• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTJ and INTP Comparison

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Well he better get his ass in here and clear this up.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Very good points that look at the cognitive functions, however the auxiliary function is not always going to be so noticeable due to lack of development and per Berens, the Ni and Ti can appear similar in both having a love for complexity. I think the interaction styles for each will be most apparent. Along with ISTP, ISTJ and INFJ the INTJ will have that contained tension in moving toward a goal. From Berens INTJs will be noticeable because they need to have a course of action to follow, want to know what to do and keep themselves and the group on course. INTJs are going to want to know what is going to happen and need a plan to guide them.

On the other hand like their counter-parts INFP, ISFP and ISFJ, the INTP will want the best result possible therefore are willing to hold out for additional information. They may control information to other people until they have a clear understanding themselves. INTPs are more likely to consult outside sources before making a move where INTJs are will most likely try something, see if it works and then go back to the drawing board in the name of movement toward the goal. This is one reason that I find at least myself more in tune with INTJs than INTP (in particularly since my supervisor is INTP). I did not realize how tense I get with his wanting more and more information before we present a report. I see it as overkill, however there are many times that the information he wants in the report is quite necessary.

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well he better get his ass in here and clear this up.

After all this debate, now I'm not even sure what I was trying to say...

Let's see, I'm lumping "friendly jab" in the same camp as "some kind of small usually-friendly humorous comment/insult comes out". By "True, but" I am agreeing that both Ti & Te feel compelled to comment but differentiating that Te tends to be a blunt "Dude, that was stupid" while Ti tends to be more playful sarcasm.

Although I must say, it makes me feel pleasantly biblical to have my message be debated so vigorously. :D

Last edited:

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
lol its ok. Se is subconscious, so its use wont be apparent. Se is more of a backup of Fi. It lends the importance of facts and physical evidence to decision making. so i think.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Very good points that look at the cognitive functions, however the auxiliary function is not always going to be so noticeable due to lack of development and per Berens, the Ni and Ti can appear similar in both having a love for complexity. I think the interaction styles for each will be most apparent. Along with ISTP, ISTJ and INFJ the INTJ will have that contained tension in moving toward a goal. From Berens INTJs will be noticeable because they need to have a course of action to follow, want to know what to do and keep themselves and the group on course. INTJs are going to want to know what is going to happen and need a plan to guide them.

Heh, I think of all the "Chart-The-Course" types, the INTJ is the Chart-The-Course-iest. INTJ's can take planning to an obsessive-compulsive level. They seem to have plans and contingencies for even the most trivial of things.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Heh, I think of all the "Chart-The-Course" types, the INTJ is the Chart-The-Course-iest. INTJ's can take planning to an obsessive-compulsive level. They seem to have plans and contingencies for even the most trivial of things.
I can confirm that.
While it can be a fault much of the time,
sometimes it comes in as a handy talent,
especially when doing something that's never been done before.
I helped organize a carnival once,
and because of my ability to imagine difficulties that might arise ahead of time,
we were prepared instead of being caught short.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

On the other hand like their counter-parts INFP, ISFP and ISFJ, the INTP will want the best result possible therefore are willing to hold out for additional information. They may control information to other people until they have a clear understanding themselves. INTPs are more likely to consult outside sources before making a move where INTJs are will most likely try something, see if it works and then go back to the drawing board in the name of movement toward the goal. This is one reason that I find at least myself more in tune with INTJs than INTP (in particularly since my supervisor is INTP). I did not realize how tense I get with his wanting more and more information before we present a report. I see it as overkill, however there are many times that the information he wants in the report is quite necessary.

I never understood why certain types are away from their counterparts in this Interaction Styles thing. Why are all the IPs considered "Behind-the-Scenes", except for the ISTP? (And these the Kiersey types INTP and INTJ we're talking of, not the MBTI ones, correct?)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
INTJ talk more shit but INTP do beat it :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I still try to fit the type "imba" into type description, but I just can not bend the letters xD

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Totally disagree. I think that ISTJ is the poster child for Chart the Course interaction style.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I never understood why certain types are away from their counterparts in this Interaction Styles thing. Why are all the IPs considered "Behind-the-Scenes", except for the ISTP? (And these the Kiersey types INTP and INTJ we're talking of, not the MBTI ones, correct?)
Good question and maybe something that Sarah would like to take a stab at if she finds this thread. But the interaction styles by Berens is based on temperament. Keep in mind that she is a Keirseyan first and foremost, but is the only system that has been able to merge Keirsey/MBTI. The decision to split SP/SJ from ST/SF by Keirsey throws a wrinkle in MBTI enthusiasts well coordinated thougts. If you look at Behind the Scenes you find ISFJ being the only J, as well for ESFJ in Get Things Going. As you allude to ISTP is the only P in Chart the Course as well as ESTP in In Charge. It is the reason that I appreciated Berens theory, after dealing with an INTP boss in real life.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

You are saying that like it is a bad thing.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Why is that?
I originally recalled the themes to resonate more with a "Planner" (hence Berens name for ISTJs), however I went back to look at the first person and general descriptions after making my comment. I recant my statement because I can see why INTJ would be considered the epitome of "Chart the Course" types from first couple of paragraphs of each description. As you read further to get an overall theme, the descriptions become chaotic in an attempt to acknowledge INTJ, INFJ, ISTJ and ISTP.

It may be why as ISTP, I seem to resonate more (depending on my usage, or lack thereof, Se) with the "Behind the Scenes" style when using my Ti too much and with the "In Charge" style when my environment forces me into a role of leadership.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
ISTJs are great at a certain kind of planning. Keirsey and I call it logistical planning.

Boss: "We have X resources. We need Y done, by Tuesday."

ISTJ: "I will plan and report back."

NT, given the same objective: "Well, we need to order Z resources, and I recommend changing this part of the plan, and it will take until Thursday."