• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Does your Intuition ever scare people?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I have a chatroom on IRC that I regularly go to. I remember that one night I decided to start talking about Astrology, and I ended up reading a person's natal chart. After that impetus, everyone in the chatroom began asking me to read their chart, and most of them found it interesting at least, and at the most they thought that what I said was highly accurate. In one situation the birth time was wrong and I gleaned some info on a person based on what I already knew, instead of providing "proper" astrological data. So yeah, after giving people in-depth readings, around 5 or 6, I was pretty tired mentally lol. It's like they attacked me for information, lol!
DO ME DO ME

Sinister Scribe

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
I have a friend who is an INTJ and can read through people with amazing accuracy. It's kind of freaky and he's read my emotional signature way too many times... and I have been told by numerous people that I'm extremely difficult to read. (Although apparently it's easy to tell when I'm really ticked off...)

My intuition lends itself better towards problems and not towards people (possibly a result of extreme introversion), though I've been able to anticipate what other people will do before they do it. Perhaps that's just studying people and predicting what they'll do next, though. There have also been times when I can sense something going on between people - I've never said anything about it (because that's just wierd) - way before it happens. Like two of my acquaintence/friends being romantically involved several months before they actually started dating.

My intuitiveness lends itself better to... inanimate... things. Often I'll be doing math or science homework and know what the answer is without consciously solving the problem. I used to tutor a friend in chemistry and I would read the problem and almost instantly know what the answer would be. Needless to say, it freaked her out.

Gobbledegook

MBTI Type
INTJ
My intuition lends itself better towards problems and not towards people

Yeah, my intuition usually extends much better to math problems than people. There were times my thesis advisor was surprised how I could relate seemingly disparate concepts together.

I can sense certain things about people too (not too well though), like how I've managed to figure out that two of my friends were romantically involved by reading between the lines of a blog post. Lately, though, I've made it my personal mission to develop this better. Trying to understand people might sound like a crazy idea, but I'm sure people can make sense to a certain degree :).

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
my Ne can raise a few eyebrows. i'm not even talking about the times when i want people to get a bit 'ummm... wtf?' about what i say, many times what i think is the next logical step gets people lost. i'm pretty i skip steps in logical reasoning, or at least i don't consciously think about it because those steps are so simple to me just make them automatically. it could be that a entails b, b guarantees c and c along with something we all know from common sense guarantees d for example. i often go straight from a to d and it gets others lost.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
It's neat to read about others' talking about their intuition. It's been something I've learned not to advertise in general public because of some of the reasons mentioned here.

But now and then I "blurt" without thinking and hit something on the head without meaning to and it can get pretty uncomfortable in the room. I know that feeling.

And, I too, wish it were something I had control over but periods of intuition are followed by a sort of dry period with no cause of pattern that I can see.

My sensor husband has known me for a very long time but still has no faith in my intuition though he has seen its accuracy numerous times. That's pretty frustrating to me. Especially if I think something unfortunate is going to happen. I can see it coming and I send out warnings and am left with "I told you sos" in the end. That's something else I now avoid saying in spite of the fact that it feels good to say it!

It's maddening to "know" something and not be able to prove it except by watching it happen.:doh:

When I was in high school and got into higher math I had to intuit it because my math skills are zilch despite extra tutoring. This caused me no end of trouble because in working word math problems I could get the correct answers but had absolutely no idea how I got them so I couldn't show my work and was sometimes accused of cheating. Frustrating.

There is something called MMEs. Micro-Momentary Expressions. They're those little facial expressions of emotion that flit across someone's face so rapidly that many miss them. I seem to be very good at catching these. I know that others' don't like this. The reason they're fast is because you're not supposed to see them, right?

The word schadenfreude which Victor used this week, secret delight in someone else's misfortune, is one I see occasionally and that one will stop me in mid-sentence. That brief, widening flicker in the eyes. . . Creepy.

I won't go into more arcane anecdotes here, although I'd like to. But there's not much sense in doing so, as my experience is that they can be easily explained away with rational thought.

"Telling ghost stories." Ooo-eeee-ooo. And then the teasing starts. . . You all know the drill.

I'm not sure how many of these "coincidences" a person has to rack up before they are considered "psychic, but apparently the number is too high. Heh.

Twixt

MBTI Type
ISTP
As far as intuition scaring folk, mine primarily scares me when I realize I'm wrong about something. The implications of faulty intuition are damn scary.

Same here.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I batter my own intuition over the head with my Ti, it makes it much less scary.

Other peoples' intuition scares me. It's the all-seeing eye.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Something I noticed on an INFP forum I post in is that a great many of the avatars have an emphasis on eyes!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Something I noticed on an INFP forum I post in is that a great many of the avatars have an emphasis on eyes!

Not as many as have cats.....;)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Will you please tell me more about why you feel this way? Thank you.

Because I like my privacy and I don't like having my mind read. NFs have a disconcerting ability to do just that. My sister is uncanny in this regard, I can't hide anything from her. I've met other NFs with similar abilities. I think it's more to do with empathic intuition, than intuition per se.

ConchShell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Anja and Bluemonday,

with cats you can get in a furry creature along with the eyes!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
eww! don't like the sound of THAT at all!

T

ThatGirl

I jut decided to bump this thread, simply because I found it. :D