• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How do you feel about emotional appeal as a persuasive method?

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if this is an NT thing or just a personal thing, but I can't stand the use of emotional appeal. I don't even know why; I guess it just seems manipulative.

I remember watching documentaries in high school about inequality, poverty, etc. Of course I care about these issues, but when they're presented in a way that's specifically designed to make you feel bad, I become very unsympathetic. It becomes much worse if someone claims that it will "make us think," because the idea isn't to get us to think. The idea is to persuade us using a purely emotional method.

Because I'm terrible at explaining things, I'll use an example.

If I see a homeless person on the street, I'm going to feel empathy and/or sympathy for them and there's about a 90% chance I'll either give them money or food. If I'm watching a documentary on homelessness and why we should all care about it, complete with sad background music and lots of tearful interviews, it just pisses me off. I think I dislike the idea of being told how I should feel.

Can anyone relate?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if this is an NT thing or just a personal thing, but I can't stand the use of emotional appeal. I don't even know why; I guess it just seems manipulative.

I remember watching documentaries in high school about inequality, poverty, etc. Of course I care about these issues, but when they're presented in a way that's specifically designed to make you feel bad, I become very unsympathetic. It becomes much worse if someone claims that it will "make us think," because the idea isn't to get us to think. The idea is to persuade us using a purely emotional method.

Because I'm terrible at explaining things, I'll use an example.

If I see a homeless person on the street, I'm going to feel empathy and/or sympathy for them and there's about a 90% chance I'll either give them money or food. If I'm watching a documentary on homelessness and why we should all care about it, complete with sad background music and lots of tearful interviews, it just pisses me off. I think I dislike the idea of being told how I should feel.

Can anyone relate?
Yes, and I agree. I have no respect for emotional appeals, except occasionally in personal situations (e.g. a friend asks me to go along with something just to humor him). To me, that is a lazy appeal. It is what people do when they are unable or unwilling to present their case using facts and reason. It also comes across as manipulative. I know, sadly, that many people are susceptible to emotional appeals, so in this sense I acknowledge their effectiveness in certain cases. But I personally would use something like this only as a last resort in a dire situation, i.e. when I was willing to resort to manipulation.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Weird.

To me there is a way to do this right and one to do this so, so wrong.

The moment that most effort goes into the construction of the emotional appeal with strategising for maximum impact, how to jerk the most tears and how to get as many celebrities as possible on board, I'm out and roll my eyes.

However, I very much respond and rely on emotional messaging that is authentic, from the heart and utterly genuine in its message. It may have been strategised for maximum effect, but that part was done to support the genuine story, the actual message and is only a supporting tool - kind of like a writer who learns who to maximise their audience's investment into their amazing story. Without that amazing story though, it's just empty packaging.

This is no different.

The story is what matters. The message is what matters. And that needs to be impeccable, raw, genuine, integral and true for it to provoke a genuine emotional response in the audience - for it to tap into their empathy.

If it gets overwritten, too structured or overly promoted, it feels fake instantly because it has lost sight of what is truly important.

It especially has that effect when people are told what to do and not shown what the situation is so they can reach that conclusion themselves.

The first rule of good writing = show, don't tell

Break it, and lose your audience forever.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
If what you seek is truth rather than comfort: it sucks

Because everyone has feelings, it doesn't make it reliable or correct.
Any argument should be something you can back up with facts and logic, feelings are too self-referential.

Emotional appeals often work because they leverage existing bias. But the very thing about arguments is that, to be constructive, it should move beyond bias.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
It takes virtually no effort to make the emotional appeal so if that's all you have in your persuasion game, it's not going to work. If I get a passive-aggressive, how I should feel message in that emotional appeal, not only will it not work, I will likely never pay attention to another word you say.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I admire when people put on a performance, and for me, emotional appeal falls into that category.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Not an NT, but I've also always disliked emotional appeals. It seems to be one of the reasons my ethics class makes me internally eyeroll a lot. I have to pretend to care.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As an NF, I can't stand them.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
people dislike it overt yet still succumb to the subtle.

neutrally effective. effectively neutral.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Emotions are one part of a big picture. I usually judgebthe emotional appeal with the topic and come up with a conclusion. May end up not caring, or may end up caring alot. Sometimes I end up, it's their stupid ass that put them in that situation. Depends on person, situation, etc.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It takes virtually no effort to make the emotional appeal so if that's all you have in your persuasion game, it's not going to work. If I get a passive-aggressive, how I should feel message in that emotional appeal, not only will it not work, I will likely never pay attention to another word you say.

I agree with this, and feel slightly compelled to add the caveat that there's a difference between someone's tone being polluted with it (inadvertently, because they didn't take the time or don't know how to sterilize what they're saying) and someone intentionally (whilst likely unconsciously) applying pressure in this regard in hopes it'll have appeal. The latter is the kind of thing that shuts off my empathy, and I'll actually have to start ignoring the person because it causes such a nasty visceral reaction in me. But the former- sometimes it's just clumsiness and not realizing that *emotion* is bleeding through; it's not done to have an effect, so much as it happens because the person just isn't being careful about the effect their tone might have.

It's kind of like having someone pass you some change from their pocket with clusters of lint in it: I'm not going to reject the coins just because they're mixed with lint, but I won't accept the lint as coin.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I was younger, I disliked it immensely. I think this is inferior Fe territory.

Now, I weigh the sentiment behind it...

Why is this person utilizing this method? Manipulation? Frustration? What is behind it? It's an extra thought process and that is more work for me. I prefer it that you give me the facts then let me decide how I feel about it. That is my preferred method of operation but life doesn't give you things the way you want it.

Just because it is an emotional appeal doesn't mean it should be discarded for that reason alone. It usually invites me to look up information on my own. Play detective about the situation.

Feelings are subjective but you can play with facts to suit your objective. So they both can be twisted. I just see it as a comfort level with how people prefer being approached to think about a topic.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
^OP, I feel just the same. Over the years I've learned to roll eyes over this kind of appeal instead of getting angry.

There's exception to this rule though. If I've found out some kind of emotional response is what I want, I lower my barriers and let the content affect me. I have a utilitarian view towards emotions. If it directs my unconscious or involuntary actions towards something I've planned, I'm ok.

It could be done other way as well: mentally blocking the intellectual content of some message and just allowing the emotion to kick in. I've done this to some extent in the past, but I couldn't live with all the things I felt for. For me, thinking and knowledge is my sustenance, and emotion is the flavor. So yeah, I accept feelings if they are valid. Believe it or not, I sometimes watch sad movies and cry. There's a story of injustice, I feel for the characters, and I cry. I wouldn't cry tho if the movie made a bad case of "injustice", i.e. if the laws of justice and injustice presented in the movie wouldn't appeal to me on a factual, logical basis. But yeah, if some presentation goes along my lines of thought, I become accepting of it's emotional appeals as well.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think most isfp's are really put-off by any kind of emotional reaction that doesn't occur spontaneously or organically. So I would reject it outright, based on the obvious attempt to manipulate my feelings. But then, I began to realize that just because someone chooses to arrive at their view emotionally, and drag me into it, doesn't mean the position itself has no reason or value. I may even hold values and feelings for it, but I am shutting them down because of the attempt to control or direct them.

So the bottom line is, I realized that in reacting against it I was still allowing it to influence me.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds like we might as well go ahead and call this the anti-Fe thread. I knew there was a reason I don't like the majority of SFJs. Fe combined with Si is just...... :ranting:

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Emotional appeal can be effectively. However, emotional appeal can't be used constantly or else it will turn people off similar like OP's reaction. Emotional appeal has be used scarcely.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The story is what matters. The message is what matters. And that needs to be impeccable, raw, genuine, integral and true for it to provoke a genuine emotional response in the audience - for it to tap into their empathy.

If it gets overwritten, too structured or overly promoted, it feels fake instantly because it has lost sight of what is truly important.

It especially has that effect when people are told what to do and not shown what the situation is so they can reach that conclusion themselves.

The first rule of good writing = show, don't tell

Break it, and lose your audience forever.
Show me the wrong thing without giving me the information I need to make a rational decision, and you will lose me until you clean up your act. Yes, I can see pictures or videos of how hard life is for people in refugee camps, for instance, but if the pitch is for me to contribute to some charity trying to help them, I want to know things like: how pervasive and longstanding is the problem? What other approaches are being taken to address it? What is the approach being pitched here? How do they know it will be effective, based on logistics, local laws and customs, even the attitude of the intended beneficiaries. I imagine such information would be very hard to show vs. tell.

á´…eparted

passages
If someone tries to pull an emotional people in a time or situation where it's not appropriate or valid, I will either just turn off and ignore it/them, or tell them to cut it out and stop.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't like having it shoved in my face. A small degree of emotional appeal is necessary to spark mobilization for and interest in a movement and a drive to acquire change, but I see it often goes way overboard. It gets too sappy & crappy and implodes itself. Backfires and accomplishes the opposite of what it wants. Not worth it.