• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Top Three Reasons For Why INTs Suck

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Actually, what usually happened is that the Feeler hones in on the word "wasted" (see my quote) that I let slip out in frustration -- "What do you mean WASTING your time??? You consider this marriage/friendship to be WASTING your time? Why did you ever marry/befriend me if you just thought you were WASTING your life!!!!!??? I hate you! Go away! I don't know why I thought I could ever talk to you about the things that matter to me!"

Grrrrrr.....

which leads to:
#5 Reason. Typecast as the RB/HB [Ruthless Bastard / Heartless Bitch].
Sorry but I have to disagree there. That's a reason why everyone else sucks when dealing with INTs. See now I didn't notice a single problem with your rant because I read it in context of you being annoyed. This is an NT thing and something that most if not all people miss, except those familiar with it. Honestly that wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest. In fact I'd probably stop being pissed at you instantly at that and cheer up.

Funny how people can read sarcasm but only if you do it in a sarcastic tone. Oh and is being sardonic "sardony"?

Hmm divergance again. Damn your plague today!!

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
Jennifer said:
Let's see if the NFs play along, though, before we get too excited about it.
I do want to play along but you all sent a Noob to do the job:devil: . Where is MacGuffin when you need him?!?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry but I have to disagree there.

Disagree with what? That Feelers tend to respond that way? :huh:

See now I didn't notice a single problem with your rant because I read it in context of you being annoyed. This is an NT thing and something that most if not all people miss, except those familiar with it. Honestly that wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest. In fact I'd probably stop being pissed at you instantly at that and cheer up.

Good. Because that's what it would have been. :D

Funny how people can read sarcasm but only if you do it in a sarcastic tone.

I know, I know... I have to stop the "dry sarcasm" around people who aren't expecting it. Sometimes they take me straight-forward and then get ticked, where I was just joking or being whimsical.

Oh and is being sardonic "sardony"?

To quote that world-renown sage Madonna, "It makes my bottom hurt just by thinking about it."

Hmm divergance again. Damn your plague today!!
:D

Sorry, Charlie, I think you're the common link here!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Disagree with what? That Feelers tend to respond that way? :huh:
NO..that its a reason why NTs suck..
Good. Because that's what it would have been. :D
Exactly so it's more to do with others suckage than with your own.. capisce.
I know, I know... I have to stop the "dry sarcasm" around people who aren't expecting it. Sometimes they take me straight-forward and then get ticked, where I was just joking or being whimsical.
You should see some of the people I know. They are now reduced to assuming I'm being sarcastic/ sardonic unless there is evidence to the contrary. It's the only way they survive :smile:
To quote that world-renown sage Madonna, "It makes my bottom hurt just by thinking about it."
Sage? No it's different herbs used in that embalming process. You gotta wonder though when they're going to put the tape over her mouth though. It's gotta be worth a national holiday or six.
:D
Sorry, Charlie, I think you're the common link here!
I need a halti for my brain.... ooo a new sig me thinks. Damn it I've done it again!!! :steam:

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
1. They are often so focused on the discussion and the subtext of the discussion that they completely miss the sub-subtext and the sub-sub-subtext of the discussion. Particular irl face-to-face conversation.

2. They don't actually believe that the faults they are most often accused of (arrogance, coldness, lack of empathy) are genuine faults. In fact, they consider these to be strengths. Thus they typically don't consider their types to have any real weaknesses.

3. They often make terrible parents. The implicit (if not explicit) demand for competence from their offspring undermines the perceived unconditionality of their love, which is bolstered by the famous INT difficulty in expressing affection in direct ways. This is especially damaging to the perceived self-worth of young offspring, and fosters all kinds of insecurity. This might be compensated for if the INT believed that coldness is actually a fault but, alas, they usually don't.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
3. They often make terrible parents. The implicit (if not explicit) demand for competence from their offspring undermines the perceived unconditionality of their love, which is bolstered by the famous INT difficulty in expressing affection in direct ways. This is especially damaging to the perceived self-worth of young offspring, and fosters all kinds of insecurity. This might be compensated for if the INT believed that coldness is actually a fault but, alas, they usually don't.

That's actually something I disagree with. INTPs seem to have a split personality when it comes to kids and families... but it has been shown that for the most part, we make excellent parents. INTJs are a bit more split than INTPs and they can be very vision driven, which makes them a bit worse in certain cases. In both cases, it is the ENTs that seem to have more pressure problems.

(I love #2 though... :D )

Crabapple

MBTI Type
INFJ
What exactly is considered "fluffy fun"?

Well, for instance, a lot of the fun on this board comes from puns and wordplay. That is not "fluffy fun". Fluffy fun is more nonsensical and is emotionally pleasant and humorous.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, for instance, a lot of the fun on this board comes from puns and wordplay. That is not "fluffy fun". Fluffy fun is more nonsensical and is emotionally pleasant and humorous.

What? You don't think wordplay and puns are pleasant and humorous?

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
*stuffs Shimpei in a bag for Uber* ;) This should be interesting.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bunny?

So what is fluffy fun then?

NTs play video games and some read comic books, wouldn't that count as fluffy fun?

Crabapple

MBTI Type
INFJ
Bunny?

So what is fluffy fun then?

NTs play video games and some read comic books, wouldn't that count as fluffy fun?

They are somewhat fluffy, but there's a point, a goal in video games; and to read comics, you have to be able to read.

Making mud pies with kids, and enjoying doing so- now that's fluffy fun! Especially if you dare the kid to taste 'em.

I also enjoy making up Gawd-awful lies to tell my credulous nieces and nephews.:party2:

Have you ever made hats and necklaces of flowers?

And I could see Uberfurher with a fifty lb. bunny that wears a studded collar.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They are somewhat fluffy, but there's a point, a goal in video games; and to read comics, you have to be able to read.

Making mud pies with kids, and enjoying doing so- now that's fluffy fun! Especially if you dare the kid to taste 'em.

I also enjoy making up Gawd-awful lies to tell my credulous nieces and nephews.:party2:

Have you ever made hats and necklaces of flowers?

And I could see Uberfurher with a fifty lb. bunny that wears a studded collar.

I would suspect lying takes a great deal of intellectual capacity. So why is that "fluffy?"

And to make hats and necklaces of flowers, I would suspect you would need to be good with your hands.

And I do have a 6-foot tall bunny right next to me. His name is Harvey!

Crabapple

MBTI Type
INFJ
I would suspect lying takes a great deal of intellectual capacity. So why is that "fluffy?"

And to make hats and necklaces of flowers, I would suspect you would need to be good with your hands.

And I do have a 6-foot tall bunny right next to me. His name is Harvey!

Arrggghhh! I give up! :run:

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
(So they came to their friend as an equal level person and go away feeling preached to or talked down to or suffering the insinuation they weren't smart enough to solve their own problem, when really they just wanted someone to reframe things or tell them they weren't as far off-base as they felt.)

I'm an INTP and generally this is what I want when I vent. My other half is also an INTP and it's taken us a looong time to realise that it's far more productive to listen and empathize, rather get into the solving the problem mentality. The 'solving the problem' thing just makes me feel like I haven't been heard.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
1. They are often so focused on the discussion and the subtext of the discussion that they completely miss the sub-subtext and the sub-sub-subtext of the discussion. Particular irl face-to-face conversation.

LOL (at me). Fair point. Although, I expect I don't even pick up on the subtext of discussions, let alone the sub-subtext or sub-sub-subtext. This is yet another social skill I wish I had, and it's one that it is hard to conciously learn because it's all about the unspoken/implied stuff. I do have a few colleagues at work who analyse out loud what's really happening or what someone really meant and that's been quite eye-opening. But sadly, that hasn't happened often enough for me to have learnt how to do it myself.

2. They don't actually believe that the faults they are most often accused of (arrogance, coldness, lack of empathy) are genuine faults. In fact, they consider these to be strengths. Thus they typically don't consider their types to have any real weaknesses.

That may be true of some INT's but I personally don't fall into this broad generalization ;). Well, I do have the arrogance, coldness and lack of empathy, but I don't consider them to be strengths.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

First, a defense:

What some people may consider to be my "arrogance" is simply a manifestation of my confidence in myself and my abilities. My personal self-confidence isn't steeped in my appearance, my ability to keep up with fashion, my intelligence, or any other such flimsy grounds. My confidence is based on the fact that I have, throughout my life, set and achieved, of my own efforts and planning, difficult goals. If that isn't an acceptable reason to feel good about yourself, then, really, what the hell is?

As for my coldness, the simple fact is this: my personal life-premise is that a life well-lived is a life rich in personal accomplishment. Whether we are aware of it or not, every one of us has such a "life premise" at the root of our decisions, actions, and personalities. I just happen to be quite aware of what my life-premise is and don't delude myself otherwise. To that end, in every situation I enter, I want to use every last brain cycle to assess, as accurately as possible, the situation. I simply can't be bothered to spend valuable brain cycles on worrying about what facial expressions I'm displaying, what my stance says of me, etc. If my life-premise were different, for example, if my life-premise were that a rich life is one filled with love and friendship, then you can bet I would place such things in a higher order of precedence.

Which leads into my next point. Terms such as "arrogant", "cold", and "lacking empathy" are subjective; one man's "arrogant" is another's "confident". One man's "cold" is another man's "calm and collected". Such terms are value-based assessments. And now, because I really don't actually have three things I dislike about NFs in order to join the other thread, I will use this to segue into the only thing that bothers me about them:

They insist upon making value-based assessments (F) even though they should really be clever enough (N) to know better!