User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 13

  1. #1
    Senior Member D'Ascoyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    231

    Question Calling all self-confirmed, tried, true, long-term xNTP & xSFJ

    [Cross-posting here for the xNTPs]

    Dear tried and true, long-term Ti+Si and Si+Ti users,

    Thanks for coming.

    What is it like for you to use these functions? Please describe the combination in as much concrete detail as possible. I'm not turning up any descriptions online that are to my intellectual satisfaction and I'd really prefer to hear thoughts of what these two functions are like in action.

    In my mind, I imagine using Ti+Si/Si+Ti must be like having an electronic library catalogue system of call numbers, finding the stack, the shelf, the book(s), flipping it open, then being able to refer to the information at hand. But that's just a figment of my imagination.

    What is it like for you?

  2. #2
    Member Libra_Rising's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ISTp None
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Well, I've been an ENTP since my late teens when I took a series of tests. Recently, I took another test and I'm still ENTP, except, probably much more developed than before. The primary function is Extroverted Intuition, which isn't exactly easy to describe in concrete terms, but I'll try to give a general explanation. Basically, information is picked up from the external environment based off of observations and subtle cues. It wouldn't be much of a stretch if I said that information is absorbed via osmosis. Also, I think the analogy of electronic library system isn't in tuned with Perceiving function, because P signifies being open-ended and unstructured.
    Likes D'Ascoyne liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member D'Ascoyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Libra_Rising View Post
    Well, I've been an ENTP since my late teens when I took a series of tests. Recently, I took another test and I'm still ENTP, except, probably much more developed than before. The primary function is Extroverted Intuition, which isn't exactly easy to describe in concrete terms, but I'll try to give a general explanation. Basically, information is picked up from the external environment based off of observations and subtle cues. It wouldn't be much of a stretch if I said that information is absorbed via osmosis. Also, I think the analogy of electronic library system isn't in tuned with Perceiving function, because P signifies being open-ended and unstructured.
    Cool, thanks for your reply! (And Welcome to TC!)

    How would you describe your process in somewhat (if at all possible) more concrete imagery? The electronic library system is just something I made up to try and ground my understanding of how those functions might work. I am clueless!

  4. #4
    Super Ape Luke O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    954
    Posts
    1,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D'Ascoyne View Post
    [Cross-posting here for the xNTPs]

    Dear tried and true, long-term Ti+Si and Si+Ti users,

    Thanks for coming.

    What is it like for you to use these functions? Please describe the combination in as much concrete detail as possible. I'm not turning up any descriptions online that are to my intellectual satisfaction and I'd really prefer to hear thoughts of what these two functions are like in action.

    In my mind, I imagine using Ti+Si/Si+Ti must be like having an electronic library catalogue system of call numbers, finding the stack, the shelf, the book(s), flipping it open, then being able to refer to the information at hand. But that's just a figment of my imagination.

    What is it like for you?
    I was thinking recently that using Ti+Si must be like a human SQL query. So basically the same thing as that thing you said.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    3

    Default

    D'asycone.

    INTP here.

    Si+Ti work so seamlessly together that it's hard to always tell them apart. Your description is pretty fit, though.


    Ne and Fe look for patterns that "feel" right. Si takes that disorganized mess and refines it, putting it into neat clean categories, resembling books. Ti simply picks the books off the shelf, reads them, and then puts them back until he finds something he likes. Once he does he proceeds to use other books, which consist of older information, and seeks to integrate them in a way that best resembles the original feeling evoked by Fe and Ne working in more or less arbitrary collusion.

    Once Ti has traced the facts back in such a way that reproducing them in reality is easily achieved, Fe has authorization to get really excited and act childishly, for a few minutes at least.

    But Ni is pretty much a really efficient and hot librarian that does whatever you ask and never screws anything up.

    Ti also likes to criticize the other functions for their apparent inefficiency. Oftentimes Ti needs to settle down as he only gets to be the quarter-back by standing on the equally important, but less glamorous work, of the other functions which more or less selflessly help him even though he demands 100% efficiency and is kind of an asshole.
    Likes D'Ascoyne, Snickie liked this post

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Libra,

    I like the way you described Ne as osmosis. That seems to be right on the money, in my experience. I would say the librarian analogy goes for Si (for me at least) when it's working for Ti. But when Si is off duty, I apprehend, it's much more whimsical and open to almost anything, as you have said.
    Likes D'Ascoyne, Libra_Rising liked this post

  7. #7
    Senior Member D'Ascoyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teleologist View Post
    D'asycone.

    INTP here.

    Si+Ti work so seamlessly together that it's hard to always tell them apart. Your description is pretty fit, though.


    Ne and Fe look for patterns that "feel" right. Si takes that disorganized mess and refines it, putting it into neat clean categories, resembling books. Ti simply picks the books off the shelf, reads them, and then puts them back until he finds something he likes. Once he does he proceeds to use other books, which consist of older information, and seeks to integrate them in a way that best resembles the original feeling evoked by Fe and Ne working in more or less arbitrary collusion.


    Once Ti has traced the facts back in such a way that reproducing them in reality is easily achieved, Fe has authorization to get really excited and act childishly, for a few minutes at least.

    But Ni is pretty much a really efficient and hot librarian that does whatever you ask and never screws anything up.

    Ti also likes to criticize the other functions for their apparent inefficiency. Oftentimes Ti needs to settle down as he only gets to be the quarter-back by standing on the equally important, but less glamorous work, of the other functions which more or less selflessly help him even though he demands 100% efficiency and is kind of an asshole.
    Teleogist (so true to your name),

    Thank you so much, this is incredibly enlightening and interesting! The bolded is particularly fascinating, and the bold & underlined doubly so. Which function/function pair would you link up with the seeking of older information. Seems quite like Si domain, though I wonder if it's more Ti...?

  8. #8
    Member Libra_Rising's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ISTp None
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D'Ascoyne View Post
    Cool, thanks for your reply! (And Welcome to TC!)

    How would you describe your process in somewhat (if at all possible) more concrete imagery? The electronic library system is just something I made up to try and ground my understanding of how those functions might work. I am clueless!
    Keeping with the started "library" analogy, I would say that the electronic library is most aptly suited for xSTJ (organized and concrete), whereas, xNTJ is something more along the lines of specialized information such as a Research Science Library. ENTP specifically would be more along the lines of the librarian in any of those libraries. We have the mental capacity to flex and absorb bits and pieces of information floating around and we do some leg work to put back the information where we found it. We also tend to desire to help others out, within reasonable capacity, so we'll assist those who seek information with pairing the seeker to the source. ENTP is a bridge between the information and the people. But how much information we give out is up to our individual discretion.

    We're not the leaders of the world, and we're not center stage like Romeo/Juliet, or master schemers like Tywin Lannister, but we're the people who are entrusted to keep the information safe and sound...until the most opportune time comes, much like Mercurio and Tyrion Lannister. We're relaxed and appear as if we're deranged, goofy, or even careless to the outside world (like Garfield the cat), but inside, we know we're the keepers of the information and we only reveal what is necessary. There's more of ENTP of the Machiavellian variety than there are of the Alexander the Great (thank goodness).

    ENTP comes in at a very close 2nd to ENFP as having a deep understanding their environment, more so than any other type, i.e. psychological surroundings. Because of the P, we flex when the time comes, but we're always observing what the conditions are, which is why ENTP is selective when revealing the information they possess. A lot of the time, ENTP gives off the appearance of letting the flood gates open, but that's just for show. It's a better advantage that ENTP has over others if they allow others to think they know more than the ENTP because the ENTP is able to pick up information on a deeper level, below the surface, at a much more fluid level than other types. As I said before, we're Machiavelli, not Cesare Borgia.
    Likes D'Ascoyne liked this post

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2

    Default

    hi new INTP here. in 50 something so quite developed as INTP which I test as consistently. (my I and P are lowish)

    I always thought I was like a slow analogue computer . I just process row after row of data, vertically, horizontally and every which way using my Ti until I find the one that I want or the missing piece or the one that is sequenced incorrectly with my Si so that I can make sense of everything.

    I am constantly in my head...

    hope this makes sense.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Babybop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    MBTI
    beep
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D'Ascoyne View Post
    [Cross-posting here for the xNTPs]

    Dear tried and true, long-term Ti+Si and Si+Ti users,

    Thanks for coming.

    What is it like for you to use these functions? Please describe the combination in as much concrete detail as possible. I'm not turning up any descriptions online that are to my intellectual satisfaction and I'd really prefer to hear thoughts of what these two functions are like in action.

    In my mind, I imagine using Ti+Si/Si+Ti must be like having an electronic library catalogue system of call numbers, finding the stack, the shelf, the book(s), flipping it open, then being able to refer to the information at hand. But that's just a figment of my imagination.

    What is it like for you?
    Using Ti+Si makes me very analytical and critical of others. I make quick judgments about others based on patterns I pick up in behaviors, physical traits, etc. A lot of people see this as stereotyping, but my judgments are right more often than not :P the combination also makes me somewhat uncomfortable about new experiences; I dislike when I can't analyze/visualize something ahead of time.
    Previous username: EliaBlack
    Likes D'Ascoyne liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFJ] Calling all ENFJs!
    By Littlelostnf in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-22-2018, 04:50 AM
  2. [ISFJ] Calling all self-confirmed, tried, true, long-term xNTP & xSFJ
    By D'Ascoyne in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2016, 12:19 AM
  3. [JCF] Calling all self-confirmed, tried, true, long-term xNTP & xSFJ
    By D'Ascoyne in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2016, 05:57 PM
  4. Self Confirmed Celebrity Types
    By quietgirl in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-28-2015, 05:51 PM
  5. [MBTItm] Calling all shoppers...
    By Sandy in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 11-26-2007, 05:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO