• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Does your Intuition ever scare people?

T

ThatGirl

Have you ever been sitting in a conversation with someone who may spit out something insignificant. But instantly you detatch from the conversation and begin to explore the possible senerios that this sort of comment could come from. Then you say something related to, I dont know, eight degrees of seperation down the original statement but it has nothing to do with them.

Thats when you get the look from the other person. Like you have just seen them naked. And when you see the look, now you know. And they know you know.

If this happens to you a lot, how do you learn to not see? It is very awkward.

I know this may seem redundant to another thread I had started but I have been thinking about it more extensively and I realize that it freaks people out.

T

ThatGirl

Have you ever been sitting in a conversation with someone who may spit out something insignificant. But instantly you detatch from the conversation and begin to explore the possible senerios that this sort of comment could come from. Then you say something related to, I dont know, eight degrees of seperation down the original statement but it has nothing to do with them.

Thats when you get the look from the other person. Like you have just seen them naked. And when you see the look, now you know. And they know you know.

I know this may seem redundant to another thread I had started but I have been thinking about it more extensively and I realize that it freaks people out.

Thats it I'm hitting myself over the head with a mallet and going to bed

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Regarding the bolded statement, if a person says something "eight degrees of separation" from the original statement, couldn't the look of response mean all kinds of things including confusion as to how that statement relates to the flow of conversation? What my comment guards against is the kind of thinking that assumes oneself intuitive and verifies it through a very subjective interpretation of someone's response. If a person wants to "see others naked" so to speak, then they will look for a response to validate that ideal, when the response if it is just an expression, could in fact mean a range of things.

As far as intuition scaring folk, mine primarily scares me when I realize I'm wrong about something. The implications of faulty intuition are damn scary.

T

ThatGirl

Cant describe the look but it is more of shock than confusion

redacted

I think my intuition intimidates the hell out of people -- I sometimes sense that people are holding themselves back when I'm in the room because they don't want me to "see through" them.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I once told a girl I hardly knew that she was smarter than her fraternal twin sister (I was 17 and unwise). She was a bit put off. It didn't occur to me that it wasn't obvious.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I usually have a completly wrong picture of myself in public, so it is very hard to tell, if I actually look into people.

Things I experience, are to say something that is out of context. If my partner in discussion actually follows, he interrupts me and asks why I just did say that.

But this is more related to chaos.

Another thing I came to realize, is that people often think I am very intelligent, where I think of myself to be pretty dumb. I just happen to have the ability to enter a bus and to make up stories about the lifes of the people sitting in the bus, in the 60 seconds I go to my seat. What just happens, what is not wished by me. Again you can not really describe it, because in those moments, I do not actually think in words. Everything I say out to the world, I most of the time have thought before in my head. But this is more an imagenery going on before you form spoken words or bring sense to things.

But it is in fact the case that many people think I have some personal mystery or something. I hardly loose it to stand my ground in public and society. And sometimes people think things of me, I have never seen before or would have expected.

So no, my Ne-ness probably only freaks me myself out. The other people are still very kind to me :).

What could be another thing is that I resort in conversations with people around here where I live, everytime to proven and accepted phrases, which you express to show the others that you are harmless and a citizen like they themselves.

For example you talk about the weather or a soccer game. Or you say you would never buy a Japanese car, cause "how could possibly someone do this".

With strangers this is always a good thing to keep a low profile. With friends, I do not resort to that, cause they know, I am not intrested in the weather. (at least not when the discussion is not about changing Isobars or vertical lifting indices :D)

redacted

As accentuated by "Or something like that..."

But my ridiculous generalizations have a way of getting truer by the second.

I mean, you can make that comment about the girl herself; she probably is like that. To apply it to NFs in general is the ridiculous part.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
^Yeah, I got what you were saying, no need to explain. I knew it was overarching. Yet I still posted it.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
I can act as a tarot card reader. I don't think I have that skill (or if it really exists), but my classmates were like 'WHOA HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT?!'.
Not magic, just... little things that lead to others.

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
Interestingly you said that you detach for your intuitive insights... That is the exact opposite way for me. I am a coach and tune into people and connect with them to gain insight... And yes, it does irk people a bit when you can "see" things that may not make rational sense to their logic (like how I know what I know) since it hits the very heart of the matter for them.

ConchShell

MBTI Type
ENFP
It's amazing the way I can communicate with the three of my colleagues that are intuitives. We sort of just speak quarter sentences to each other all day. I often speak a quarter sentence and realise that my colleague already knows what I'm going to say, so I ditch finishing the sentence and give the whole subject a conclusion. Then my colleague will usually add a comment to what I was going to say, perhaps to confirm that they did understand me. I do this with them as well. Like using telepathy all day long. I can't communicate so easily with my sensing colleagues. I mean not with so little effort.

Because we're equal in this (intuitive colleagues), we don't freak each other out. But I do freak out some of my sensing friends. Occasionally they say, "Guess what?" and I'll answer correctly! That does throw them off balance. Quite funny too.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5

The looks I get when I do this are more in confusion, because they really ARE seemingly unrelated to whatever conversation topic we are on. I learned a while ago that when I find myself disengaged from a conversation with my mind wandering like that from some 'trigger', before I open my mouth again I tune back into the conversation and listen again for a bit. If I find that my epiphany is no longer relavant to what is being said, I keep it to myself. It usually happens that the conversation has shifted and saying something from 10 minutes ago gets really weird looks.

I must say though, that my side-tours from the conversations are not usually bent on trying to figure out what prompted them to say something like that. I guess as an INTJ it doesn't really enter my head to wonder about THEM as a person, I want to know how I can apply what they're saying or relate it to something else. Hence the weird, off-topic, random things I used to blurt out.

Maybe this is why you get the scared look and I get the 'is she crazy' look. :D