• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and the role in economy, law and politics

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
If I were to pick a field?

Economics >>>>>> Law >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Politics

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Economics + math + Poli &/or Social Science (non profit orgs etc).

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I have a BS in Economics, and I have just started my MS. I do think that the more rigorous part of microeconomics (macroeconomics is not very useful IMHO) appeals to NTs quite a lot; in fact, the great majority of my professors are INTPs and ENTJs.

Most people don't realize the vastity of the discipline. You have economic history, environmental economics, mathematical economics, econphysics, empirical approaches, game theory. There's space for every type of particular fixation towards a specific discipline.
I think that the way economics is taught in non-economics courses is often not particularly brillant and rather boring: often it's Business that has the priority over pure economcs.

I think the highest intrest a NT could have in life, is the acqusition of knowledge, truth and new insights into the world. Guess the acquisition of money is accepted as an inherent necessity to survive by every NT, but it will never become the main focus of intrests for all time in the NT's life.

You're confusing economics with business here. Business is usually centered upon the best methods for acquiring money, whereas economics (would like to be) is more concerned about the whole economic system: how it works, what can be done to make it work better and eliminate poverty, how do different type of taxes influence consumer behavior, etc. etc.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
That is pretty intresting though. Most of the few NTs I know from my surroundings are into the sciences, nearly know no one from law or economics.

Most of the people I know from my economics lessons in their building suck big time. There are in their 1st semester and already think of themselves as the richest man of the world, while I struggle with my lessons in thermodynamics or fluid dynamics :D.

Pretty intresting though, maybe I have a wrong stereotypical view of the NT and do not recognize that a lot of them are here at my university in law and economics, too or they just are not.

I would say, according to my networking site, I know 64 people in my university in person. There are approximately 15 in science and I would type around 5 of them to be a NT.

37 I know, who are in some field of economics. I know about 10 of them in person and I would type 0 NT.

That makes a good idea for a new project. Watching people and finding out about possible NT-ness :D

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Who is studying here in the forum economics, law or politology and how are you satisfied with your choice?
Which field of these 3 fits best for a NT?? Which field of law fits best and which field of economy for a intuitive Thinker??

My degrees are in math, but if I had to pick one of these three it would be economics.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
entropie, that probably has a lot to do with the fact that "People have no grasp of what they do." Their SJ mom tells them they should be a scientist because they're so smart, etc., and as stated, people equate Econ with Business, which it's not. You know the drill.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
That is pretty intresting though. Most of the few NTs I know from my surroundings are into the sciences, nearly know no one from law or economics.

I am still interested in sciences, mind you, of every kind. However, my economic background is lower middle class; this means that I had to take into account in my decision on what I should major in of: the ease of finding an unrelated job if I were to have financial problems, and the ease of obtaining a scolarship, which is comparatively less difficult in a field where brillant students are generally less present (as opposed to the sciences).

Most of the people I know from my economics lessons in their building suck big time. There are in their 1st semester and already think of themselves as the richest man of the world, while I struggle with my lessons in thermodynamics or fluid dynamics :D.

Eheh, I actually think that you're confusing Business with Economics. The former tends to attract the people you're speaking about - those focusses on becoming the richest man of the world - whereas the latter usually is preferred by more scientifically-minded idiots. My school offers both Economics and Business Courses, and rarely I had to attend a class that was in common between the two (basic calculus, for example): the scenery was very similar to the one you describe, and I know perfectly what you mean.

Pretty intresting though, maybe I have a wrong stereotypical view of the NT and do not recognize that a lot of them are here at my university in law and economics, too or they just are not.

I'm not sure that law attracts NTs as much as economics. Many ISTJs seem to be present in the law department of my university, for example. And, to be completely fair, even if most of my professors - and most people that have innovative, good solutions and models - are NTs, many of my classmates are not - there's 5 ISTJs, 2 ENFJs, 2 INFPs, 1 ESTP, 2 ISFJs, 1 INTP and 2 ENTJs (one of them it's me). So it's 3 out of 15.

ENTP2L

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm in my second year of law school, and while it's a ton of work, I do enjoy it. My undergrad degree was in political science (I also really enjoyed that as well).