• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] How to cheer up an INTJ gal?

silensnoxnocti

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey all. ISFJ (borderline INFJ) guy here. I've been getting along very well with an INTJ gal I'm interested in dating, who is also interested in dating me. We are wanting to take things slow and get to know each other. However, when something pisses her off or bothers her (nothing I did so far thankfully), I'm unsure how I can best cheer her up. My natural protector instincts want to kick in and treat her to food, take care of her, or something. I've only known her for a few weeks so I understand I have little to go on, but it would be nice to get some insight from other female INTJs on what I can best do to help in those situations.

Can anyone offer some info? I realize that ISFJ/INTJ pairings aren't supposed to work well, but so far we both realy like each other. Same hobbies, interests, sense of humor, etc. As a supportive individual, I just want to know how I can best help her when she's not having a good day.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm actually really curious to what hobbies you guys have in common.

silensnoxnocti

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We are both quite into gaming, comics, animals, and books. Plus we have the same sense of humor. She said she was an INTJ, but part of me wonders if that's slightly off

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Foot massages, Fla-Vor-Ice (lime) and Sports Center. This is my ENFJ's method for dealing with me. I have no idea if it works for other people but I like it.

silensnoxnocti

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well only trouble is that I haven't broken down that defensive wall completely yet. Neither of us have been to the other's house for a date. We're taking things slow to get to know one another better. Is there anything I can do in the meantime until she lets me close enough to do those nice things for her? Would giving her time and space be the best choice here?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Well only trouble is that I haven't broken down that defensive wall completely yet. Neither of us have been to the other's house for a date. We're taking things slow to get to know one another better. Is there anything I can do in the meantime until she lets me close enough to do those nice things for her? Would giving her time and space be the best choice here?

Why don't you invite her over? You like gaming, couldn't you do that? Maybe get dinner?

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hey all. ISFJ (borderline INFJ) guy here. I've been getting along very well with an INTJ gal I'm interested in dating, who is also interested in dating me. We are wanting to take things slow and get to know each other. However, when something pisses her off or bothers her (nothing I did so far thankfully), I'm unsure how I can best cheer her up. My natural protector instincts want to kick in and treat her to food, take care of her, or something. I've only known her for a few weeks so I understand I have little to go on, but it would be nice to get some insight from other female INTJs on what I can best do to help in those situations.

Can anyone offer some info? I realize that ISFJ/INTJ pairings aren't supposed to work well, but so far we both realy like each other. Same hobbies, interests, sense of humor, etc. As a supportive individual, I just want to know how I can best help her when she's not having a good day.

So listen to her without prying too much into what's bothering her unless she wants to tell you. The tertiary Fi in INTJs will make someone wanting to 'help' seem disingenuous and the fact that you're a dude it may come off like you're trying to 'fix' something to her which can rub the prideful INTJ the wrong way. INTJs are fiercely independent and don't always need a shoulder to cry on as much as a world to burn. :newwink:

Do nothing unless asked to.

silensnoxnocti

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I should note that our first date was a great success and we kissed. Since then, I've invited her out a few times, and each time though something has come up. Which, I know, makes it sound like she isn't interested, which is why I'm honestly not sure how to interpret that. We're still friends on FB (not that THAT is really indicative of anything) so I don't think it's that she doesn't want anything to do with me. If she didn't I'm pretty sure she'd have removed me and not responded to any of my messages over the last few weeks. I'm get the feeling that she's a gal who may be afraid or unsure of wanting to try again with dating. Like, she's got a big wall up that she's built based on past experiences or hurt, and the uncertainty of putting herself in that position again might scare her of something.

All I would like to do is help her take down that wall and show her that it's okay. So far all I've done is let her know if something is bugging her that I'm willing to listen if she would like to discuss it, and left it at that. I felt that letting her decide was the best call to make. Is there anything else I could do?

Cleo10

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
This is totally just my perspective as a very strong INTJ woman of nearly 50.
There may or may not be past hurts or a significant wall because of such. INTJs have a natural wall anyway - of sorts. We are guarded in our relationships until we are very sure of our footing. Two significant factors of analysis and emotional drain may be at work here which mean you need to give her two significant things of time to sort it out and distance to focus.

First, analysis - which she is most likely doing on a subconscious and intuitive level without any doubt, but if she is really into you, she is also doing on a very conscious level. A lot of re-playing of conversations, body-language, etc. is going on while she tries to make all the logic fit the feelings because we INTJs have to do that. As women, we have this paradox of high-level analysis and logic that has to find a balance with our hearts. Our heads and emotions have to come to agreement, and this takes time because it often is not a conscious effort as much as an internal struggle. We cannot make a decision based on emotion no matter how strong the emotion happens to be. The emotion has to fit the logic. So... give her time to sort it out. Once she has worked through it, if she's good on all levels about having a further relationship with you, she will probably respond or even initiate it.

Second, emotional drain - if she has a lot of things going on in her life, especially if it is "drama" of any type, she does not have the mental or emotional energy to spend on a budding relationship. If problems have arisen in her life, that is mind-consuming. As an INTJ, if a BIG, emotional thing is in my life, that is ALL that is in my brain. The emotional drain is an even bigger deal if there is "drama" in her life. So... give her distance (space), but keep the lines of communication open to let her know you are still interested. Once the drama has passed, she may have time to bring you into focus and spend her mental and emotional energy on building a relationship.

Be a bit OBVIOUS about your interest, but do not push. She needs to feel secure in knowing that if she puts herself out there you won't reject her. INTJs seem really confident because we rehearse everything a million times in our brains, but we do not always act those things out if we are unsure they will not work out like we rehearsed them. We can't stand to look stupid, especially when relationships are involved. Being embarrassed in some way will kill it, so look out for that. If you want to give her something to show you care, make it practical, something you know she likes, but not silly/sweet. My husband (of 29 years) is super romantic, but I'm not. He loves to give me flowers, but he alternates those with house or garden plants because I think flowers are impractical and a waste of money. (I'm a gardener.) See where I'm going with that?

Well... best of luck. I hope that helps you out. -CLEO

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Find her dualmate.

supersleuth

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm an INTJ female and my best friend is an ISFJ female. Not exactly the same situation, but close enough :)

When I'm feeling down or out of sorts, and my ISFJ offers to do things for me, like make me food or take me to the bookstore, it really helps. Seriously, I love it when she goes out of her way to do things for me. It shows me that she really cares about me without having to say anything. Of course I don't expect that kind of treatment, but it's really nice when it happens and makes me really thankful for her.

In summation: I really would rather not talk about my problems. Distracting me from them with your actions of love is much more effective :D

Libra_Rising

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
One of my cousins (he's ESFJ) was with an INTJ for many years. I can understand why an F male would see some fascination with an INTJ female, even if they're difficult, rigid, and socially awkward. How to cheer them up? You can't. How they feel is up to them and hard to make them budge.

Dolce vita

MBTI Type
INFJ
Diversion. Road trip, day trip, restaurant or movie. Or whatever hobby diverts them do it w them. They cheer right up. I grew up with INTJ parents and brother. What hell for an INFJ like me. All those darn ridiculous expressions of anger, love, rage, affection....I mean really? Who needs that stuff??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of my cousins (he's ESFJ) was with an INTJ for many years. I can understand why an F male would see some fascination with an INTJ female, even if they're difficult, rigid, and socially awkward. How to cheer them up? You can't. How they feel is up to them and hard to make them budge.

i am puzzled as to what makes intj difficult... i find them to be very easy to understand and communicate with (in most cases)...

------------------------

i think that one of the best ways to keep an intj happy is to discuss ideas, acknowledge their strengths, reference prior conversations in a current one (if it adds to the conversation), and provide real and practical help (such as offering food, or performing tasks)... basically i think the best thing to do is keep their mind busy until they feel like bringing the problem up on their own (at which point solution based responses are well received)...

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You match with her knowledge and make her learn something she hasn't ever heard before.