• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] TYPE CHANGE? Is it possible

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
No

An appearance of a type change- sure. Type confusion or misunderstanding some aspects of type for something
else- sure.

But a change in type... no. Mbti I believe is fixed. Enneagram becomes fixed at a young age- too young an age to consciously do anything about it.

So. In a traditional sense- no. But. In some cases I do believe type DOES develop. Or. You develop into your type. You experience your type differently because of certain environmental/psychological/developmental factors. (Like growing into your wings)

But it. Type in general. No. It doesnt CHANGE at the base of it.

Bulletproof_Bastard

MBTI Type
ESTP
Experience is likely to affect or change someone's character and behaviour. But it will not affect nor change someone's personality. Don't confuse character with personality.

8bitwalrus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w?
I think our brains are wired to have a specific order of preferred functions, but then it comes down to an argument of nature vs nurture. Certain circumstances, life events, relationships, mental illnesses, cultures, etc can alter which functions people value, which can influence what type you are outwardly. I've always been the same person internally, but there were some aspects of my personality that weren't revealed to me until I matured and became self-aware, also.

DragTV

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
absolutely. Sure perhaps an INTJ wouldn't turn into an ESFJ , but types with similar function structures can interchange , since personality is in the brain and the brain is constantly being developed and learning new experiences , some of those might change you to your core if they are huge enough.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Funny , as Intp i think i can use others funtions and improve them .
Thinking : this is how i will be foverer . It is just not a posibility.

I think you can change your type ( or at least be balance ) but with discipline similar to play the piano .
Hey XXTJ is not ok being an asshole all your life.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
No, you can manifest more your ID or any other part of you instead your EGO.

ASophisticatedZebra

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
POS
Yes, absolutely. And it is completely normal and healthy.

People are much more likely to (consciously or not); alter I and E and/or J and P.
Altering S and N & T and F; isn't so common.

Trust me on this, or do your own research.
Everyone seems to be all over the place on this question.

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In principle perhaps, in practice almost impossible. Extraversion (for example) has neural correlates that condition the psychological attitude from an early age. Changing either or both would be an improbable feat of plasticity and/or re-conditioning.

Last edited:

ugghh

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't actually think that my type changed, but there have been two things that I feel changed how I showed up to the world. The first one was realizing that my mother has a serious illness which is partially hereditary, which happened in the same month as I was diagnosed with asthma... and my grandmother died. These things together made me question how I spend my time and made me much more "YOLO"-ish. Which in turn was probably what made me start experimenting with psychadelics, anything that people describe as the most profound event in their life must be tried, right? My drug use has made me a much happier and more zen person, more present and better at understanding and dealing with other people's emotions.
I'm pretty sure I've always been the same MBTI type, though.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How boring people would be if they were that malleable.

You're you for who you are.

Not to mention everyone could be mind-controlled :laugh:
not that it isn't happening already...

Wicked Witch

MBTI Type
xNTJ
I think that yes, people can slide across the lines of all the four letters, because I am here with xNTJ and it's taken me a LONG time to nail down the 'J' Part. On the other hand, yes, there are naturally things we are inclined to preference. Because MBTI is all about your preferences and people can shift from e/i and p/j. Someone on here said that N/S and T/F are more fixed and agree. They are. That's why Kersley has the temperaments that he got from I believe Plato who got them from the four humours of the body. But in Kerisly's writing, he leaves off the P/J, I/E because that CAN change.

As for people saying the Myers-Briggs' theory is absolute, so did people think Newton's theories were until Einstein.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
If change were not possible we'd be the same people we were twenty years ago.

Hell, I was INTJ for such a long time and anyone with half a brain could understand why. As I recall I never spoke to anyone and people joked that my entirely vocabulary was " Fine." "Whatever" and "I'm going to my room."As soon as I got out my shitty situation I became my charming-insistently babbling-self.

dragon21

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
you cant change your preferences I/E S/N T/F J/P because that's your natural brain wiring, but you can differentiate cognitive functions to give the appearance of a different type, like a ENFP developing Ti and Se to appear like an ISTP, How to Experience Different Function-Attitudes

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Phineas Gage - Wikipedia

There is some debate however on how permanently his personality changed after getting an iron bar shot through his head. (I mean, okay, for the first few years, I'm willing to give anyone some room to have a negative reaction to THAT...)

Phineas P. Gage (1823–1860) was an American railroad construction foreman remembered for his improbable[B1]:19 survival of an accident in which a large iron rod was driven completely through his head, destroying much of his brain's left frontal lobe, and for that injury's reported effects on his personality and behavior over the remaining 12 years of his lifebless—blesseffects sufficiently profound (for a time at least) that friends saw him as "no longer Gage". [H]:14

The iron's path, per Harlow[H]:21
Long known as the "American Crowbar Case"bless—blessonce termed "the case which more than all others is calblesscublesslated to excite our wonder, impair the value of prognosis, and even to subvert our physblessiblessoblesslogblessiblesscal doctrines" [2]bless—blessPhineas Gage influenced 19th-century discussion about the mind and brain, parblessticblessublesslarly debate on cerebral localblessiblesszablesstion,​​[M]:ch7-9 and was perhaps the first case to suggest the brain's role in deterblessminblessing perblesssonblessalblessity, and that damage to specific parts of the brain might induce specific perblesssonblessalblessity changes.​​[M]:1,378[M2]:C​​[3]:1347​​[4]:56​​[K2]:abstr

Gage is a fixture in the curricula of neurology, psychology, and neuroscience,[5][M7]:149 one of "the great medical curiosities of all time"[M8] and "a living part of the medical folklore" [R]:637 frequently mentioned in books and scientific papers;[M]:ch14 he even has a minor place in popular culture.[6] Despite this celebrity, the body of established fact about Gage and what he was like (whether before or after his injury) is small, which has allowed "the fitting of almost any theory [desired] to the small number of facts we have" [M]:290bless—blessGage acting as a "Rorschach inkblot" [7] in which proponents of various conflicting theories of the brain all saw support for their views. Historically, published accounts of Gage (including scientific ones) have almost always severely exaggerated and distorted his behavioral changes, frequently contradicting the known facts.

A report of Gage's physical and mental condition shortly before his death implies that his most serious mental changes were temporary, so that in later life he was far more functional, and socially far better adapted, than in the years immediately following his accident. A social recovery hypothesis suggests that Gage's work as a stagecoach driver in Chile fostered this recovery by providing daily structure which allowed him to regain lost social and personal skills.

Amberiat

Infinity
Complete change? No, I don't think so. But everyone develops differently so each type appears slightly different based on which functions the person in question has developed more which can sometimes make people seem as different types than what they actually are. In some cases people might prefer their tertiary function or even their inferior function over their auxiliary or dominant functions and use them consistently, not only changing the way they are perceived by others completely but also stumping their personal growth even if the individual seems happy, most likely.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
If change were not possible we'd be the same people we were twenty years ago.

It is growing. Not changing. Your brain still operates in same way. :)

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Dc0sF41W4AA3k4Y.jpg

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think that type can be shaped by your upbringing but also by the role-models you have had. Until you get to your true self well it takes a while. I do however feel that we are one type consistently through life with minor changes here and there.

But, having said that with a lot of willpower I think a complete change can be done if the functions aren't too different

hell I would probably have a breakdown if I changed all my functions !

:scream:

FGI

MBTI Type
INTj
Can a dramatic experience or the repetitive intention of change cause major alterations in your type?

Any experiences?

Absolutely, positively NOT POSSIBLE. People are born into their type and it never, EVER changes. You can go crazy, or grow up, or whatever but your brain only has one information processing order. Massive brain damage or multiple personality disorder might affect that, but it won't change who you really are.

The fact that you would even say that means you are probably NF. Most people that are intensely confused about their type are NFers, which leads to a lot of static chatter about "type changes" and other wishy washiness. I imagine it's hard having both weak logic and sense. No insult intended. Be happy that your far-reaching emotional intuition gives you a depth of character and sociability that few could ever hope for. :happy2: