• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] I can't tell if I'm INTP, ENTJ, or even INTJ/ENTP.

qvercvs

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Hello everyone,
Sorry if my english is broken, but I hope you can understand what I write.
The first time I've taken the test was 9 months ago, and I was identified as an INTP. In those months, I was really motivated with my studies (biology), and learning about stuff was my main interest (the first info about myself: I'm a little bit obsessive about my interests), then I had a short but beautiful relationship with an INTJ girl, and we broke up, because I started to be too dominant, too paternalistic and too critical. I gave her unsolicited advise lots of times. She doesn't want a relationship like that, and neither do I when I think rationally about it.
When it comes to functions, I don't have any deep knoledge about the topic, but i guess thinking is my dominant Jungian function, and it's a little messy. When I talk, even about banal topics, a lot of times I just express my thoughts with a graphic, or a chart, I really like to schedule things, and I think scientific method is actually the only approach to truth. On the other hand, I'm a problem solver, I love to think about a problem, and find the solution using my knowledge about the topic. I tend to create my inner framework to explain things happening on the external world, specially on a philosophical way, about topics like the human being nature.
Intuition it's my second function, I guess, but I dont know if i'm a Ne or a Ni user. As I tend to identify the negative points of things, rather than the positive, I feel myself more identified with the Ni common issues: I'm so analitical, sometimes it's unconfortable for the people around me. I'm too sarcastic (it was stated but most of my friends, my family...) I tend to judge people, and focus on the bad things I see in them. I tend to be focused on the future, and forget my present needs really easily. But I don't know.
About my sensing, I guess I find myself more identified with an extroverted sensor, at the moment I do have thoughts about my past (specially the problems with my ex-girlfriend), but I didn't use to, I really like fast acting when it comes to day-to-day decissions and I love extreme sports, extreme music...
About the feelings, I have almost no empathy, sometimes I'm mean or egoistic, and I have no remorses about it, except when it deals with the few people I love, but i'm really pasionate about everything I do, and so I am when it comes to romantic relationships. So, I guess, Fi it's more important than Fe.
What do you think?
Pedro

Kasia93

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hello, Pedro. Most of what you've indiciated about yourself makes me believe you are a Judger rather than a Perceiver type in MBTI. Words like dominant, paternalistic and likes charts, graphs and schedules are Judger traits. INTPs generally live as much in their head as in the world, so even if they would have an Enneagram 1 in their tritype they probably will not be as organized and precise as you seem to be. Liking extreme sports might indicate some Se. Between INTP and INTJ I wouldn't hesitate to say INTJ.

Here is an excellent video on the differences between INTJ and ENTJ, so that might give you a better understanding of how the cognitive functions work in different orders.

A good comparison between NTPs and NTJs by a fellow ENTJ.

You might not want to rule out the ISTPs and ISTJs automatically. They can be very intelligent and capable people, despite what some NTs might have you believe.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think you might be an INTJ or ISTP.

qvercvs

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Thank you! The videos were really helpful, especially the second one. I find myself very identified with lots of NTJ things, although I try to be more tolerant:
- I'm focused on goals, they are my main motivation, but knowledge for me it's THE goal. I just like to know things, in that NTJish way stated, mastering a topic it's inefficient, I like better just jumping to the next one, and learning new things.
- I really love to win, and I really hate to lose.
- I can't get along well with time inefficient people, for example my father. When we do something together, for example shopping, I just think how we could have made it faster and better, and I get angry(my father is reaaaally time inefficient, maybe it would be too much for most NTPs around there).
- I have the need to be right, and I'm confident when I have to speak in public, and I just focus on making a good exposition, rather than mastering the topic.
On the other hand, with the NTP:
- I tend to overanalyze and overthink things, specially when they are bothering me.
- I can't avoid thinking about things, even when I don't want to. I start to do something, I don't really want to, and in 10 minutes I notice i'm thinking about something, and I'm not really focused on what I'm doing.

I'm almost sure I'm an xNTx, but now I have doubts about it. I have a very strong need to stand out, and I'm very individualistic. So I guess I'm not an ISTJ.
My ex-girlfriend, as I told, is a clearly defined INTJ (we have a really similar language, as the video told, and I have the feeling that with her, I can communicate in another level), he has a typical ISTP friend, and we are sooo different from another. She used to tell me that I was a clearly defined INTP, but I have some traits that are really J, and not P at all. I used to think "we are so similar, we have to have the same MBTI type" but she was almost upset when I pointed out our similarities, I guess she was reinforcing her individuality, for her that is very important.
EDIT: I have read here about the enneagram, so I took the test, and I scored as 5, 8 and 4 at a very similar level. As long as 5 and 8 seem not compatible, I guess my type should be 8w4, or most likely, 5w4.
EDIT2: Now with socionics, I got LIE(ENTJ), but with a likely probability of being ILI(INTP,94%) and LII(INTJ, 70%). So, statistically said, I cannot refuse the null hyphothesis.

Last edited:

Annaifiwas

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
On the other hand, with the NTP:
- I tend to overanalyze and overthink things, specially when they are bothering me.
- I can't avoid thinking about things, even when I don't want to. I start to do something, I don't really want to, and in 10 minutes I notice i'm thinking about something, and I'm not really focused on what I'm doing.

I'm almost sure I'm an xNTx, but now I have doubts about it. I have a very strong need to stand out, and I'm very individualistic.

Lucky you scored high on E4;) That explains that part as well.

So I guess I'm not an ISTJ.
My ex-girlfriend, as I told, is a clearly defined INTJ (we have a really similar language, as the video told, and I have the feeling that with her, I can communicate in another level), he has a typical ISTP friend, and we are sooo different from another. She used to tell me that I was a clearly defined INTP, but I have some traits that are really J, and not P at all. I used to think "we are so similar, we have to have the same MBTI type" but she was almost upset when I pointed out our similarities, I guess she was reinforcing her individuality, for her that is very important.

EDIT: I have read here about the enneagram, so I took the test, and I scored as 5, 8 and 4 at a very similar level. As long as 5 and 8 seem not compatible, I guess my type should be 8w4, or most likely, 5w4.

First I've got to say, you simply cannot be a 8w4. One must choose a wing from one of the numbers beside you core type, meaning either 8w7 or 8w9, if a type 8.
According to what you are saying, there are more J traits than P ones, and like with any human being, absolute preference to a letter is incredibly rare. It is rather impossible, actually! I cannot type E/I on you, but I'd advise you to go with J. I myself am also "suffering" from that attention deficit you also mentioned. It is absolutely normal to space out once in a while, even if the task at hand is important or interesting.

qvercvs

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
5w4
First I've got to say, you simply cannot be a 8w4. One must choose a wing from one of the numbers beside you core type, meaning either 8w7 or 8w9, if a type 8.
According to what you are saying, there are more J traits than P ones, and like with any human being, absolute preference to a letter is incredibly rare. It is rather impossible, actually! I cannot type E/I on you, but I'd advise you to go with J. I myself am also "suffering" from that attention deficit you also mentioned. It is absolutely normal to space out once in a while, even if the task at hand is important or interesting.
Thank you, I didn't know it worked like that. So, I guess i'm an XNTJ 5w4.

Yes, and between E/I i think I'm neutral. Normally when I test I get 52% I, 51%E or something like that. Sometimes, without being sad, or angry, or anything, I just "think" for hours, I don't want to talk even with my friends, and other times I do enjoy talking to people I don't know, at the train station, or wherever. Maybe I'm just an introvert who is not shy at all.

Annaifiwas

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thank you, I didn't know it worked like that. So, I guess i'm an XNTJ 5w4.

Yes, and between E/I i think I'm neutral. Normally when I test I get 52% I, 51%E or something like that. Sometimes, without being sad, or angry, or anything, I just "think" for hours, I don't want to talk even with my friends, and other times I do enjoy talking to people I don't know, at the train station, or wherever. Maybe I'm just an introvert who is not shy at all.

Introverts aren't necessarily shy, and extroverts may be, so that is absolutely possible!:)
If you've studied a bit of socionics, you might already know this, but here we go...

Intuition it's my second function, I guess, but I dont know if i'm a Ne or a Ni user. As I tend to identify the negative points of things, rather than the positive, I feel myself more identified with the Ni common issues: I'm so analitical, sometimes it's unconfortable for the people around me. I'm too sarcastic (it was stated but most of my friends, my family...) I tend to judge people, and focus on the bad things I see in them. I tend to be focused on the future, and forget my present needs really easily. But I don't know.

It seems to me you have actually subconsciously set your mind on a type, but I'll just prove it to you;)

About my sensing, I guess I find myself more identified with an extroverted sensor, at the moment I do have thoughts about my past (specially the problems with my ex-girlfriend), but I didn't use to, I really like fast acting when it comes to day-to-day decissions and I love extreme sports, extreme music...

Se indeed, my friend:) Getting closer to ENTJ...

About the feelings, I have almost no empathy, sometimes I'm mean or egoistic, and I have no remorses about it, except when it deals with the few people I love, but i'm really pasionate about everything I do, and so I am when it comes to romantic relationships. So, I guess, Fi it's more important than Fe.

This also emphasizes your T.
Again, you are assuming Fi, that indicates ENTJ as well.

Dear Pedro, I think it is safe to type you as an ENTJ. Now, not all ENTJs are so-called "dictators". Some, like me, because of good use of Ni (as you can see by my socionics subtype), relate better to that pleasant boss one might even be friends with. So look at the subtypes for socionics as well. You're either a Ni or Te, and as an ENTJ, your socionics type will be ENTj.
Getting into the instinctual variants is also a plus. I see you've already gone with 5w4, which sort of makes up for us typing you as an ENTJ. I mean it is crucial to look at the functions in MBTI, that helped me going for E instead of I when having come to XNTJ:)

qvercvs

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Nice answer! Thank you! Since I'm being typed as an ENTJ by every test, and you type me as an ENTJ aswell, I think I will accept it. Yes, I think that's the point on MBTI, the types have no inherent bad characteristics.