• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] The Internet as a Social Laboratory

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ever since i began to socialize online i have viewed it all as a bit of an experiment... i present different aspects of myself to different groups/individuals and see what happens... i generally don't worry as much about what may happen as what does... i tend to take my one on one interactions seriously if i enjoy someone, but sometimes i like to throw a stick in someones spokes (often when they annoy me) just to see what happens... sometimes i acknowledge that i have done that, and others i don't...

i am concerned that this may make me sound disingenuous... i would like to note that i don't so much pretend to be something i am not, as filter what aspect i display...

question time...

1. do you use the internet to test social theories?

2. if so, how reliable do you find your results to be?

3. are you more concerned with being yourself, or with finding results?

4. is there anything you would like to add that i haven't asked about?

S16M4

Permabanned
question time...

1. I use real life to test social theories. I use e-life to…talk shit. lol

2. Pretty reliable actually. Females are social fucking juggernauts, so you have to be congruent or they will see right through you.

3. At this point, I'm more concerned with being myself, but my Self is constantly testing the waters and evolving. At first I was concerned with results.

4. Life offline isn't that scary. I promise. Unless you live in the hood where people get shot.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
4. Life offline isn't that scary. I promise. Unless you live in the hood where people get shot.

i agree, but i communicate more easily in a written format...

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
question time...

1. Yep. But I don't "use" people I interact/will interact in a daily basis (like online friends and people from a forum). I'll most likely sign up in a penpal site, do and advanced search, contact X people that matche the criteria and wait for responses. If they're interesting, I tell them I anted to prove something and then befriend them. If they don't interest me, I stop talking to them. In real life I test hypothesis with people I don't care about, not with friends (I ask friends "what they'd say if I told them that...", but they just know it's me being curious about something I'm wondering). If I'm feeling extroverted that day, I approach people in the street, or react in certain way to see how THEY react, but that seldom happens.

2. Weeeeell, it depends. My parents say I was born skeptical of everything, and I'm a big statistic haters, because it's said that they're an accurate representation of the society, but I sort of mistrust this. If I make a survey online, I'll be expecting the survey to be replied by people who have access to the internet, people who want to take the survey, people who found that survey. If I stop on one city corner and start asking questions to people, it will be to people willing to answer questions, who are walking, whose path includes that corner, people passing at that particular time, etc etc etc. Even if I choose random people from any street, it will be according to me saying "yes to this one, no to that one", so it's always according to some criteria.

Having said that, when I do make these tests, I find results that I choose to consider accurate because they come from experience and I trust my ability to design questions or have certain reactions that will lead me to specific answers.

Example: a couple months ago, there was this guy from UNESCO outside some shop, trying to get people to monthly donate money (via direct debit). He "caught" me and started telling me about whatever cause it was. I can't remember because he was standing painfully close to me and as he was taller than me, he was sort of... wrapping me with his body without touching me. Plus, he would look at me in the eyes without blinking. I just wanted to get the hell out. At one moment I pushed him away and asked him how many people he had convinced with that attitude. He said "none", so I grabbed the folder he had and went to random people on the street and told them the same thing he had told me (I tried to use to my slight knowledge of micro-expressions I had been learning). In less than half an hour I had 5 people willing to donate, so I gave the folder back to the guy and decided to go back home. He asked me if I was going to donate, and I told him some shit about me only trusting their concern about equality when the UN decided not to have countries with veto power and went away.

3. I'm concerned about being myself with people that I see every day or that already know me, or that I care about. If I need to prove a point and I need of people I don't know or care about, I don't care playing the part.

4. Nope.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Not to test theories, but to learn about human differences. Early on in my internet career, in chat rooms, I learned that Asian and Hispanic women are some of the kindest, gentlest people on earth, in contrast to whites or blacks who are full of piss and vinegar, the unhappy, unfortunate products of feminism. But as far as theories go, I haven't tested any.

n/a

I'm more myself online now than I was at first when I would take on roles to test reactions.

No.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel like Dexter sometimes.

:)

i really like that show...

1. Yep. But I don't "use" people I interact/will interact in a daily basis (like online friends and people from a forum). I'll most likely sign up in a penpal site, do and advanced search, contact X people that matche the criteria and wait for responses. If they're interesting, I tell them I anted to prove something and then befriend them. If they don't interest me, I stop talking to them. In real life I test hypothesis with people I don't care about, not with friends (I ask friends "what they'd say if I told them that...", but they just know it's me being curious about something I'm wondering). If I'm feeling extroverted that day, I approach people in the street, or react in certain way to see how THEY react, but that seldom happens.

2. Weeeeell, it depends. My parents say I was born skeptical of everything, and I'm a big statistic haters, because it's said that they're an accurate representation of the society, but I sort of mistrust this. If I make a survey online, I'll be expecting the survey to be replied by people who have access to the internet, people who want to take the survey, people who found that survey. If I stop on one city corner and start asking questions to people, it will be to people willing to answer questions, who are walking, whose path includes that corner, people passing at that particular time, etc etc etc. Even if I choose random people from any street, it will be according to me saying "yes to this one, no to that one", so it's always according to some criteria.

Having said that, when I do make these tests, I find results that I choose to consider accurate because they come from experience and I trust my ability to design questions or have certain reactions that will lead me to specific answers.

Example: a couple months ago, there was this guy from UNESCO outside some shop, trying to get people to monthly donate money (via direct debit). He "caught" me and started telling me about whatever cause it was. I can't remember because he was standing painfully close to me and as he was taller than me, he was sort of... wrapping me with his body without touching me. Plus, he would look at me in the eyes without blinking. I just wanted to get the hell out. At one moment I pushed him away and asked him how many people he had convinced with that attitude. He said "none", so I grabbed the folder he had and went to random people on the street and told them the same thing he had told me (I tried to use to my slight knowledge of micro-expressions I had been learning). In less than half an hour I had 5 people willing to donate, so I gave the folder back to the guy and decided to go back home. He asked me if I was going to donate, and I told him some shit about me only trusting their concern about equality when the UN decided not to have countries with veto power and went away.

3. I'm concerned about being myself with people that I see every day or that already know me, or that I care about. If I need to prove a point and I need of people I don't know or care about, I don't care playing the part.

it sounds like you go about these things the way i do... your reply was detailed, so i wish i had more to say than thanks...

Not to test theories, but to learn about human differences. Early on in my internet career, in chat rooms, I learned that Asian and Hispanic women are some of the kindest, gentlest people on earth, in contrast to whites or blacks who are full of piss and vinegar, the unhappy, unfortunate products of feminism. But as far as theories go, I haven't tested any.

thanks...

the number of people i know who aren't white is low (i think this is due to my location)... in the small number i know from my "real life" i have had similar impressions of asian women... it must be a cultural thing... hispanic women i have found to be kind and genuine, but easy to rile up (though i am not the one to draw their ire)...

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not an INTP, but interesting topic.

No, but I am able to gain insights about people by watching (or reading lol). I don't have any particular end goal in mind. I may create create a theory after the fact though.

Okay I technically said no to the above question, but I'll just judge the accuracy of the insights. Actually I'm not really sure if I will ever know how accurate they are. They are obviously (or hopefully) accurate for that particular person, but
idk. I think you need to use what you have to navigate social scenes and adapt when the theory falls through.

Being myself.

I'm really not a big fan of provoking people to prove a point with social experiments. It's just mean, and I wouldn't want it to happen to me.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not an INTP, but interesting topic.

No, but I am able to gain insights about people by watching (or reading lol). I don't have any particular end goal in mind. I may create create a theory after the fact though.

Okay I technically said no to the above question, but I'll just judge the accuracy of the insights. Actually I'm not really sure if I will ever know how accurate they are. They are obviously (or hopefully) accurate for that particular person, but
idk. I think you need to use what you have to navigate social scenes and adapt when the theory falls through.

Being myself.

I'm really not a big fan of provoking people to prove a point with social experiments. It's just mean, and I wouldn't want it to happen to me.

your input is welcome and appreciated (i try very hard to include words like that)... why do you feel it is mean? it would seem to me that if the intentions and methods aren't malicious, that there really shouldn't be anything too negative about the process... as long as one is being honest, it doesn't seem so bad to react in a manner you may not otherwise... it is good that you try to be yourself... i think that most people who aren't playing a role or "trolling" others are also... by using the word "provoking" it seems that you are inferring that i am drawing people into a negative interaction (i rarely do that)... i am not trying to deflate your point, i am just contrasting what i perceive in it with what i think my activities resemble... this thread is a good example of what i am talking about... i wouldn't walk up to people on the street and ask "do you like fucking with people to see what they do?"...

does any of this change your opinion? perhaps you were speaking in a broad sense of what you have experienced... anyhow, you have given me a chance to ask some questions that i hoped to be able to ask (thanks)...

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
your input is welcome and appreciated (i try very hard to include words like that)... why do you feel it is mean? it would seem to me that if the intentions and methods aren't malicious, that there really shouldn't be anything too negative about the process... as long as one is being honest, it doesn't seem so bad to react in a manner you may not otherwise... it is good that you try to be yourself... i think that most people who aren't playing a role or "trolling" others are also... by using the word "provoking" it seems that you are inferring that i am drawing people into a negative interaction (i rarely do that)... i am not trying to deflate your point, i am just contrasting what i perceive in it with what i think my activities resemble... this thread is a good example of what i am talking about... i wouldn't walk up to people on the street and ask "do you like fucking with people to see what they do?"...

does any of this change your opinion? perhaps you were speaking in a broad sense of what you have experienced... anyhow, you have given me a chance to ask some questions that i hoped to be able to ask (thanks)...

I wasn't specifically talking about you. I just know other people both irl and on the internet who boast about provoking people to see how their mind works. Most people I know intentions are making themselves feel better and/or starting a bunch of drama. Of course I think it would depend on how they provoke. Asking them a controversial question is one thing, but insulting them to see how the react is mean imo.

What you said does not change my opinion, but I wasn't trying to imply that you were mean so no worries there. I don't even know what your method of conducting these experiments were since your OP was kinda vague, so i can;t really morally judge you.