• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Does your Intuition ever scare people?

T

ThatGirl

I just re-read over the OP.

Since then I have decided "The look" comes down to an instant understanding of how things could occur. When you get the look, it is that someone just realized you are capable of thinking that way. I realize as are you. And a stand off begins. It is a very weird dynamic.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
ThatGirl said:
Have you ever been sitting in a conversation with someone who may spit out something insignificant. But instantly you detatch from the conversation and begin to explore the possible senerios that this sort of comment could come from. Then you say something related to, I dont know, eight degrees of seperation down the original statement but it has nothing to do with them.

Thats when you get the look from the other person. Like you have just seen them naked. And when you see the look, now you know. And they know you know.

If this happens to you a lot, how do you learn to not see? It is very awkward.

I know this may seem redundant to another thread I had started but I have been thinking about it more extensively and I realize that it freaks people out.

Yes, every time, which is partly why I don't really show my intuitive side too often. When I do, the other person has this really cartoonish look of surprise going on, and I just get this amused (I'm pretty sure that's what it must look like) look on my face, since everyone's reaction tends to be the same.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No.

the intensity of my voice and intention scares people, after they've seen how quiet I am.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People seem more scared by my drive to get thing done. I usually keep my intuitions to myself, though, until there is need to share them.

T

ThatGirl

Yes, every time, which is partly why I don't really show my intuitive side too often. When I do, the other person has this really cartoonish look of surprise going on, and I just get this amused (I'm pretty sure that's what it must look like) look on my face, since everyone's reaction tends to be the same.

Hm, amused is an interesting expression there. Are you amused by how predictable people can be?

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hm, amused is an interesting expression there. Are you amused by how predictable people can be?

Pretty much. It's just funny to see the exact same look on everyone's face whenever I do show them a bit of just how intuitive I can be. Also, since it's never a full revelation, at the back of my mind I'm thinking "wow, if that's your reaction to that, I'd love to see your face when I say this". It might also have to do with the fact that I don't seem like I'd be like that to people who meet me in person, since I usually have this extraverted, fun personality when I'm in a social setting.

T

ThatGirl

I understand, how do you decide when you will or will not give an intuitive evaluation? Or do they just arise less often in social settings?

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
I understand, how do you decide when you will or will not give an intuitive evaluation? Or do they just arise less often in social settings?

If I'm going to give an intuitive evaluation, it usually happens whenever I'm having a conversation with one or two other people; it's funny, because I'm almost entirely different based on the number of people around me. If I'm in a big group, I tend to be loud, hyperactive, and pretty much the life of the party; as the group gets smaller and smaller, though, I tend to get more deep and the things I say become more intellectual. Plus, I tend to realize things about the people I'm with, which they don't even realize about themselves; when that happens, that's when I get that weirdly surprised look from people. When it's something they already knew about themselves, they tend to just be happy about it and open up more.

T

ThatGirl

If I'm going to give an intuitive evaluation, it usually happens whenever I'm having a conversation with one or two other people; it's funny, because I'm almost entirely different based on the number of people around me. If I'm in a big group, I tend to be loud, hyperactive, and pretty much the life of the party; as the group gets smaller and smaller, though, I tend to get more deep and the things I say become more intellectual. Plus, I tend to realize things about the people I'm with, which they don't even realize about themselves; when that happens, that's when I get that weirdly surprised look from people. When it's something they already knew about themselves, they tend to just be happy about it and open up more.

Ah. With me it seems to be more that someone is talking and I throw out a joke like, what if, or wouldn't it be funny, or do you think people could....Even if it has nothing to do with them directly.

That's when I get the look. I tend to think they just realized themselves, that yes X is possible. Or, they just realized that I realized X is possible. Or maybe I just lost them. Then it throws me off too, because I didn't expect them to be shocked or take something I said in and relate it to either themselves or me.

Then again, I think like this all the time, so have had to learn discernment in relating these perspectives to other people.

Maybe I just need to keep busier, lol.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ah. With me it seems to be more that someone is talking and I throw out a joke like, what if, or wouldn't it be funny, or do you think people could....Even if it has nothing to do with them directly.

That's when I get the look. I tend to think they just realized themselves, that yes X is possible. Or, they just realized that I realized X is possible. Or maybe I just lost them. Then it throws me off too, because I didn't expect them to be shocked or take something I said in and relate it to either themselves or me.

Then again, I think like this all the time, so have had to learn discernment in relating these perspectives to other people.

Maybe I just need to keep busier, lol.

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I tend to do that a lot; I think the people I know are used to it, though, because they usually just roll with it and try to see where I'm going with it. The best conversations tend to start like that :newwink:. What kind of things do you usually end up saying?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
It definitely doesn't scare anyone. My Ni has that typical crackpottery feel which was well described by Jung - nobody ever believes what I say, even when I'm very very likely to be correct. My Te, on the other hand, can be quite scary.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you ever been sitting in a conversation with someone who may spit out something insignificant. But instantly you detatch from the conversation and begin to explore the possible senerios that this sort of comment could come from. Then you say something related to, I dont know, eight degrees of seperation down the original statement but it has nothing to do with them.

Thats when you get the look from the other person. Like you have just seen them naked. And when you see the look, now you know. And they know you know.

If this happens to you a lot, how do you learn to not see? It is very awkward.

I know this may seem redundant to another thread I had started but I have been thinking about it more extensively and I realize that it freaks people out.

It's so disappointing when this happens - because when I say these "off the wall" (to them, at least) things, I want a bouncy, stimulating discussion and to dig into things a little deeper. But people prefer to stick to the literal topic, or at least relate it in a way that's traceable to them. Otherwise, you get that awkward silence, the raised brow and the "um...ok?" (alternatively: "okayyy...")

Worse, I'm blonde (no, that's not me in the avatar), so people are quick to dismiss it as vapid airheadedness, even if my N leaps are based on solid intent and logic. The worst is when people say how "cute" you are for saying these things. It makes me want to:

maori_cannibalism11.jpg

Even when I was a little kid (under 8), my ESFP mother yelled at me and called me weird for saying "off the wall" things and went on a long rant about how abnormal I was. :doh:

So I learned to contain myself. I think it's why I thought of myself as an S for a while. I sort of force myself to hide my N in polite company. :thinking:

T

ThatGirl

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I tend to do that a lot; I think the people I know are used to it, though, because they usually just roll with it and try to see where I'm going with it. The best conversations tend to start like that :newwink:. What kind of things do you usually end up saying?

Lol, I have been trying to think of an example since I read this, and cannot for some reason.

It's so disappointing when this happens - because when I say these "off the wall" (to them, at least) things, I want a bouncy, stimulating discussion and to dig into things a little deeper. But people prefer to stick to the literal topic, or at least relate it in a way that's traceable to them.

Even when I was a little kid (under 8), my ESFP mother yelled at me and called me weird for saying "off the wall" things and went on a long rant about how abnormal I was. :doh:

So I learned to contain myself. I think it's why I thought of myself as an S for a while. I sort of force myself to hide my N in polite company. :thinking:

Yeah it is kind of hard to contain yourself when you don't really understand what the problem was in the first place.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lol, I have been trying to think of an example since I read this, and cannot for some reason.

Yeah it is kind of hard to contain yourself when you don't really understand what the problem was in the first place.

True. But just as you can never tell which hardboiled egg will crack, you can prevent them from ever cracking by never boiling them.

Unfortunately, for people, cracking them does not open them up. It just makes a mess.

sledgehammer.jpg