• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Top Three Reasons For Why INTs Suck

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know we should be ranting but...

1 - Intimidating
so true yet I masochistically find it so hot :blush:

2 - Don't care if they hurt one's feelings
I'm actually getting tired of having my feelings spared...

3 - No warm fuzzies
... I always thought that was reserved for special occasions :devil: (the remainder of my comment on this would probably belong in the Mature section...)

Schizm

MBTI Type
INTP
I've come out INTP on some MBTI-like tests, but I definitely do not lack follow-through.

In fact, this trait is the number one reason I haven't self-identified as an INTP. I like being pracitical, and making things happen in the real world. But, I love theory more so than almost every one I've met.

It has been often said, "There is nothing more practical than a good theory."

I cant rest until things are completed. Then I want to go back and change them .

Schizm

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm hurt that we are seen as arrogant. I don't think that's a fair judgement. Above poster notwithstanding.[/QUOTE]

I see it as a useful tool. A lot of the time, I think people who throw the word "arrogant" around a lot are getting pushed around. Forget being walked on by some other mortal.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hard nut to crack

I dont' know if I know any INTJ's, but I do have close INTP friends. They have some similarities but their biggest difference is their confidence levels which really defines how developed their functions are and how it's expressed.

These aren't 'sucky' things but more like personal observations that play into the 'evil cold' stereotype of INTPs. Which is funny because my INTP friends are so generous and well-mannered and are wonderful friends. They are both really silly once you befriend them. I actually gloat a little inside that I get the privelege of all the benes of their affection and friendship -- because it's tough to befriend them! They aren't that superficial in their friendships.

1)What I have noticed is that both can be 'mis'typed as being 'extremely quiet' or even cold by coworkers or those who dont' know them as well. One INTP friend fits the cold, kinda badass and intimidating stereotype on the surface. My other INTP friend does not come off as cold, the opposite, but has real trouble verbalizing her thoughts quickly with new people and groups. One of my INTP friends has NO PROBLEM cutting off people once they cross a line with her and can be really abrupt in general (on the phone, in conversation, etc.) For both, their honesty is sometimes too blunt. My other INTP friend sometimes offers random and frankly mean assessments of things that are not really solicited.

2) They are really hard to get to know initially. One friend I pursued mercilessly and the other friend kind of pursued me. Otherwise, without this constant push of effort, friendship would have never happened. Either they DO NOT TALK or else are just really hard for me to figure out and understand initially. Honestly, I have no idea what they see in me, but apparently I provide the warm fuzzies. Hahahahaa.

warick

MBTI Type
INTJ
1 - Intimidating
2 - Don't care if they hurt one's feelings
3 - No warm fuzzies

You're on the wrong thread, that should be on the list of why INT's are so awesome.

Luke

MBTI Type
INTX
What's wrong with INT?

1. Not social enough.
2. Not practical enough.
3. Not sensitive enough.

Just ask any ESF.

Quest

INTJ Woman

Dismissing someone out of hand, no insult, no explanation, is passive aggressive? That I don't hold with. If someone is not worth my time then they're not worth the time it takes to tell them that, and I don't.

I spend no time on dumb, ignorant, or manipulative people. That is not passive aggressive, its economical. Being an INTJ is a great BS filter,the very best friends make it thru that filter: smart, traveled, accomplished, and appreciative of strong character.

An INTJ never betrayed another human or listened to a cute pet story. Both would be crimes against humanity.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I am an ISFJ (with strong N leanings). My husband is an INTP. He is kind, supportive, patient, and loving to me, our kids and our dog. He's also
a wonderful cook, which is great, as we all benefit from his fantastic meals.

On the other hand, he's something of a kitchen bully - no one can do things as well as he can in the kitchen. He's quite proud of his ability and friends rave about his food. However, it's hard on the rest of us, who can't do things in the kitchen without comments, suggestions or constructive criticism.

He also has no filter on yucky topics and has to be reminded again and again
that I don't want to hear about blood, disgusting crimes or operations at the
dinner table. To him it's just information. Recently, he tried to discuss who was worse, Hitler or Stalin - both killed their own people, but Hitler treated the Jews like vermin, not like people. This is mealtime conversation?

And like other NTs, he has a serious inability to apologize.

So, why do NTs suck?

1) They are know it alls and proud of it.

2) They lack sensitivity.

3) They can't admit their mistakes.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am an ISFJ (with strong N leanings). My husband is an INTP. He is kind, supportive, patient, and loving to me, our kids and our dog. He's also
a wonderful cook, which is great, as we all benefit from his fantastic meals.

On the other hand, he's something of a kitchen bully - no one can do things as well as he can in the kitchen. He's quite proud of his ability and friends rave about his food. However, it's hard on the rest of us, who can't do things in the kitchen without comments, suggestions or constructive criticism.

dinner table.
To him it's just information. Recently, he tried to discuss who was worse, Hitler or Stalin - both killed their own people, but Hitler treated the Jews like vermin, not like people. This is mealtime conversation?

And like other NTs, he has a serious inability to apologize.

So, why do NTs suck?

1) They are know it alls and proud of it.

2) They lack sensitivity.

3) They can't admit their mistakes.

I'm laughing in horror over here. Yikes!

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
.He also has no filter on yucky topics and has to be reminded again and again
dinner table. To him it's just information. Recently, he tried to discuss who was worse, Hitler or Stalin - both killed their own people, but Hitler treated the Jews like vermin, not like people. This is mealtime conversation?
What's wrong with discussing such things? Actually, the only person I know who's really disturbed by such is an ISFJ. Pretty much everyone else is ok-especially my brothers.

I don't mind discussing death. Perhaps it's too familiar to me.

Oh, and I've been told I apologize too much. :hug:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Case in point: I know an ISFJ who was in forensics and could poke at a dead body while eating a sandwich. She has a cast iron stomach.

I think the problem stated above was not the subject matter so much as when the topic arose -- dinner. That's inappropriate. He can logically control himself long enough to refrain from such discourse until everyone is done eating. Imposing unwanted conversation on the people he's chosen for company (i.e. his family) is unacceptable. Hence, the horrified laughing. It doesn't matter if it's about fluffy bunnies or chainsaw murders. If fluffy bunnies offend the people you've chosen to associate with, then no fluffy bunnies.

No doubt his forensic mind is appreciated the rest of the time. :yes:

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think the problem stated above was not the subject matter so much as when the topic arose -- dinner. That's inappropriate. He can logically control himself long enough to refrain from such discourse until everyone is done eating. Imposing unwanted conversation on the people he's chosen for company (i.e. his family) is unacceptable. Hence, the horrified laughing. It doesn't matter if it's about fluffy bunnies or chainsaw murders. If fluffy bunnies offend the people you've chosen to associate with, then no fluffy bunnies.
Why? :huh:

Most of the people I know who are easily offended by such seem to be trying to delude themselves into pretending it doesn't exist. (No offense intended). But I prefer not to have people for company who are that easily offended. Then my honesty is inherently a problem with them.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Could it be that your honesty (which is great thing) could be bridled in a temporary fashion for when you're in company? It's not about not being truthful. It's about being uncouth. Social mores DO count, do carry weight, do hold back or promote a person, so it's important to consider that. Saying that it doesn't matter would be naive. One of your best assets, your honesty, would quickly be perceived as too blunt or boorish, and that defeats the purpose of making yourself understood (that's the point of conversation with anyone -- making yourself understood and exchanging ideas, not compelling others INTO a thought they don't want to have.)

Certainly you have friends who don't care about blood and guts at the table, and these are the people you're most comfortable with, but many people do care (or even if it was a small minority) it doesn't hurt to control yourself for an hour or two, at least until you can exit their presence. Making allowances for others is just that. An allowance. Not a permanent drastic imposition on your way of life. I don't discuss certain things with certain people because I care about them and I know that some topics will disturb them, not because I'm pussyfooting around their fragile glass-like egos. Brittle people are a hassle, but family/friends, not so.

Johnny Rotten, one of my favorite people, even said himself that there are times when he's said things that he felt were true, but were scathing, inappropriate or just flat-out acid. He says his wife has been a great tempering force on his outspoken nature. Is he any less Johnny? Not at all. And no doubt he hangs around people that allow for him to be what he is -- a loudmouthed acerbic punk.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
In response to your last reply, yes, the forensic mind is appreciated. He
also has a gift for staying calm which is wonderful.
I relate well to NTPs in general, having a husband, son, close friend and a boss of 22 years who fit that description. This forum is excellent and I've already benefited from being on it. I look forward to more type talk from the NTs and NFs. Although my type is ISFJ, I find myself nearer to NF typology as time goes on, and enjoy exploring writing and other forms of self-expression, intuition, spirituality and meditation.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

On the kitchen bullying part -- OMG, is this an NT thing?? That makes so much sense now...I have 2 NT friends and between the two, they fill the requirements of being a good cook AND a cooking bully (1 is a good cook, 1 is a kitchen bully, it actually drives other people nuts)

On the second part -- HAHAHAHAHAH. Actually, I do discuss 'heavy topics' things like this including at dinner but only with people want to discuss them. And not usually about things like genocide, war, or murder or other violent crimes (not my cup o' tea) but once in a while I DO discuss things like strange diseases and graphic surgeries that I've seen on Discovery Health Channel. Actually, scratch that, I try to and when people start screaming and make faces and yell at me to stop.

And I'm not even NT. LOL.

PinkPiranha, I swear I don't do this in new company and otherwise I make a great dinner guest. :yes: My friends sometimes like the disease/surgery topic at hand over a meal, and sometimes...no.

My ISTJ friend said when I stayed with her sometimes she would just peek in to see what I was watching on TV and it was some 'gross surgery show' on TLC and she couldn't watch it with me.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Jae Rae, I know this isn't your intro thread, but I just have to say: Welcome! :bye:

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I was only being semi-serious, PinkPirahna. :hug: But good points. I'm just too used to having to fake things around most people-if I say something "sucks" they'll act like I sacrificed a virgin.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
PinkPiranha, I swear I don't do this in new company and otherwise I make a great dinner guest. :yes:

*shakes a shame-on-you finger in your direction* LOL!! :D

I was only being semi-serious, PinkPirahna. :hug: But good points. I'm just too used to having to fake things around most people-if I say something "sucks" they'll act like I sacrificed a virgin.

Oh I know, I was trying to perhaps, in my rambling ENFJ manner, make unpleasant stifling social moments for you a bit easier? My INTJ and ENTJ get SO annoyed with having to check everything they're thinking and saying for the sake of others, so I get it. It's a struggle for me too sometimes. (I march into my room, slam the door and bellow every last profanity-laced eyebrow-searing un-PC thing rattling around in my head until I feel calmer. LOL!)

Sacrificing virgins is absolutely good table talk! :yes: I like to roll 'em right into the volcano! All that screaming gets the ol' blood goin' in the morning!! :D

DaRick

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, since INTP's and INTJ's are different, I will decry both types individually: ;)

INTJ
1) Remote and withdrawn
2) Reluctant or unable to praise the efforts of others
3) Rarely admit that they have flaws

INTP
1) Poorly organised
2) Can provide 'empty compliments' (i.e - insincere compliments)
3) Can 'backstab' without realising the emotional consequences for their victim

These are just my personal experiences. Sorry if I have offended anybody.