• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Ahm.. experiences

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
INTJs. Do you have experiences with "ahm" when you want something to say? :happy2:
I remember that my father in past always complained when he asked me something and I always answer as "ahm.." and then he said to me: "What are you meaning with this "ahm..." Do you agree with me or not? Talk to me!" :blush:

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Speech dysfluencies can be a placeholder of sorts as the mind transitions quickly from a rich inner world into a more constrained, yet still dynamic outer and interpersonal world. When faced with the sudden reveille, we must rapidly assess what is being said, what are their expectations, adjust our demeanor to the situation and intuit the likely outcomes of our response to their input. If you are deeply in your mind, or are somewhat less practiced at doing all this fluidly, it often creates opportunity for a number of pauses or potentially awkward moments in conversation.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Use conversation fillers instead, moderately.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I think pandas are really cute. Everyone should hug a panda. WHoever doesn't get mauled by said panda should battle others to the death for their place as Emperor Of The Universe.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not an INTJ but I get this a lot, I just use a lot of "hm.." "ahm.." "uhm.." when speaking. I can make a whole conversation using only these sounds.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
INTJs. Do you have experiences with "ahm" when you want something to say? :happy2:
I remember that my father in past always complained when he asked me something and I always answer as "ahm.." and then he said to me: "What are you meaning with this "ahm..." Do you agree with me or not? Talk to me!" :blush:
No.
Funny you should ask.
When someone would ask me a question, I would just silently compute my answer in my head first and then answer out loud.
Well, I had an ESTJ friend who HATED that, especially when we were talking on the phone and she couldn't SEE that I was thinking.
So because of her, sometimes if I am answering someone who doesn't know me well or someone who can't see me, I WILL say "Ahhhhhm" while I'm thinking, so they will know I am thinking.

The other circumstance in which I use "Ahm" is when addressing my father when he is watching tv, or reading, or anything else which may have his attention.
I used to walk right up to him and ask him a question and he would ALWAYS say "Huh?" and ask me to repeat myself!
Well, I got tired of that!
So now I just say "Ahm" and wait until he says "Huh?" before I continue.

PS:
It sounds like your father was trying to be funny.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
No.
Funny you should ask.
When someone would ask me a question, I would just silently compute my answer in my head first and then answer out loud.
Well, I had an ESTJ friend who HATED that, especially when we were talking on the phone and she couldn't SEE that I was thinking.
So because of her, sometimes if I am answering someone who doesn't know me well or someone who can't see me, I WILL say "Ahhhhhm" while I'm thinking, so they will know I am thinking.

The other circumstance in which I use "Ahm" is when addressing my father when he is watching tv, or reading, or anything else which may have his attention.
I used to walk right up to him and ask him a question and he would ALWAYS say "Huh?" and ask me to repeat myself!
Well, I got tired of that!
So now I just say "Ahm" and wait until he says "Huh?" before I continue.

PS:
It sounds like your father was trying to be funny.

When someone ask me "Do you blah blah..." I sometimes answer "ahm.." either answer was yes or no. Problem is that answer exist but instead "yes" or "no" I just say "ahmm..." in different ways. The real deal is when I use "ahm" in every question and it's not thinking. It's the answer which you must read it trough my body reaction and melody of "ahmmm..". This is very bad thing to sansors cuz they can't know what I was trying to say. :blush:

PS:
I don't tnink so. :unsure:

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
My dad is INTJ and basically that's the only word he has when he's processing information (which is always). Unless he already has the answer to your question/his opinion of the conversation/an unwanted monologue about why everybody is wrong. Then he can talk for hours. My ESFJ mother gets really mad with this "mmmh" thing. He also responds with monosylabics to non-yes/no questions. "What do yo want for dinner?" -> Yes.

He says that his "mmh" responses are a sort of receipt to ensure he put your request in his queue of "things that need answers".

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
When someone ask me "Do you blah blah..." I sometimes answer "ahm.." either answer was yes or no. Problem is that answer exist but instead "yes" or "no" I just say "ahmm..." in different ways. The real deal is when I use "ahm" in every question and it's not thinking. It's the answer which you must read it trough my body reaction and melody of "ahmmm..". This is very bad thing to sansors cuz they can't know what I was trying to say. :blush:

PS:
I don't tnink so. :unsure:

In that case, no, I don't do anything like that.
I have a "thing" about being precise.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
My dad is INTJ and basically that's the only word he has when he's processing information (which is always). Unless he already has the answer to your question/his opinion of the conversation/an unwanted monologue about why everybody is wrong. Then he can talk for hours. My ESFJ mother gets really mad with this "mmmh" thing. He also responds with monosylabics to non-yes/no questions. "What do yo want for dinner?" -> Yes.

He says that his "mmh" responses are a sort of receipt to ensure he put your request in his queue of "things that need answers".

Well I am very quick into processing information from the outside but when I am going to think about something I just withdraw to make conclusion. Also I think a loud (Te) , but only when I am alone , when somebody is there not..my thinking is completely internal. My voice is like a rollecoster when something burns my brain in good way. Very much like Doctor Who. I am neurotic version. :blush:

In that case, no, I don't do anything like that.
I have a "thing" about being precise.

People tell me often that I am very precise person when comes to answer but I don't think it is a precision cuz precision is a Ti thing. Te is more much like give it someone concrete answer with only necessary details. I don't like details at all. I hate them. I hate when somebody talk hours about something and then suddenly I find out that is only a point for another detail! It is like a loop of bullshits. :cry:

What am I going to say? Cube is a cube with details or without details. ;)

Also when people speak to me some of them have a sense that I order them to do something but I don't. I can create image in my mind and then that image to project into someone brain and if I have a lot a time I will change that person completely. People always change when they met me. No one who ever I know is not the same person I knew sometimes and I don't know why... :cry: Am I Tzeentch or what? :shock: :huh:

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
One thing is I tend to stammer/stutter and say "ummm" a lot. I have thoughts, I struggle putting them into words, but in a weird way the fillers somehow help. It gives me a little extra time, and is a sort of transition between the actual words and sitting there saying nothing. I need a lot of time to prepare what I'm going to say and even when I do, I draw a blank when I try to say it out loud.

It helps me to gather my thoughts, and in public speaking class, I had to work on minimizing the ums. It starts to get to the point of overkill when I get anxious. There was someone who literally complained that I keep on saying "um, um, um...." It can be kind of annoying that I do that. xD