• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Debate = Good?

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some people don't really react well to having their basic premises challenged, however politely you happen to do it.

I actually find this to be very true within the MBTI community when debating typology. Some in the community are more dogmatic about it than they'd like to admit.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I actually find this to be very true within the MBTI community when debating typology. Some in the community are more dogmatic about it than they'd like to admit.

Yeah, it's a goofy thing to take too seriously, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't guilty of it in the past.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I like debate. As long the debate is about a SUBJECT BESIDES THE OTHER PERSON ARGUING.

Too often that happens and what could have been a good discussion turns into a shit show where things are more about dominating/winning- than sharing ideas.

If it gets to that point- where the subject is forgotten- where 'low' tactics are used- then Im done.

I hate when thinfs get to that point but they do SO SO often. It turns something that could have been great into something that feels... gross.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I love debate when its framed more as a conversation than a debate in which one tries to trump the other in order to win some bullshit contest. Fairly often people argue their agenda and dont try to engage in debate and dialogue with the other person/people in the debate which is not the point of a debate (Unless your running for office or something important :)). Its like hmm people dont wanna fuse their dishes but stick to their own national dishes despite the fact that combining dishes may bring something far superior and better.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like more civil debates irl, and vicious arguments online.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I like cage match style debates where anything goes. Listening to people strain to be civil for the sake of pretending like they're going to change anyone's mind is both annoying to listen to and a waste of effort with all the time spent dropping qualifiers.

A good example of what I consider a perfect debate is the one between Bill the Butcher and the Irish guy with the club, on the front steps of his office.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i enjoy debate when several (but not necessarily all) of the following apply:

-neither party is emotionally attatched to their opinion
- the other party is willing to entertain my points, rather than seeing them as a chance to formulate a counterargument...
-the other party is cocky and easily proven wrong
-i am interested in exploring the subject at hand
-i feel the need to display my abilities to think critically
-the debate concerns abstract concepts that are ethical/spiritual/philosophical/theoretical in nature...
-i am presenting an argument i don't agree with
-it is a one on one event

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Nopes. I enjoyed debate when i was a teenager. I feel like I'm an entp that time..
But now, i don't enjoy it that much because it leads to nowhere.
I would rather teach someone something rather than argue that my ideas are better. Because i find it useless especially with someone who are close minded. XD
Part of not giving a fuck already because there's something else more important to do rather than proving you're right and the other is not. Waste of time

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Straylight

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Argumentation is essential to the development of new ideas. What isn't needed is people's feelings when I correct them or they correct me.

People get emotional when you correct them for many reasons, the biggest one being a fear of looking incompetent in front of others. So they try to save face by defending their position and endlessly grasping at straws, or taking it personally. The further they commit, the more incompetent they look and so the feeling is recursive, reinforcing itself with every additional statement.

A way to break this chain is to simply lose with grace. Learn how to lose.

Look at is as a sunk-cost. As soon as you commit yourself to an opinion about anything, you've already invested yourself into it. That money is already spent. The more you defend your opinion, the more money you're investing into it trying to make it "worth it", but it just keeps inflating and sucking you in further.

Recognize this and just stop. Let people make fun of you. Let them jab at you. Just accept that you look bad, because you do look bad. Instead of trying to not look bad by denying that you look bad, just make a stronger effort to not make the mistake in the first place in the future. Focus on the process you went through to formulate your opinion and find out where the error was and then make it a point to remember that you have this weakness next time you think about anything.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Debating is necessary for new ideas, new perspectives. It's a pity most can't remove their personal self from it and treat the ideas as just ideas.

It seems like debating is out of fashion. The new way is to take a polarized position and attempt to ridicule your opponent in the most demeaning and bombastic fashion possible. Conceding points is for people with a certain mental flexibility and willingness to accept differing opinions. Yuck!

If that doesn't work claim they're offending your very delicate mental state which apparently words alone can crush like an Abrams tank crushes a MINI cooper. Between the yelling over one another and silencing through mob shaming we can learn and grow as people!

Too much sarcasm?

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's great and I enjoy a solid debate. However it's difficult to have a fair debate nowadays when most people get sensitive and snippy when their egos get in the way.

rav3n

If new information is brought to the table which translates to greater learning through research, bring it on. But I'm presently burned out on dumb circular debating.