• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ever Wondered why ISTPs can seem similar to us?

Chilichimichanga

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have always found the ISTPs I meet to be pretty similar to us superficially at least, I've always wondered why. I mean I like to get my hands dirty and to find out how stuff works but still wondering how this is possible
I even tested ISTP twice :mellow:

AGameOfChance

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTPs tend to reduce me to a stammering idiot.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tend to be the most confused with ISTJ types :shrug: the underlying processes are so radically different though we just look similiar on the outside. Our internal processes are light and day different.

If "us" is ENTP like your type indicates...i have no idea what your talking about. Not similiar much at all. The inferior Sii vs tertiary Ni is a stark contrast.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have always found the ISTPs I meet to be pretty similar to us superficially at least, I've always wondered why. I mean I like to get my hands dirty and to find out how stuff works but still wondering how this is possible
I even tested ISTP twice :mellow:

In what ways do you see similarities?

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
In what ways do you see similarities?

both can see themselves as rational individuals, even though they are not in real life. they really look similar if they are kind of enneagram 5s, and maybe 7s, 5s make them seem more mystical and sevends, you get the rest

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
both can see themselves as rational individuals, even though they are not in real life. they really look similar if they are kind of enneagram 5s, and maybe 7s, 5s make them seem more mystical and sevends, you get the rest
Most are pretty rational that i know. T/F are rational functions and they are our dominant functions :shrug: N/S are the irrational functions. We need both in society as rational doesnt always help. Sometimes irrational is good and provides a method to learn above and beyond just being rational.

Maybe the OP is irrationally choosing ISTP answers as well as other irrational people :laugh:

Chilichimichanga

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well first of all thanks for the replies

maybe I'm more pragmatic then most ENTPs I see online and meet in real life. I do like theory but unless its going to have some pratical use don't discuss it with people. People talking for hours and hours about their problems eventually gets on my nerves and I just go tell them to do XYZ to get it sorted. I talk a lot but I get really pissed off when people are all talk and no do, sometimes I fear I can only talk and do nothing too. Emotional talk gets on my nerves.

But the main thing is I like to get stuff done rather than keep complaining or talking about how stuff could be. I'm more of "well it could be like this but unfortunately it isn't so right now, so just go make it that way don't tell me how it should or shouldn't be, just go do it"

so from all the ISTPs I know I came to see the similarities between me and them:-
-generally don't like to complain a lot just go solve the problem
-don't like theory unless it has some practical use or goes against the facts in my head
-don't like whiny people a lot
-would rather get things done than discuss them for hours and hours and hours and not do anything about it( I can still discuss them for an hour though lol)
-don't like overly emotional people, drama or people who aren't honest
-Somewhat private about their personal matters (ISTPs definitely more), feelings both
-Rational, cool headed and generally laid back

so I just wanted to know if other ENTPs and ISTPs feel the same and if so do you think its got to do with Ti or the functional arrangement somehow???

mono

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All Ti types have kind of a similar vibe? ISTPs tend to be a lot more "Fe shy" than ENTPs or ESTPs. Meaning they either overdo it or don't do it at all, either trying to hard, especially around strangers,or being douchebags. They also have that Se cockiness about silly things, like their tastes in music, food, ect. The cockiness levels vary, of course. They're cool for chill Ti back and forth, but I totally can't imagine an STP reducing me to a stammering idiot. The opposite is more accurate, particularly when they realise I have Ti but I'm also socially and emotionally expressive.
I would hardly call us similar, unless the person judging that is far too different functionally, and sees only the Ti.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ISTP similiar to me?

hahahahahahahahahaha xD

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Yes they're different...

Probably similarities arises when someone had a balance of sensing and intuition.

Intp girl vs istp girl
I know.

Intp girl: no boyfriend xD she's actually pretty but she's just a total nerd. XD that Ne is very high. Ti and lots of Ne... XD she's a geek about some stuffs

Istp girl: unlike intp, they're more harsh in giving comments.. Although intp is also harsh, but istp is harsher because they're part Se. XD they notice a lot more. The istp i know doesn't Care when she comments about something.. Like when she said it's ugly.. It's really ugly without even considering someone's feelings.. But it's just funny for me.. Because no one can say that fact but her. XD
Then in relationship she gets into relationship more. Unlike intp, she more looks like a lesbian, but she's not a lesbian.. She's tough looking but she also has soft side. She just doesn't show it. XD
Oh i miss my istp girl friend. She's actually nice. Dang. I like her because she's also open about dirty jokes. XD yes.. One thing i distinguished also between istp and intp.. Istp is more open about dirty jokes.
Now I'm actually thinking if the intp girl i know have borderline intp/infp.. But i kinda not getting closer with the intp.. Because sometimes i actually approach her but then after.. Hmm. I don't know, it doesn't seem natural xD like i think she's not that comfortable with me i guess..
Just like my ex intp bf before.. We really aren't very close like we're just 2nd degree friends.. But not the friend that will be closed to you?
Like the istp friend likes me to the point i don't always intiate the friendship unlike the intp, i feel like i always do the intiation and it's like i consider her as a friend but she doesn't seem consider me as one.. :/

That's my experience with istp and intp girl

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ISTPs tend to reduce me to a stammering idiot.

Yeah, ISTPs want a lot of detailed explanations. They can't just take the idea. Oh well, their loss. :p

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing that I've seen in common between ISTPs and ENTPs is that they enjoy arguing different sides of the same subject, but really any type is capable of that, if they're willing.
Me, I'm much less likely to argue or debate anything. Certainly I enjoy having a conversation in which different possibilities are considered, but yeah take a look at my tritype, if it gets intense, let's change the subject.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't think they're similar, but they can make a great team: