• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] ENTJ's, Maybe just misunderstood?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A predator cat seems like it would win against some condensed water vapor and various particles... Even so the cloud could easily win due to the cat getting bored of not being able to actually do anything to it.

I know that was a super lame post, but it's getting to be a bit late and I should be getting some sleep. :jew:

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
And who said I'm really an ENTJ?

For the record, I think MBTI theory is severely flawed.
I value S as much as I value N. (well, almost. Lol.)
S brings N into reality. Without S, N can do nothing but remain an idea.
I do not subscribe to the bipolar theory or forced-choice questions.

I think the Singer-Loomis women did it right by testing the MBTI assumptions,
and proving they are utter bullshit.
That's why they created the SL-TDI.
No forced-choice questions.
The function combinations are endless and individualistic.
(In other words-- reality!)

I think MBTI obliterates our greatest gold: gifted kids.
A truly gifted kid would never fall into a 16-type category.
IMO their function order would be quite unique.

I don't believe for one minute that all ENTJ's have the same exact function order.
MBTI just wants you to think that, so it's marketable to the masses.

I might score an ENTJ on a stupid online test,
but that doesn't make me an ENTJ now does it?
Nope.

I hate labels. I love truth.
And the truth, is in the function order.
Not the label.

Okay, I'm going back to being my usual cut-to-the-chase person.
My post was too long! :D

P.S. I have no desire to take over the world.
I do, however, wish the world would get its act together.

as much as i hate to do this, i have to beat your rant to death with arguments. just kidding, i love doing this.

i agree that the test is flawed because of the lack of dimension, but you have to take the results with a grain of salt. you instead choose to go fully go by the test as if it were the complete and final truth. our progress into mind research isn't complete; hell, there might even be functions and function orders we don't know about or even ones that we cannot possibly conceive - how do you expect personality types to be exact at this point? they are, at best, a guide - not an end point.

you say that S brings N into the world - i disagree. NT brings NF ideas into the world, whereas S just upholds those ideas once they become standard. S has little patience for new ideas and would much rather just stay conservative; because that's what S does best. S is the embodiment of an organized unchanging society. but without N, we would never have gotten out of the caves in the first place.

to me you seem like a person who has had the wrong first impression of something and has since then held an unforgiving grudge against it. while the MBTI isn't perfect, it is good enough to use as a directive. there is bound to be at least some truth in all of it; how else would people agree with their type? if you're going to disregard every test as long as it isn't perfect and holds all dimensions of the mind, you might as well just not test yourself and go on with your life; taking the blue pill as it were.

i too love truth, but i am a reasonable man. i know that for every truth uncovered there will be a thousand new questions asked. i don't believe there is an end to the amount of knowledge you can possibly realize. realizing all the truths in the entire universe - no, in the entire of the system of universes and worlds we live in - is impossible so long as we are human. finding every truth would be like reaching perfection - but perfection is a man made concept; it does not exist outside of our minds.

ironic isn't it; the more you know, the more you realize that you don't know anything.

Jaguar

you instead choose to go fully go by the test as if it were the complete and final truth.

You have that backwards.
I don't think it's any kind of truth--complete or otherwise.

hell, there might even be functions and function orders we don't know about or even ones that we cannot possibly conceive

"Might"?
What you think is a maybe, I already accept as a given.

There is no function order that would surprise me whatsoever,
since I have always thought that any combination is indeed possible.
My thoughts run completely opposite to those women who created MBTI.

Hell, if anything, the MBTI tells me more about the two people who created it,
than those who take it.
They imposed their own personal beliefs, and created a framework to support them.
They purposely created a test, where no matter how a person answers,
their real function order remains unknown.
And in place of reality, they have assigned a pre-packaged function order.
Even more amazing is, people actually believe it.

This is why Singer-Loomis decided to test the assumptions of MBTI,
and of course found them not to be true.
They then created a test which allowed for any function order.
No restrictions at all.
Ergo, Singer and Loomis actually gave a crap about what is true.
They then created the SL-TDI.

S is the embodiment of an organized unchanging society. but without N, we would never have gotten out of the caves in the first place.

Is that all you think S is? Aw, come on now.
Open your mind, buddy.

if you're going to disregard every test as long as it isn't perfect and holds all dimensions of the mind, you might as well just not test yourself and go on with your life; taking the blue pill as it were.

Well we know that's a crock since I already told you about a test that I approve of: Singer-Loomis SL-TDI.
The test removed MBTI's restrictive nonsense and allows for full disclosure of a person's real function order.

Balking at MBTI doesn't make someone a perfectionist, it tells me they can actually think for themselves,
and know better than to accept any theory as true, just because it's "popular."

ironic isn't it; the more you know, the more you realize that you don't know anything.

You said it.
I didn't.
:D

Jaguar

to me you seem like a person who has had the wrong first impression of something and has since then held an unforgiving grudge against it. there is bound to be at least some truth in all of it; how else would people agree with their type?

My first impression was based upon what I yelled at my screen while trying to answer each question:
Both! Both! Both!

And what I was yelling "both" to, was what I know now to be the S/N polarity.
Yes, you can score both equally, given the right test.
On Lenore Thompson's inventory, I scored S=7 N=7 giving me an X of course, in the type result.
So for you to suggest that there is "truth" in someone's,
type because they see themselves in the type is silly,
since I can see parts of myself in all 4 descriptions of ENTJ, ESTJ, ENTP, ESTP.
None of them alone, are really me.
(BTW, yes I have actually tested as all 4 of those, depending on which test I took.)

I also frequently test as neither left or right brained, but bilateral.
You see, if you really are "something"-- whatever you wish to label yourelf--
there should be corroborating evidence in many places.
My politics are no different. I call myself neither Dem or Rep.
I'm independent. I see value in some Dem issues as well as Repub issues.
But neither of which is a party I should belong to since there are views in each party I am emphatically against.
Seriously, there are some people who do not fit into any single MBTI type.
I'm one of them.

So I could read all 4 Types--ENTJ, ESTJ, ENTP, ESTP that I tested as,
and easily say of each:
Okay that part is me, but this part is the opposite of me.
It's all about S/N .
Both are true of me together, yet neither are true of me alone.

I constantly find myself saying of others:
Damn he needs more S or, damn she needs more N.
It's about balance.

Iron Mickie

MBTI Type
ENTJ
As I do agree with most of what you said, there are some statements I would like you to reconsider.

You must not wish to create a world free the people that aren't like you. Even within individuals that may cost more than they are worth exists opportunity. Perhaps inside one of these people lies an incredible cancer fighting agent, or perhaps a psychiatric patient reveals the equation for warp travel because his brain was able to put all of the pieces together in a way a normal brain couldn't or never would be able to.

Homosexuality is not the end of our species, nor is it a sign that the end is near, far away, or correlates to any point at all in reference to the end of our species. If homosexuality is not just a defect that happens from time to time, it is of little significance because the trait can not be passed on in abundance. Whether it is a dominant trait, as is Achondroplasia (Dwarfism/"Midgets"), or a recessive trait, those that express it do not reproduce. Hence, homosexuality will probably always be a part of our society, but in low abundance. Consider it population control until we find a cure for it. And to the homosexuals out there, that last statement was not saying there is something wrong with you, only that the trait you have is not consistent with evolutionary progress and must be dealt with for the greater good of the gene pool. You were born the way you were, but I doubt that you would want anyone to be subjected to the treatment or high suicide rates of homosexuals. At the very least, there should be the option of a medical cure for those who would like it.

I do not agree with religion or how it has been used. However, it is necessary in the time we live in. For the citizens of the world who are not as enlightened as some of the rest of us, religion is the only thing stopping them from tearing this planet apart. Religion is the single best deterrent to crime (as an ENTJ you probably realized this trend long ago). The laws that we follow in most of the advanced countries of the world stem from religious laws. I would agree that the major laws are good and worth following. Religion gives us the ideas of "Right and Wrong." Right and wrong for the most part keep people from becoming criminals, not necessarily laws. A mixture religion with a proper grasp of science would be optimal for society.

Feelings and emotions are necessary and even you have them. They probably only show up when you feel they are actually deserved (in extreme situations) in the form of sympathy or more probably anger and distrust. However, studies have been done and found that feelings and emotions are necessary to make any decision (as found by monitoring people with no emotions). Feelings and emotions should be kept to a minimum in those that express them abundantly, due to their frequent irrationality. Be grateful for the gift that your emotions don't control you.

In conclusion:

-The human race needs diversity to progress as fast as possible. Increased diversity drives advances in every field.

-Because diversity is necessary to advance the human race; religion is necessary to keep the diverse community from destroying our planet. I highly doubt logical reasoning of why laws are necessary would work as well.

-Everyone has emotions, they enable us to make decisions. Keep them to a minimum when you can. Emotional people are necessary to keep the gene pool as diverse as possible.

-Homosexuality is not a tool that will bring about the end of humanity. Homosexuality is seen in nearly all mammalian species, our species has just taken it to another level. Without medical treatments it will continue to exist only in low abundance. It is not a terrible or catastrophic phenomenon.

*Richard Nixon created the EPA, Welfare, and CHIP (a plan to give health insurance to all children in the United States for as low a cost as possible if not for free). He introduced Pro-Integration Legislation, Anti-Sexual Discrimination Legislation, and Ended the Military Draft of his time. What a bad guy, and not bad for an ENTJ.*

-Call me Raytheon

Jaguar

This was a reply to a much earlier post by Lucifer in 2008.

I see you are new. Welcome.
When you want to reply to a person,
click the Quote button at the bottom of their post.
You'll see their post in between the QUOTE [] brackets.

Just move your cursor on down and begin your reply.

ComplexMango

MBTI Type
ENTJ
As I do agree with most of what you said, there are some statements I would like you to reconsider.

You must not wish to create a world free the people that aren't like you. Even within individuals that may cost more than they are worth exists opportunity. Perhaps inside one of these people lies an incredible cancer fighting agent, or perhaps a psychiatric patient reveals the equation for warp travel because his brain was able to put all of the pieces together in a way a normal brain couldn't or never would be able to.

Homosexuality is not the end of our species, nor is it a sign that the end is near, far away, or correlates to any point at all in reference to the end of our species. If homosexuality is not just a defect that happens from time to time, it is of little significance because the trait can not be passed on in abundance. Whether it is a dominant trait, as is Achondroplasia (Dwarfism/"Midgets"), or a recessive trait, those that express it do not reproduce. Hence, homosexuality will probably always be a part of our society, but in low abundance. Consider it population control until we find a cure for it. And to the homosexuals out there, that last statement was not saying there is something wrong with you, only that the trait you have is not consistent with evolutionary progress and must be dealt with for the greater good of the gene pool. You were born the way you were, but I doubt that you would want anyone to be subjected to the treatment or high suicide rates of homosexuals. At the very least, there should be the option of a medical cure for those who would like it.

I do not agree with religion or how it has been used. However, it is necessary in the time we live in. For the citizens of the world who are not as enlightened as some of the rest of us, religion is the only thing stopping them from tearing this planet apart. Religion is the single best deterrent to crime (as an ENTJ you probably realized this trend long ago). The laws that we follow in most of the advanced countries of the world stem from religious laws. I would agree that the major laws are good and worth following. Religion gives us the ideas of "Right and Wrong." Right and wrong for the most part keep people from becoming criminals, not necessarily laws. A mixture religion with a proper grasp of science would be optimal for society.

Feelings and emotions are necessary and even you have them. They probably only show up when you feel they are actually deserved (in extreme situations) in the form of sympathy or more probably anger and distrust. However, studies have been done and found that feelings and emotions are necessary to make any decision (as found by monitoring people with no emotions). Feelings and emotions should be kept to a minimum in those that express them abundantly, due to their frequent irrationality. Be grateful for the gift that your emotions don't control you.

In conclusion:

-The human race needs diversity to progress as fast as possible. Increased diversity drives advances in every field.

-Because diversity is necessary to advance the human race; religion is necessary to keep the diverse community from destroying our planet. I highly doubt logical reasoning of why laws are necessary would work as well.

-Everyone has emotions, they enable us to make decisions. Keep them to a minimum when you can. Emotional people are necessary to keep the gene pool as diverse as possible.

-Homosexuality is not a tool that will bring about the end of humanity. Homosexuality is seen in nearly all mammalian species, our species has just taken it to another level. Without medical treatments it will continue to exist only in low abundance. It is not a terrible or catastrophic phenomenon.

Funny - I agree with almost everything you said (almost, because I haven't spent too much time pondering the homo issue). I've almost used the same words and examples to illustrate my identical thoughts on diversity, religion (even though I'm not religious myself) and emotion.

On emotion & decisions, however, I think I have a more nuanced theory:
1. Let us assume every decision you make is on a continuum of 0 (no) to 1 (yes).
2. Reason/'T' is useful to determine where on the continuum you agree with being (e.g. 0.20, 0.85 etc.), with a margin of error (lets say 0.05).
3. Hence, its best to rely on 'T' for decisions that are everywhere, except the 0.45-0.55 range (i.e. decisions that are too close to call using reason, due to your margin of error). i.e. you can round up 0.85 to 1 or 'yes', and round down 0.2 to 0 or 'no'
4. Hence, for tough decisions, i.e. decisions in the 0.45-0.55 range, its best to go with your gut/'F', which is the accumulated sum total of your sub-conscious, since your conscious/'T' could only go so far as your margin of error.

In other words, first use your 'T' i.e. logic - if you cannot make a call based on reason, go with 'F' - i.e. your gut.

-------

Its awesome to find that other ENTJs reason as I do - its like a clone army of people that 'git r done'.

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Iron Mickie, I thank you for your response, the count is now 2 for people who have made excellent responses to my post and about 30 that were not.
Even though it took awhile for another one it is still excellent.
I do not think our society needs religion, there are other substitutes for it. like the truth.
If people could learn to take solace in the fact that there is not meaning to life and that we can't solve or learn everything, the could free their minds from their restraints.
But it is a lot like the euphemism for it, in the Matrix Trilogy, some people are not ready, and will die trying to protect their fake world.

I can relate to your post mango, but my margin would be just the 0.5,
because I believe anything can be reasoned except those unforeseeable situations where only action you can take is action itself.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
You can't really prove that there is no meaning to life. I say there is a subject and objective truth to all things.

Jaguar

If people could learn to take solace in the fact that there is not meaning to life and that we can't solve or learn everything, the could free their minds from their restraints.

You have no vision.

ComplexMango

MBTI Type
ENTJ
But it is a lot like the euphemism for it, in the Matrix Trilogy, some people are not ready, and will die trying to protect their fake world.

I can relate to your post mango, but my margin would be just the 0.5,
because I believe anything can be reasoned except those unforeseeable situations where only action you can take is action itself.

For some reason, the same nihilism seems to exist elsewhere on this forum, as well as on INTPCentral.

I disagree.

Cogito ergo sum - I think therefore I am. Whether or not I am in a 'Matrix' world, I still am. I make the decisions in my life - nobody controls my judgment other than me. I also know that I like to be happy. Hence, I am motivated to actions/ behaviors/ values that maximize my happiness.

Hence the meaning of life is maximizing lasting happiness - i.e. not just spikes of joy, but a high overall level of wellbeing, that ideally increases continually through my life.

For example, I reject drugs, drunkenness etc. because I know those do not create lasting happiness - more often than not, they are a way to escape reality. I find that a prerequisite for lasting happiness is embracing, understanding and eventually controlling reality. Avoiding reality, self-delusion, self-destruction can only reduce happiness. Building healthy, deep realtionships based on confidence and admiration increases my lasting happiness. Enjoyable work that has meaning to me also increases my lasting happiness etc. Taking any action I am not proud of reduces my lasting happiness.

It would be the same plugged into the Matrix, as well as unplugged.

The implication is that whether I am in a 'Matrix' world or not, the meaning of my life doesn't change - all that external reality can change is the way in which I achieve lasting happiness.

Does anybody see what I mean?

redacted

I'm curious as to how you would defend the bolded point. What does "must be dealt with" actually mean? This actually seems to go directly against your earlier point about diversity. Should we only allow the combination of genetics and psychology to reign free if consistent with our own personal values (that homosexuality is a "problem")? Or should we allow for specialization to occur naturally? As you said before, specialization is key for our society.

I do not agree with religion or how it has been used. However, it is necessary in the time we live in. For the citizens of the world who are not as enlightened as some of the rest of us, religion is the only thing stopping them from tearing this planet apart. Religion is the single best deterrent to crime (as an ENTJ you probably realized this trend long ago). The laws that we follow in most of the advanced countries of the world stem from religious laws. I would agree that the major laws are good and worth following.

I think I agree with what you're trying to say, but I just wanted to point out that it's quite a slippery slope here, because religion expects blind faith, which pretty much directly opposes profit-maximization. For the economy's efficiency to peak, every member of society should constantly be doing cost/benefit analysis for each decision they make (and the government's job is to tax negative externalities and subsidize positive ones). Religion takes analysis out of the picture, which means total production is below its peak level.

Religion gives us the ideas of "Right and Wrong." Right and wrong for the most part keep people from becoming criminals, not necessarily laws. A mixture religion with a proper grasp of science would be optimal for society.

I strongly disagree that religion gives us the ideas of right and wrong. I think "right" and "wrong" are manifestations of social evolution -- humans are more fit if they are able to engage in trade with other humans, therefore some amount of conformity is necessary. When we get the intuition that something is "wrong", what that really means is that it negatively affects our standing in society, reducing the cost effectiveness of our trades. Something "good" just means that it positively influenced our social standing. The fact that we all have personal moral sets is just a side effect of the evolution of these mechanisms (the ones that make us avoid "bad" and pursue "good").

I agree. Emotions are quite necessary for efficient functioning. The amygdala is a structure in the brain that encodes more memory for strong emotion situations than non-emotion situations. This is a good mechanism for keeping memory search efficient.

In conclusion:

There is a limit to the above statement, though. There can't be so much diversity that people are reluctant to trade with each other (in fact, there probably already is too much now...we should probably focus on education about diversity first before actually diversifying more).

I disagree. I think education is much more likely to save us from "destroying our planet". Again, religion opposes a certain kind of rationality, which leads to less efficient trade situations.

Keeping emotions to a minimum seems like the wrong message to send. I'd instead say, keep goal-maximization as a higher priority than emotions. I nitpick here because I think emotions help a lot to clue us into what our actual goals are. Spending a little time figuring out the goals is well worth it -- maximizing a pointless goal is, well, pointless.

Agree. It's really no problem. Same idea as someone deciding not to have children. Doesn't affect society negatively at all besides the no children thing (which plenty of straight people do).

You can't really prove that there is no meaning to life. I say there is a subject and objective truth to all things.

You have no vision.

Saying "there is no meaning" really means, there is no one meaning of life. From a step-back perspective, there is no reason to believe there is some kind of higher purpose or whatever. We're just tiny gears in some giant complex machine that we aren't even close to understanding. The way I personally resolve this is to say, "Fuck it, there is no set of rules that objectively matters. The rules are what you physically can and cannot do. But I have feelings, and I want them to be good. Therefore maximizing my happiness seems like the best bet. And in order to maximize my happiness, I have to build good relationships with people (to get good trading partners) and have people like me. So I have to be nice, but not to the point that it contradicts my goals, etc."

Anyways, I think I'm just as "moral" or whatever as anyone else. You don't need religion or anything.

Jaguar

Saying "there is no meaning" really means, there is no one meaning of life.

There are an infinite number of possible meanings to life; conscious and unconscious.
We cannot know them all.
Of those infinite number of possible meanings,
any person could claim there is but only one meaning of life, to them.
Or someone could claim there is no meaning at all.
That implies there is no single meaning, or any meaning.

There is no right or wrong answer here, there is only opinion.
That said, I stand by my original opinion:
Lucifer has no vision.

As for organized religion--
I can think of nothing more destructive to the human race.
It does not unite.
It divides.

redacted

There are an infinite number of possible meanings to life; conscious and unconscious.
We cannot know them all.

Lucifer has no vision.

It does not unite.
It divides.

Lucifer said "If people could learn to take solace in the fact that there is not meaning to life and that we can't solve or learn everything, the could free their minds from their restraints."

What's wrong with that statement?

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Saying "there is no meaning" really means, there is no one meaning of life. From a step-back perspective, there is no reason to believe there is some kind of higher purpose or whatever. We're just tiny gears in some giant complex machine that we aren't even close to understanding. The way I personally resolve this is to say, "Fuck it, there is no set of rules that objectively matters. The rules are what you physically can and cannot do. But I have feelings, and I want them to be good. Therefore maximizing my happiness seems like the best bet. And in order to maximize my happiness, I have to build good relationships with people (to get good trading partners) and have people like me. So I have to be nice, but not to the point that it contradicts my goals, etc."

Anyways, I think I'm just as "moral" or whatever as anyone else. You don't need religion or anything.

This is exactly what I meant, I didn't realize I needed to articulate it more, bu Evan has done it to a "T".

We cannot know them all.

Lucifer has no vision.

It does not unite.
It divides.

The meaning of life is subjective, to everyone, because there is no greater and/or singular meaning. Since there is no single meaning or proven meaning, that also shows that it is subjective because people must guess or deduce the meaning to their existence themselves, as Evan has above, and hence giving himself his own purpose and freeing himself.

That is what makes religion so dangerous, it tells everyone a singular meaning, that is false. It binds people together under a fake banner and does things in its name.