• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How rare are NT girls? Does society comdemn this personality type in females?

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd venture to guess there's lots of xNTx females we've all met whom we didn't recognize as such, because they were both intelligent enough and socially skilled enough to know that "being themselves" would be more hassle than just flying under the radar for an evening or an event.

I've met my fair share of highly socially inept NTs and I used to be one of them, but the interesting ones I know and knew didn't pass themselves off that way. It shows a willingness to explore other avenues and it also shows willpower to change. And it's not even the social ineptitude that bothers me so much as it is this thing where the really inept ones tend to be selfish and immature. But for the NT girls, it must be like letting out a deep sigh of relief.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
Surface conformism can take you lots of places. After time you learn to read where and with whom you can be yourself.

I'd venture to guess there's lots of xNTx females we've all met whom we didn't recognize as such, because they were both intelligent enough and socially skilled enough to know that "being themselves" would be more hassle than just flying under the radar for an evening or an event.

Yes. I've met a few NT females, and all but one of them have the ability to shift into a more socially acceptable "feminine" mantle.

Learning to alternate between these personas has been an awkward process for me, but it's extremely socially beneficial - though it doesn't always work well in all contexts.

For example, I still have trouble with certain guys (romantic prospects generally). My behavioral cycle: I come off as a little "softer" initially, and so guys get used to that. But as I become more comfortable around them, I start to act myself - a little more argumentative, I joke more...I don't become mean or cold or abrasive, just less traditionally "feminine." When they eventually realize I'm not the second coming of their mother, they get freaked out. Some might say I'm being disingenuous, but honestly, it's an unconscious process that's become natural out of social necessity for me. I act the same around females - a little more timid and girly at first - but as soon as I feel I can work my way into a niche, I act myself. With guys the transition isn't as smooth. One of my male friends, he's an ISFJ, still doesn't believe I really am who I am. He thinks I'm just temporarily deluded from the true path of womanhood, and that I'll get back on track eventually. Doesn't matter how many times I tell him he's an idiot :D.

I do find that "NT" traits in females have a habit of being seen as odd - as an aberration that needs fixing. But if you have confidence and can navigate the social waters, I figure you'll be accepted eventually. But hopefully not as a loveable circus freak.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Yes. I've met a few NT females, and all but one of them have the ability to shift into a more socially acceptable "feminine" mantle.

Learning to alternate between these personas has been an awkward process for me, but it's extremely socially beneficial - though it doesn't always work well in all contexts.

For example, I still have trouble with certain guys (romantic prospects generally). My behavioral cycle: I come off as a little "softer" initially, and so guys get used to that. But as I become more comfortable around them, I start to act myself - a little more argumentative, I joke more...I don't become mean or cold or abrasive, just less traditionally "feminine." When they eventually realize I'm not the second coming of their mother, they get freaked out. Some might say I'm being disingenuous, but honestly, it's an unconscious process that's become natural out of social necessity for me. I act the same around females - a little more timid and girly at first - but as soon as I feel I can work my way into a niche, I act myself. With guys the transition isn't as smooth. One of my male friends, he's an ISFJ, still doesn't believe I really am who I am. He thinks I'm just temporarily deluded from the true path of womanhood, and that I'll get back on track eventually. Doesn't matter how many times I tell him he's an idiot :D.

I do find that "NT" traits in females have a habit of being seen as odd - as an aberration that needs fixing. But if you have confidence and can navigate the social waters, I figure you'll be accepted eventually. But hopefully not as a loveable circus freak.

I can relate to this. Also, I'm not impressed by the stuff that guys usually do to impress girls. Like, demonstrating what kind of stuff they can do, or bringing me things that "girls like." I always see myself as an equal, so I tend to meet them on that level, rather than going all gooey about someone's accomplishments. This confuses a lot of guys. I'm always just more impressed by the total package of someone's personality and brain, which just is something I like or isn't. There's not much you can do to impress me. I've noticed that's different from the other women I know.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
My surgeon is one (ENTJ).

So are several of my favorite professors (INTJ), and my financial advisor.

attilla the honey

MBTI Type
ENTJ
ENTJ "girl" here, actually woman. Married to an ESTJ. President of a Polyurethane and Compression Rubber Plant, one of 2 women who work in the plant.

Never felt a need to be softer, nicer, but having 2 kids made me somewhat kinder and gentler.

Men like me and I like men because I can think like them and talk like them.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
The other thing is that people (in my experience, xSFJ females) can get super clingy when they hear you make a wry comment or very non-standard observation about something... they treat you like a new toy and ask you questions you don't want to answer, or constantly will contrast your opinion with a "normal person's opinion" and will choose contrary to whatever position you hold because they see you as "not normal."

That's just a headache I hate dealing with.

Or is this just me? :huh:

I don't experience the super-clingy aspect of this, but the rest I relate to, especially at work. I've recently realised I'm way more comfortable chatting to most of the guys at work - they almost never give me the 'wtf did you just say' look that I tend to get from most of the women I work with when the blending-in-mask slips.

Outside of work, most of my female friends are not particularly feminine and now that I think about it, they nearly all work in areas that are somewhat male-dominated (eg engineering, physics, computing etc). I fit in with them a lot better than with the women I work with.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So in effect my participation by relating my experience can very much verify that yes, society is mean to NT females!!

I think in a technical career it's not as bad, people respect raw intelligence and competence. (And I'm also starting to realize that women in my tech field get judged a little harsher, it seems to me that a guy who is marginal in talent is not judged as bad as a woman who is marginal...especially if she's pretty. It's like if you're pretty, it almost goes against you; the way the guys talk about that sort of woman, they think they've only gotten that far because of their looks).

In any case, I know I feel bad because I'm simply not as "coddly" and emotionally fluffy like many of the women I've met in my life, I feel harder and more aloof and not prone to run after people and try to make them feel better IRL... at least not with people I'm in personal relationships with. And I don't always feel comfortable in every woman's circle, if they're just gossiping and crap; some of the stuff that would get talked about just drives me nuts.

I'm glad I know NT women here because I do not feel like I'm an anomaly then.

I can relate to this. Also, I'm not impressed by the stuff that guys usually do to impress girls. Like, demonstrating what kind of stuff they can do, or bringing me things that "girls like." I always see myself as an equal, so I tend to meet them on that level, rather than going all gooey about someone's accomplishments. This confuses a lot of guys. I'm always just more impressed by the total package of someone's personality and brain, which just is something I like or isn't. There's not much you can do to impress me. I've noticed that's different from the other women I know.

I'm impressed by a guy's (1) character, (2) intelligence, (3) humor, and (4) sensitivity to others. And not the social flotsam, as you are saying. I'm looking for specific acts of understanding and sensitivity and how he treats people. The other stuff bores me.

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
A lot of my friends call me 'tin hearted', with a hard interior that is waiting to be cracked... :D I've had some male acquaintances shake their heads at me and tell me that I need some 'romance' to 'soften me up'.

I've had this experience only for the past 2-3 years, though. Before that, I was vaguely aware that classmates found me strange and relatives thought I was 'different'.

The other thing is that people (in my experience, xSFJ females) can get super clingy when they hear you make a wry comment or very non-standard observation about something... they treat you like a new toy and ask you questions you don't want to answer, or constantly will contrast your opinion with a "normal person's opinion" and will choose contrary to whatever position you hold because they see you as "not normal."

Yes! People are either very wary of me or they're extremely intrigued by me.

Just yesterday, a girl I know started off telling me about how cool she thinks I am, and if I'd been born 100 years ago she'd be reading about me in he history books. :huh: Flattering as it was, it got embarrassing after awhile.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have never known any in person.

I knew at least two [female ENTP], in high school. They were both assholes. I wouldn't say bitches, because of the masculine quality to their vileness. They were funny though.

From my experience and from what I've been told, women like me are pretty unique. I think most of the girl friends I had throughout middle school and high school were NTs or at least Ts and our conversations seemed atypical for girls. We never talked about crushes or relationships or fashion. We basically just tried to make each other laugh by mocking things/people and taking the weirdest or most perverted or meanest conversational tangents possible. We knew nothing of each others personal/emotional lives and we didn't care.

Do any of you think society rewards female ESF behavior over that of the INT? I am also wondering how rare they are in reality, I haven't found any stats on the issue.

I think so, but the nice thing about being the 'wrong kind of T' is that I'm still a T, so I'll still care about social pressure less than any feeler, even if they're the 'right kind of feeler'. Yay!

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
We never talked about crushes or relationships or fashion. We basically just tried to make each other laugh by mocking things/people and taking the weirdest or most perverted or meanest conversational tangents possible.

Yeah I knew this type in middle school (bitches), my clique of guys was friends with a small group of these girls. As you outlined, they like talking about much of the same things us guys talked about, cept they had bewbs.

V Profane

MBTI Type
INTP
I knew at least two, in high school. They were both assholes. I wouldn't say bitches, because of the masculine quality to their vileness.

Ooohh, daaymn!

There's nothing so raw as girl on girl criticism. (Skeet, skeet, skeet)

Cindy

MBTI Type
INTJ
My best friend is a 'NT' female so I guess I got lucky there.
I am good friends with another but she is too much of a homebody for us to really hit it off. And I can recall several other females that I have met in my past that I'm sure are 'NT' as well (a few of these are the homebody siblings of my friends).

I think society certainly rewards extroversion over intoversion and bubbly females are prefered. People have valued (and rewarded) the thinker in me but my lack of emotion is often brought to my attention. I have to explain that you only get one or the other.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah I knew this type in middle school (bitches), my clique of guys was friends with a small group of these girls. As you outlined, they like talking about much of the same things us guys talked about, cept they had bewbs.

It's funny. Since there are no NT girls in my school, I have to side with the boys. Almost every girl in my school is for sure SF, some NF but I can't recall any T (even if I'm sure there must be some T girls).

It always has been that way... women are sexual symbols or mother-bearers, and sweet and emotional. An F is a must. Even now, in the XXI century, that thought remains. On society eyes, who would be a better mother, an SF or an NT? A better wife/girlfriend? A better daughter?
I read on a magazine that society would still need two centuries for seeing women and men equal. It doesn't surprise me at all.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Men like me and I like men because I can think like them and talk like them.

The older I get the more men appreciate my NT-ness. (possibly also because the raw Te is less apparent now than in teenage years when it was really starting to develop)

Although I have a bit of a strong love it or leave it character going on that can result in immediate dislike in certain guys.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't feel condemned but I do feel as though there's an expectation for me to act in a way that contradicts my nature. It's the T that bothers people the most.

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
See now I feel like its the NP that bothers people more about me.

Decon

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w1
Reading this, it reminded me what type of girl I would like to be with. I was attracted to one INTP girl. I knew she was one because we would be sarcastic with each other when we did talk, and only talked to a couple of other people. Since then, I've only met NF and SF girls. My last ex was an ISFX, and I'm actually likd of glad it's over. I'd rather be with a female NT then another SF. I'm sure a few of you have heard of Daria, she was Bevis and Butthead's brother. I'd rather go out with someone like her then any other type of person. But that's just me, and maybe I'll meet a few while I attend college, who knows.

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, even I think it's the NP that bothers people more than the T. Nobody really appreciates randomness and flights of fancy anymore.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
See now I feel like its the NP that bothers people more about me.

Yeah, even I think it's the NP that bothers people more than the T. Nobody really appreciates randomness and flights of fancy anymore.

More specifically for me is the fact that I have Fi that is unseen by most and crappy Fe, I think that may be the differance here with NTJ/NTP... maybe *shrug*

My work appreciates my N but the T clashes with peoples expectations of females.