• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Calling all self-confirmed, tried, true, long-term xNTP & xSFJ

D'Ascoyne

[Cross-posting here for the xNTPs]

Dear tried and true, long-term Ti+Si and Si+Ti users,

Thanks for coming.

What is it like for you to use these functions? Please describe the combination in as much concrete detail as possible. I'm not turning up any descriptions online that are to my intellectual satisfaction and I'd really prefer to hear thoughts of what these two functions are like in action.

In my mind, I imagine using Ti+Si/Si+Ti must be like having an electronic library catalogue system of call numbers, finding the stack, the shelf, the book(s), flipping it open, then being able to refer to the information at hand. But that's just a figment of my imagination.

What is it like for you?

Libra_Rising

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Well, I've been an ENTP since my late teens when I took a series of tests. Recently, I took another test and I'm still ENTP, except, probably much more developed than before. The primary function is Extroverted Intuition, which isn't exactly easy to describe in concrete terms, but I'll try to give a general explanation. Basically, information is picked up from the external environment based off of observations and subtle cues. It wouldn't be much of a stretch if I said that information is absorbed via osmosis. Also, I think the analogy of electronic library system isn't in tuned with Perceiving function, because P signifies being open-ended and unstructured.

D'Ascoyne

Well, I've been an ENTP since my late teens when I took a series of tests. Recently, I took another test and I'm still ENTP, except, probably much more developed than before. The primary function is Extroverted Intuition, which isn't exactly easy to describe in concrete terms, but I'll try to give a general explanation. Basically, information is picked up from the external environment based off of observations and subtle cues. It wouldn't be much of a stretch if I said that information is absorbed via osmosis. Also, I think the analogy of electronic library system isn't in tuned with Perceiving function, because P signifies being open-ended and unstructured.

Cool, thanks for your reply! (And Welcome to TC!)

How would you describe your process in somewhat (if at all possible) more concrete imagery? The electronic library system is just something I made up to try and ground my understanding of how those functions might work. I am clueless!

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

Thanks for coming.

What is it like for you to use these functions? Please describe the combination in as much concrete detail as possible. I'm not turning up any descriptions online that are to my intellectual satisfaction and I'd really prefer to hear thoughts of what these two functions are like in action.

In my mind, I imagine using Ti+Si/Si+Ti must be like having an electronic library catalogue system of call numbers, finding the stack, the shelf, the book(s), flipping it open, then being able to refer to the information at hand. But that's just a figment of my imagination.

What is it like for you?

I was thinking recently that using Ti+Si must be like a human SQL query. So basically the same thing as that thing you said.

Teleologist

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
D'asycone.

INTP here.

Si+Ti work so seamlessly together that it's hard to always tell them apart. Your description is pretty fit, though.

Ne and Fe look for patterns that "feel" right. Si takes that disorganized mess and refines it, putting it into neat clean categories, resembling books. Ti simply picks the books off the shelf, reads them, and then puts them back until he finds something he likes. Once he does he proceeds to use other books, which consist of older information, and seeks to integrate them in a way that best resembles the original feeling evoked by Fe and Ne working in more or less arbitrary collusion.

Once Ti has traced the facts back in such a way that reproducing them in reality is easily achieved, Fe has authorization to get really excited and act childishly, for a few minutes at least.

But Ni is pretty much a really efficient and hot librarian that does whatever you ask and never screws anything up.

Ti also likes to criticize the other functions for their apparent inefficiency. Oftentimes Ti needs to settle down as he only gets to be the quarter-back by standing on the equally important, but less glamorous work, of the other functions which more or less selflessly help him even though he demands 100% efficiency and is kind of an asshole.

Teleologist

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Libra,

I like the way you described Ne as osmosis. That seems to be right on the money, in my experience. I would say the librarian analogy goes for Si (for me at least) when it's working for Ti. But when Si is off duty, I apprehend, it's much more whimsical and open to almost anything, as you have said.

D'Ascoyne

D'asycone.

INTP here.

Si+Ti work so seamlessly together that it's hard to always tell them apart. Your description is pretty fit, though.

Ne and Fe look for patterns that "feel" right. Si takes that disorganized mess and refines it, putting it into neat clean categories, resembling books. Ti simply picks the books off the shelf, reads them, and then puts them back until he finds something he likes. Once he does he proceeds to use other books, which consist of older information, and seeks to integrate them in a way that best resembles the original feeling evoked by Fe and Ne working in more or less arbitrary collusion.

Once Ti has traced the facts back in such a way that reproducing them in reality is easily achieved, Fe has authorization to get really excited and act childishly, for a few minutes at least.

But Ni is pretty much a really efficient and hot librarian that does whatever you ask and never screws anything up.

Ti also likes to criticize the other functions for their apparent inefficiency. Oftentimes Ti needs to settle down as he only gets to be the quarter-back by standing on the equally important, but less glamorous work, of the other functions which more or less selflessly help him even though he demands 100% efficiency and is kind of an asshole.

Teleogist (so true to your name),

Thank you so much, this is incredibly enlightening and interesting! The bolded is particularly fascinating, and the bold & underlined doubly so. Which function/function pair would you link up with the seeking of older information. Seems quite like Si domain, though I wonder if it's more Ti...?

Libra_Rising

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Cool, thanks for your reply! (And Welcome to TC!)

How would you describe your process in somewhat (if at all possible) more concrete imagery? The electronic library system is just something I made up to try and ground my understanding of how those functions might work. I am clueless!

Keeping with the started "library" analogy, I would say that the electronic library is most aptly suited for xSTJ (organized and concrete), whereas, xNTJ is something more along the lines of specialized information such as a Research Science Library. ENTP specifically would be more along the lines of the librarian in any of those libraries. We have the mental capacity to flex and absorb bits and pieces of information floating around and we do some leg work to put back the information where we found it. We also tend to desire to help others out, within reasonable capacity, so we'll assist those who seek information with pairing the seeker to the source. ENTP is a bridge between the information and the people. But how much information we give out is up to our individual discretion.

We're not the leaders of the world, and we're not center stage like Romeo/Juliet, or master schemers like Tywin Lannister, but we're the people who are entrusted to keep the information safe and sound...until the most opportune time comes, much like Mercurio and Tyrion Lannister. We're relaxed and appear as if we're deranged, goofy, or even careless to the outside world (like Garfield the cat), but inside, we know we're the keepers of the information and we only reveal what is necessary. There's more of ENTP of the Machiavellian variety than there are of the Alexander the Great (thank goodness).

ENTP comes in at a very close 2nd to ENFP as having a deep understanding their environment, more so than any other type, i.e. psychological surroundings. Because of the P, we flex when the time comes, but we're always observing what the conditions are, which is why ENTP is selective when revealing the information they possess. A lot of the time, ENTP gives off the appearance of letting the flood gates open, but that's just for show. It's a better advantage that ENTP has over others if they allow others to think they know more than the ENTP because the ENTP is able to pick up information on a deeper level, below the surface, at a much more fluid level than other types. As I said before, we're Machiavelli, not Cesare Borgia.

intuit888

MBTI Type
INTP
hi new INTP here. in 50 something so quite developed as INTP which I test as consistently. (my I and P are lowish)

I always thought I was like a slow analogue computer . I just process row after row of data, vertically, horizontally and every which way using my Ti until I find the one that I want or the missing piece or the one that is sequenced incorrectly with my Si so that I can make sense of everything.

I am constantly in my head...

hope this makes sense.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Thanks for coming.

What is it like for you?

Using Ti+Si makes me very analytical and critical of others. I make quick judgments about others based on patterns I pick up in behaviors, physical traits, etc. A lot of people see this as stereotyping, but my judgments are right more often than not :p the combination also makes me somewhat uncomfortable about new experiences; I dislike when I can't analyze/visualize something ahead of time.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx

What is it like for you?

Having Si at the inferior position in the stack can become draining. When you described your Si as being like an electronic library mine is more like an old rolodex that's scribbled on and only semi organized. If "Si" is like a professional basketball game and dominant/aux Si users are like NBA/NCAA basketball players, then in the Si game I'm like the short sweaty fat kid on the court trying to keep up with the pros.

My Ti is way more attuned to my Ne and I know that's true for INTPs too but it's drastically more true for me. When I try to organize my 'rolodex' or pretend practice as a short fat kid for a pro basketball game it's taxing my energy to put it mildly. Concrete example? At work there are several documented procedures that have to be followed like certain standards. Ideally they would like everyone to follow things perfectly but that doesn't work for me. I use the procedures as guidelines they establish "boundaries" of what I can do. I understand the logical reasoning behind the procedures but then take that understanding and apply it to my own custom method of doing things. I just make sure I meet the minimum requirements but then allow myself to have the freedom to improvise.

I basically see things like procedures and standards as largely hindrances, particularly if they restrict the freedom to improvise, where as someone with better Si would see them as hugely useful such as my ISFJ colleague. It's all in perception. I recognize why standards exist especially since we work on life saving medical devices. In my view they are a deterrent for incompetent people.

D'Ascoyne

Many thanks to all for sharing! Hope you'll keep on doing as the thoughts come to you. I'm very interested in these two functions so am trying to learn as much as I can.

iWin

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
It wouldn't be much of a stretch if I said that information is absorbed via osmosis.

This nails it for me at least. I don't ask myself, "where have I seen something similar?," rather I immediately see similarities everywhere that are generally related to prior strategies to reach some end-goal. "Osmosis" fits because, for me, I do not consciously try to do this... it just happens.

A weakness, as my good friend once described, is that I appear to have "selective memory." I can recall quite detailed observations related to my current observations, so long as the prior observations were material to some prior analysis / strategy. If not, it is difficult for me to recall, and I may not actively "observe" the detail until actively spending energy to do so.

On the job, when I need to go into detail mode, it's coffee time with fast-paced music to get me energized. When I force myself to dredge through detail though, it's amazing how past observations just pop into my head.