• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INFP male in relationship with INTP female

Ariz

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm feel I'm a split INFP / INTP male (more towards INFP). What I mean by this is that over the years as I've taken the test my result keeps fluctuating between the two. I find it difficult to relate to full on INFP people due to how irrationally emotional they are, yet at the same time I find it frustrating how emotionally uninvolved INTPs are.

Anyway, I'm getting into a relationship with a female that is dead-on INTP. What are the things I should be prepared for?
Things I have learned so far:

-No small talk
-Give her space and time to withdraw into her world
-Don't talk about her emotions while she's experiencing them
-She doesn't need to show as much affection as I do (she is also more independant than I am)
-I should not take it personally if she cannot provide emotional support I'm looking for
-Emotional affections should be kept to a minimum

It's interesting learning about her rationale, but at times I just feel baffled when she can seem very cold/distant without a reason. Any other tips for this kind of relationship are very welcome. :)

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm feel I'm a split INFP / INTP male (more towards INFP). What I mean by this is that over the years as I've taken the test my result keeps fluctuating between the two. I find it difficult to relate to full on INFP people due to how irrationally emotional they are, yet at the same time I find it frustrating how emotionally uninvolved INTPs are.

Anyway, I'm getting into a relationship with a female that is dead-on INTP. What are the things I should be prepared for?
Things I have learned so far:

-No small talk

less small talk is good, none may grind on you... even in small talk, intp's have a way of finding something more substantial to talk about if you are open to it...

Public emotional affections should be kept at a minimum to be sure... as for expressing affection in the appropriate setting, i think most intp's enjoy that... maybe not while trying to complete a project, but there are plenty of appropriate times... making expressions of affection playful is something i think many intp appreciate...

preparing for your partner to need time for decision making would be good... it is good to phrase your needs as requests instead of demands... this means both in the wording, and in the tone of voice... intp's dislike being "told" what to do (as do most other types)... when explaining your needs it helps to do so in depth... saying something like "it makes me upset when you do X, can you stop" is less efficient than explaining the reasons it makes you upset...

the content in spoiler tags is from this
www.oddlydevelopedtypes.com/files/The Secret Lives of INTPs.pdf

these are the best three links for intp information that i am aware of...

An INTP Profile
INTP - The INTP Experience
INTPs in Love | Oddly Developed Types

unconnectedmind

MBTI Type
INFP
Never judge her ideas. No matter how strange they may be. Don't worry, she won't actually try to build a time machine and travel to the year 3421 where humans are extinct and she can converse with their replacement species for the rest of her life about subjects no one has ever thought of before.

Always listen to her ideas. She feels better when she has someone to share all the unusual things with that occur to her.

She has inferior extroverted feeling, so she has the same emotional pitfalls as an INFJ with even less self-awareness about them. Have fun with that because it's not fun at all.

Basically, you have to reassure her of your care for her with physical touch and/or loving words every couple of hours or she will gradually forget you exist or begin distrusting you. As long as you don't take any of it personally, she will reward you with incredible moments of intensity and vulnerability.

Her inferior extroverted feeling can be incredibly infantile. Be ready for that, and remember that she just wants to be reassured.

Remember, she appreciates you and likes you, but all she really wants is the freedom to explore the world and her own mind through experiment and private meditation. She will come to rely on you more and more to provide her the security to do that.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
-No small talk
-Give her space and time to withdraw into her world
-Don't talk about her emotions while she's experiencing them
-She doesn't need to show as much affection as I do (she is also more independant than I am)
-I should not take it personally if she cannot provide emotional support I'm looking for
INTPs have inferior Fe, which isn't very high in their preferences and accounts for what often looks like a lack of emotion, detachment, distance, etc. Like everyone, though, INTPs do have emotions and with Fe rather than Fi they will not be as internalized as, say, in an INTJ. This means that you can in fact expect emotional support and affection from her, but it might not look like what you are used to, or what you provide to her. It is more likely to come out in actions and ways of being (e.g. jus being comfortable together with you in silence, each doing your own thing) than in words, hugs, or more overt signs. Do you know what your love languages are? My longtime SO is INTP and often expresses affection physically, as well as in doing thoughtful things for me that it didn't even occur to me to need, but I appreciate. Then again, I suspect my needs in this area are notably different from yours.

Bottom line: If you each learn to be open to affection and emotional closeness in unfamiliar ways, it should go far in supporting your relationship.