• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Does your Intuition ever scare people?

bcubchgo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Let's face it - intuition is all about "educated guessing". That scares people because it seems to fly in the face of logic. People that are sticklers for logic get offended by things that "shirk" their understanding of the world at large because they believe their critical thinking skills are superior. Only problem is, once you are so superior to everyone else that you prevent yourself from being able to appreciate things that don't fit into your "logic structure" you've handicapped your logic system.

My intuition scares people on a regular basis. I have realized that there's only so much time I can spend trying to convince someone of the value of it so I usually keep the real scary ideas to myself and apply them to my own projects. That way, when something "works" or shows itself to be beneficial, I've just reaped the rewards and everybody thinks I did something important.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sometimes, or sometimes it just confuses people how I was aware of something I figured out by putting 2 and 2 together. People may make false assumptions on how I came to the conclusion in the first place. Or there are times I may overhear things and that helps me figure things out, and people are unaware that I pick up on certain things. Or there are times I'm barely even aware of or I forget how I know something. I may keep quiet about certain things I know because I don't know how to explain how I got to a certain conclusion because I'm terrible at explaining stuff like that.

Jaguar

TG OP - there's a blast from the past. Too funny. Actually, my intuition can annoy people since they end up with egg on their face.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There was a time when I was asked to pick out a name from a list of people, who was the alt in the game of the person asking (who never told anyone). There was 20 names, but I had accurately guessed their alt based entirely on associations/feeling/tone of his main account. It was originally a joke, because I was saying I was psychic (edgy teen). Guessing it right freaked him out a bit.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Mostly, I awed people. A few were freaked out though.
Back in the day, I used to give tarot card readings to friends and friends of friends, neighbors. Not for money or anything.
I never read the cards, though. I read the people, their behaviors, body language, and I made inferences with what I knew of their life.

It was such a great outlet. I could tell people that, for instance, holding in their anger was putting a great strain on their marriage and it would end in divorce if things didn't change. "I" could tell people that until I was blue in the face and they'd never take the words to heart. Once the "cards" told them that, however, the reactions were immediate.

I also used to freak my husband out a little when I'd tell him this or that person wasn't to be trusted. He laughed it off, at first, but after bad experiences with those people, he now loves my insights and looks to me often.

**EDIT**
Bah! I replied in the wrong place again, not noticing the NT :rolleyes:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mostly, I awed people. A few were freaked out though.
Back in the day, I used to give tarot card readings to friends and friends of friends, neighbors. Not for money or anything.
I never read the cards, though. I read the people, their behaviors, body language, and I made inferences with what I knew of their life.

It was such a great outlet. I could tell people that, for instance, holding in their anger was putting a great strain on their marriage and it would end in divorce if things didn't change. "I" could tell people that until I was blue in the face and they'd never take the words to heart. Once the "cards" told them that, however, the reactions were immediate.

I also used to freak my husband out a little when I'd tell him this or that person wasn't to be trusted. He laughed it off, at first, but after bad experiences with those people, he now loves my insights and looks to me often.

**EDIT**
Bah! I replied in the wrong place again, not noticing the NT :rolleyes:
No problem. You are welcome to post here. Putting it in the NT subforum is more designed to elicit NT interest than exclude others. When an OP wants to restrict replies only to some type, they can so specify. IME that is rare, though.

As for my own response: occasionally people indicate they have been surprised or taken aback by things I come up with. Of course, if they have this reaction and don't share it, I may not know.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I do this all the time but they always feel more uncomfortable than I do. Sometimes they're open to what I have said, and sometimes it's brushed away.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the description of the process is not all that relateable, but i am excellent at guessing as to the details behind a person or situation... i can't recall being wrong when i have proclaimed certainty...

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It does, but I try not to.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Sometimes intuition upsets or angers people in my experience.

I remember one time where I "miraculously" solved some computer issue and instead of being thankful my former xSTx boss got really angry with me because I couldn't logically explain or recall how I had found the root cause. He basically thought I was holding something back. Because of experiences like this, I do not get along with people who abide by rational thinking only.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
It has tentacles, so people either really like it or really don't. Because that's how you feel about things with tentacles.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
It isn't uncommon for my intuition to become clairvoyant. Often times I will get a very strong feeling that I should pay special attention to someone or do something that would otherwise seem insignificant.

" Talk to that random stranger" has often led to great life-improvements.

One of my favorite stories was when I was on my way to a convention from my home above the Japanese grocery store. I was running late but something told me I needed to stop and get a pork bun. I was only somewhat hungry and could have gone without.

"Get two."
" I do not need two."
" GET TWO OF THEM!" I can tell when this insistent voice is more than a gut feeling so I did as it said, as I always do.

As usual the line was a loud and vast sea of commotion, yet somehow one particular scene, barely even visible to me caught my attention.
"Go check it out."
"No! It can't possibly have anything to do with me and I'll loose my place in line."
"GO!"

I pushed ahead of about 5 rows and found a group of greatly concerned people surrounding a friend of mine. He is diabetic and decided not to eat anything all day because lining up early was more important. He was about to feint and he was about to give up and go to the hospital even though the tickets would be sold out by the time he returned.

Me to my intuition: Yeah, yeah, I get it.

I reached into the paper sack I'd brought with me. "I just happen to have this extra pork bun if you want."

His eyes lit up, he said it was just the thing, that I was a life-saver and his group invited me to stay in their-much closer-place in line.

My intuition is always like this; helpful for everyone involved. So no, no one is afraid of it. They are grateful.

...except when it comes to any game of chance like gambling or TCGs. No one will bet against me which kind of makes it a useless skill.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am quite likely so come as either insightful or scary ... and intuition plays pretty large part in that.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In my experience, Intuitives tend to use intuition by reading into a situation that no one else has considered reading into before. People are not used to so much of a close look at how they lead their lives. It can be scary for some, especially if they feel they hid something really well that no one else but an intuitive could have detected. Hence the "clairvoyant" and "reading of minds" stereotype. We are just careful examiners.

PS- A recent conversation with my ESTJ mother has sparked some further thoughts about this. She mentioned it was difficult for her to have a child that understood more about humans and the human condition through the lens of emotion than any other adult she's known. I was shocked to hear this from her as an adult. I had no idea she felt that way!

So, again, we read into the little crooks and crannies in the room that most others tend to ignore or brush past.....

Scares the hell out of me on regular basis. I’m not just talking about the parts of intuition I can later logically trace back to a source. It’s the out of the blue knowing something with absolute (and often dreaded) certainty that unnerves me. I’ve seen too many examples in my life and I ignore both traceable and untraceable intuition at my own peril.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I managed to intimidate people by just looking at the sky and being able to tell the time. Since by knowing how the objects in the sky move you can do that. However to some this is creepy, especially when they realize/confirm you are right.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I managed to intimidate people by just looking at the sky and being able to tell the time. Since by knowing how the objects in the sky move you can do that. However to some this is creepy, especially when they realize/confirm you are right.

...but that is specifically Se.

It's pretty neat skill though. I know some people who could do that.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can usually tell the time to within 5-10 minutes, even inside, after not checking a clock for hours, and after being throroughly engrossed in some activity. I just seem to have some inner sense of the passage of time. Not sure if anyone finds that intimidating, but they have commented on it being a bit odd.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
...but that is specifically Se.

It's pretty neat skill though. I know some people who could do that.

Se is observation but being able to interpret the data quickly without careful measurement on the system that is constantly on the move and depends on the time of the year is intuition. :D

I can usually tell the time to within 5-10 minutes, even inside, after not checking a clock for hours, and after being throroughly engrossed in some activity. I just seem to have some inner sense of the passage of time. Not sure if anyone finds that intimidating, but they have commented on it being a bit odd.

I am pretty good at this as well. However at one point I was really into astronomy and therefore I developed the skill to use the sky as a map or clock.