• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs hating other INTPs

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
So there's this one guy in our department, he's a programmer by profession and to be fair he does know his shit about programming. Thing is, because he knows programming better than us and we have to ask him for help with VBA and stuff, he looks down on us. I can't even engage with him in social conversation since the only things he seems enthusiastic about is programming and gaming.

I pointed out one of his errors with some code he wrote today and I could tell he didn't like it. Thing is should I be happy at that?

Yes, he does have INTP hair and he even walks about like K-2SO from Rogue One. In fact he is like K-2SO but more miserable. He is actually all Ti and no Fe. I'm not jealous though.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really want to know what "INTP hair" looks like. I lived with INTPs for 20 years, and they were generally apathetic about the attitudes of others unless the person was threatening their intellectual status and ability to operate, then the feeling was more frustration than hatred. It actually amazed me a bit about INTPs - their ability to be so genuinely apathetic, sometimes mildly amused, about the negative emotions of others.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What makes you certain he looks down on people?
Has he actually said something to directly indicate that?
Quiet, odd people regarded as smart by others can get a lot of crap projected onto them, that's why I ask.

He may be very narrow in his interests and sensitive to criticism there because that's all he is confident in. Basically, he may be avoiding stuff that makes him feel stupid as an ego defense, and that can include social interactions that are light. Often what is seen as arrogance is actually a withdrawal due to insecurity and/or the arrogance is a defense for feeling inferior in other areas.

As for the INTP hair.... ignoring personal care or appropriate dress or grooming sometimes gets attributed to all INxx types, but I have seen it occur most in INTPs. These have all been male, and that might be it too (less social pressure for style).

Even though I like fashion and makeup, I admit I don't like fixing my hair, and I am INFP. My INFJ aunt doesn't like it either. We both keep certain hairstyles to reduce the time it takes to fix it each day. She does a basic bob and I do long, bohemian waves (which my bedhead often passes for). I don't know if that's really type related, but the stereotype came from somewhere :p

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like to look pleasant but not stiff... it's got to be casual and relaxed for me to be comfortable. That being said, I could not make myself look crisp and proper if my life depended on it, I just can't manage my presentation that way.

Curious how to know "he didn't like it" when you pointed out a mistake. I would expect it to be more on the degree of someone whose identity is wrapped up in their smarts and what they produce, and also feeling inadequate to know how to address criticism socially, so... it can cause a bit of anxiety and/or is "off-script" and it's not clear how to respond, from a hardcore thinker's POV. I occasionally do see someone get really defensive/aggressive in response, but it usually comes off as cluelessness or irritability if they don't have much experience with it. The ones who have had some practice just shrug it off and/or might seem amused and joke about the other bombs in their code, etc.

isn't anything

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I don't think it's possible to hate most INTPs. They're arguably the perfect synthesis of intelligence and kindness. He's probably not an INTP.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think it's possible to hate most INTPs. They're arguably the perfect synthesis of intelligence and kindness. He's probably not an INTP.

i like the cut of your jib...

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
He could be an INTJ. What else make you think INTP?

I did consider INTJ for him as I know the arrogance part can be associated with INTJ. It's plausible. I typed him as INTP though from the way he talks to people, he'll ramble on about logic (in terms of code) and the code I've seen, yes it shows his vast knowledge but I'd expect more innovation from an INTJ. He's so cold and blunt too, but not intentionally blunt.

I really want to know what "INTP hair" looks like. I lived with INTPs for 20 years, and they were generally apathetic about the attitudes of others unless the person was threatening their intellectual status and ability to operate, then the feeling was more frustration than hatred. It actually amazed me a bit about INTPs - their ability to be so genuinely apathetic, sometimes mildly amused, about the negative emotions of others.

Tbh this is all my fault about the INTP hair, it's the unkempt chaotic order atop one's head. As for me, I think a lot about what makes people tick and other's feelings - I don't deal with drama very well but I still want to know why. I do feel very atypical for an INTP a lot of the time. Maybe this is part of the puzzle.

What makes you certain he looks down on people?
Has he actually said something to directly indicate that?
Quiet, odd people regarded as smart by others can get a lot of crap projected onto them, that's why I ask.

He may be very narrow in his interests and sensitive to criticism there because that's all he is confident in. Basically, he may be avoiding stuff that makes him feel stupid as an ego defense, and that can include social interactions that are light. Often what is seen as arrogance is actually a withdrawal due to insecurity and/or the arrogance is a defense for feeling inferior in other areas.

As for the INTP hair.... ignoring personal care or appropriate dress or grooming sometimes gets attributed to all INxx types, but I have seen it occur most in INTPs. These have all been male, and that might be it too (less social pressure for style).

Even though I like fashion and makeup, I admit I don't like fixing my hair, and I am INFP. My INFJ aunt doesn't like it either. We both keep certain hairstyles to reduce the time it takes to fix it each day. She does a basic bob and I do long, bohemian waves (which my bedhead often passes for). I don't know if that's really type related, but the stereotype came from somewhere :p

He doesn't do small talk, that's a fact. I can do small talk which usually goes off on a silly tangent. I'll bitch about people too sometimes. I've engaged him on politics briefly as well, I like discussing politics (however we did have opposing views on Brexit which went down well).

As for unkemptness nowadays I keep my hair very short, which helps with the tidiness. I did recently have a full beard because I couldn't be bothered to shave (and wanted to know what it looked like on my face), shaved it off when I got bored of it. As for the other guy, he has a tuft of hair at the back that sticks out to the side and regularly wears this shirt that looks a bit mouldy.

I like to look pleasant but not stiff... it's got to be casual and relaxed for me to be comfortable. That being said, I could not make myself look crisp and proper if my life depended on it, I just can't manage my presentation that way.

Curious how to know "he didn't like it" when you pointed out a mistake. I would expect it to be more on the degree of someone whose identity is wrapped up in their smarts and what they produce, and also feeling inadequate to know how to address criticism socially, so... it can cause a bit of anxiety and/or is "off-script" and it's not clear how to respond, from a hardcore thinker's POV. I occasionally do see someone get really defensive/aggressive in response, but it usually comes off as cluelessness or irritability if they don't have much experience with it. The ones who have had some practice just shrug it off and/or might seem amused and joke about the other bombs in their code, etc.

Looking crisp is a lot of effort but I get a sense of self achievement on the rare occasions I do. Funeral I had to go to recently I looked really dapper and felt good until I felt sweaty and horrible later on. No I couldn't look smart every day very easily.

I get this thing sometimes where I feel that people are trying to compete with me, to keep trying to prove they're better. I'm wondering if I did something in the past to intimidate him or something.

----

***maybe I'm just an asshole***

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

That makes sense. I definitely understand the various manifestations of unkempt hair, but I was kinda hoping the meaning was more specific for INTPs like...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ INTP hair is a specific electro-magnetic phenomenon resulting from increased brainwave activity. See above.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
... no wonder my hair is so messy all the time. All the brainwave activity makes it stand on end. You have helped me discover a very pivotal piece in my life. Thank you.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
... no wonder my hair is so messy all the time. All the brainwave activity makes it stand on end. You have helped me discover a very pivotal piece in my life. Thank you.

It's because we're all wizards

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
intp's are fun until they get cocky about something intuition based... i think this thread is silly... a room of intp's would be happy doing their own thing unless there was something interesting to draw our attention...