy the story and took me to the police. There I should present it to an investigator. The hearing happened and I repeated my story. The investigator listened and then started asking question that I could not stand. To many gaps in my story, finally brought me to collapse and to admit I stole the money.

From that day on the relationship between my father and I should take years to recover. I guess I am pretty morally burned through the way I was raised

Dude, that's something exactly like my father would do. Actually BOTH of my parents were "agents of the state." Um... what did for me was a loooong depressive bout that I tried to "fix" with Existentialism... the existentialism kinda put FARH! beneathe my ruminations. "Existentialism for DUMMIES" is the amazing book.... :)

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

My own code: honesty, loyalty and respect. I believe that if everyone in the world were honest (this does not mean tactless), the world would be a far, far better place. Of course, this is a utopian idea though; there will always be dishonesty because a lot of people are weak. And this is where respect comes in: I offer my respect to all, initially. Those who lose it are those who are dishonest. Loyalty is not unquestioning - no moral code which is absolute works effectively. Rather it is a dedication to those for whom you hold a respect which is mutual, and with whom you have a relationship based on honesty.

Do people trust you?
Absolutely. I've been told in the past by many people I've only known for a short time that they feel like they can trust me. There's no big secret to it: all you have to do is be honest and open with others - you need to trust them - and you will receive the same treatment. I've known even weak people to be honest with me because they're unafraid of me. People get afraid and mistrust those who give off an trustless air.

Definitely.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Brand of Morality:

Do not do unto others as you would not want done to yourself.

Do people trust me? I'd say so.

Do I consider myself trustworthy? Yes. I'm a horrible liar, so I am always honest.

d4mselfly

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I do not believe in objective or universal morality, but I tend to subscribe to the "golden rule" of behaving to others as I wish to be treated unless I have already decided for myself that they would not reciprocate. Then, I simply do not treat them how I would not wish to be treated but make no attempt to be openly helpful of accommodating. Usually this is the result of a loss of trust on my part by some failure of honesty or respect on theirs.

Do people trust you?
Yes. I rarely make promises, but I do not fall back on even loose obligations that I have agreed to. If people come to me at all, it is for an honest response, and they are often quite liberal in expressing their private concerns because they know I will be objective.

Yes. If I was not in some way interested or had no intention of following through, I wouldn't have agreed to giving the favour/advice/etc. in the first place.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
The way I decide whether I should help someone is whether doing the favor is more inconvenient to me than not doing the favor is inconvenient to them. I think that rule is useful in most situations, from as small as buying pet food for my roommate to as big as donating an organ to a family member. Don't be so self-sacrificing as to hurt yourself, but help others.

oneoutside

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
I don't even trust the concept of morality. Morality is a subconscious set of rules. If you feel the need to abide by morals, what is it that you're so afraid of happening if you discard those morals??

I live as I desire to. Most of the time I genuinely prefer to be kind to people. Why not? I have no problem being unkind to people who give me a reason for it.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Very simple model:

Never force yeur beliefs upon someone else.

Only enforce this rule equal to someone who disregards it.

Murder is the belief that yeu think that person should die; if they disagree it is murder since yeu're trying to kill them and they don't want to. If they WANTED to die, and wanted yeur help in it (doctor assisted suicide) then no crime has been committed as yeu did not breech their opinion/beliefs.

If someone is trying to kill another, then they have demonstrated that they do not respect the rights of others to hold onto the belief that they deserve to live. As such, if they have decided that such a right is not valuable, then they are also stating in that process that they do not believe an individual has any right to believe themselves worthy of living, and are free game at that point to be forced to cease their attack, up to and including death of the perpetrator as deemed necessary by the situation.

Short form is that anyone who forces their opinion on someone else (do this or else; believe this or else, etc etc), is stating that opinions of that type do not matter to them. This includes their own. If yeu want to force yeur religion on someone at gunpoint (convert to christianity or I'll burn yeur village down!) then they have shown they do not believe that religious beliefs matter to them. Their own is now fair game to be forcibly converted.

In such a manner, this can be easily expanded and broadened to cover virtually any situation with a minimal of awkward situations where it doesn't apply easily.

I've yet to see a 'moral' belief system which has come remotely close to being so encompassing and fair, and make nearly as much sense.

Invisiblemonkey

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What brand of morality to you hold yourselves and others accountable to: Nondenominational Christian for myself, though I hold others accountable to the same principles, though with less specifics and I believe in situational lost causes (I.E. This conversation isn't getting anywhere). I'm probably less strict with my own actions than I should be, though.
Do people trust you: Somewhat, I'm not that great a following through on things, which is probably the main reason people don't trust me more.
Do you consider yourself trustworthy: Depends on the context of the situation but overall, yes.